Radio Shack Pro652 & CLMRN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill645

Hi.
I am trying to program my Pro652 to listen to CSP and what ever else I can on the CLMRN. I have CT DEEP and CT Transit in their own banks and don't hear anything there either.
I am using WIN500 to program with. I downloaded from RR database.
What is happening is... I don't hear anything. Just keeps scanning. I have Troop F, I and G for talkgroups.
In another bank, I have Wallingford programed in... same thing, I don't hear anything.
Conventional freqs. work, my local FD/PD, RR etc.

What am I missing? or does the 652 not work with the CLMRN?

Thanks.
Bill

Cheeseburgers

They went to Phase 2 voice for most TGs a few months back... you will need a Phase 2 scanner. That said I am humming along with a 325p2

bill645

Great.... I wasnt really planning on buying a new scanner... I have not been listening to CSP or any of the others in a long time. Guess its time to start shopping for scanners again.

Thanks for the quick reply.

cg

Premium Subscriber
As do mine.
However, if someone hasn't read through the various threads about simulcast issues, they may be unhappy with the results depending on their own location by simply buying the first or cheapest radio that says it does P25 Phase 2. I would caution anyone buying a scanner to hear CLMRN, be sure you have the ability to return the radio if you are unhappy with the reception.

chris

bill645

Would the Whistler TRX-2 be worth looking at or would the SDS-200 be a better option? I have not really been paying much attention the past couple of years as to what scanner can do what. Maybe I'll just go with a handheld first, as upgrading everything all at once would be a lot of $$$.
Presently I have a PRO652 in my truck and one in the house, also have the PRO651 handheld. Hate to give up on these, but it looks like I'll have to sooner or later. Probably sooner.

MarkB513

The SDS is a MUCH better option. It's more expensive but it's guaranteed to work better on the state's system.
For in your house, yes. For in your car, not so much. I really hope Uniden is planning on a smaller mobile version. Not to mention I'd drive of the road while trying to focus on the display. My BCD996P2 is installed on the ceiling of my car because there is no other place to put it. It's not like the old days, everything is so compact now!!!

bill645

Looking at the BCD996P2 for my truck... and the SDS100 for everywhere else.
The SDS200 would be nice to have, but I can't see spending $650 on a scanner that is in my work truck.

Cheeseburgers

Sorry cableguy, got two sick kids and a sick wife, had to work from the house today. i promise ill get that to ya

Dan6071

Premium Subscriber
I have a bcd536 and a bcd 996p2 and just bought a whistler trx2 i think the trx2 is a much better scanner much better volume for sure.

Dan6071

Premium Subscriber
my trx2 works great simulcast you must have set the right control channel ,i live in groton and i receive waterford state police and r i fire great.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
"Having the right control channel" has absolutely nothing to do with the simulcast reception of the scanner. The SDS series was intentionally built and designed for simulcast systems. It is meant for them. The TRX, and all other scanner models are not. The only reason why you, or anyone else with a non SDS scanner are getting good reception results lies in the fact you're just getting one site strong enough to not have issues receiving two sites. When I drive through CT, which was often prior to Covid, side by side, my SDS 100 on a VHF antenna out performs my 536HP on CLMRN almost 2 - 1. (My drive is from Litchfield County (Rte 44) through Hartford) and out Route 6... {a very scenic ride, btw}, so it's an excellent test).

Status
Not open for further replies.