Radio Shack PRO 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
I have one of these scanner's which recently has stopped showing the frequencies and in fact the dial doesn't even light up anymore even though it still picks up the weather .. When I called Radio Shack they said they don't repair these scanner's after a certain amount of time because it would have to be sent back to the manufactor (which is China) I know it would probably be unwise to throw more money into it but I would still liked to get it repaired if anyone out there in the forum know of a company or someone who does this kinda thing. Needless to say I've been looking at the new scanner's and I'm kinda gun shy when it come's to Radio Shack for their repair and customer service stink's. Matter of fact I'm not to crazy about Uniden either after I bought one of their cordless phone's which turned out almost as bad as my RS scanner. Anyway anyone have any good word's about the Pro 106 or the Pro 164?

I'd also still like to get my Pro 97 fixed as well if anyone know someone who does it.

Thank you.

45SigSauer

It's been a while, but if you do a search I think there was a thread that dealt with this issue with these scanners, either that or it was the 2055, I believe it was an easy fix.

CMale0624

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, I did find a thread that gave very detailed information on how to replace the whole piece where the frequencies show up and even gave the part number. Problem is when you call a Radio Shack local store they don't get part's for hardly anything anymore and their online store is just as bad. In fact I was told that if you don't buy an extended warranty when you buy a new scanner from them then you should forget it if you ever need to repair it. That fact in itself has made me a little gun shy in even buying another Radio Shack scanner, they sure were a different company when they were owned by Tandy. I'm just hoping that someone will read this thread and either have one (PRO 97) that they use for part's or no how to repair this problem. I would definately pay them for their parts and labor. Thank you for the reply.

webley445

Try looking on ebay or do a google search on the part number or various combinations of the scanner name/model/lcd display/part number and see what you find.

You should be able to find the part out there somewhere.

shadcall

I have one of these scanner's which recently has stopped showing the frequencies and in fact the dial doesn't even light up anymore even though it still picks up the weather .. When I called Radio Shack they said they don't repair these scanner's after a certain amount of time because it would have to be sent back to the manufactor (which is China) I know it would probably be unwise to throw more money into it but I would still liked to get it repaired if anyone out there in the forum know of a company or someone who does this kinda thing. Needless to say I've been looking at the new scanner's and I'm kinda gun shy when it come's to Radio Shack for their repair and customer service stink's. Matter of fact I'm not to crazy about Uniden either after I bought one of their cordless phone's which turned out almost as bad as my RS scanner. Anyway anyone have any good word's about the Pro 106 or the Pro 164?

I'd also still like to get my Pro 97 fixed as well if anyone know someone who does it.

Thank you.

I own both a Pro 106 and a 164. I use the 164 at home to monitor my counties EDACS system and it does a great job. I use the 106 when I travel and it does very well on everything I have programmed in it, both digital and analog.

darkspace105

Premium Subscriber
i have one i can no longer use due to rebanding i would sale you for parts pm me

mikieii

Pro 97 External Power Supply

Can I use a 12dc external supply on the Pro 97 portable, manual specs are 9vdc, do not want to cause problem with internal circuitry. Has anyone used this arrangement on the Peo 97??

Thanks

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
I have used 12 v on both a 97 & a Pro95 with no problems. Just make sure of polarity. Note, this is my experience.....I am not saying yours will work with no problems, but mine work just fine at 12-14 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.