radio shack pro97/win97?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
Hello........ I came across this forum looking for answers so I will post my questions and see what happens. I have a pro97 radio shack and I downloaded the win97 software also bought the cable from radio shack. I have been messing with it for two days and I can't figure out how the software works. Is there any tutitoriols online anywhere? I have had the scanner for a few years and I wanted to reprogram it. So any help on the win97 program is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cjm1234

I did not find any tutorials. You need to make sure you are using the extension type thing that came with the cable. Also, if you plugged the usb in before the driver cd was in, you are in trouble. you can uninstall through the cd, and reinstall drivers correctly. Also, i found that if you open win97, and then download from scanner, you should read the scanner config.

TES

. . . You need to make sure you are using the extension type thing that came with the cable. . .
From Don Starr's "Cable" page: The RadioShack version (and possibly the GRE version) comes with an "adapter" - a stereo-to-mono adapter approximately 4 inches long. That adapter is not required for any GRE-made scanner, and it must not be used with the PSR-500 family scanners.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-97

Hello......... I have a pro97 radio shack and I downloaded the win97 software also bought the cable from radio shack. I have been messing with it for two days and I can't figure out how the software works.
Hello and welcome to RadioReference.com!!! The PRO-97 is a great workhorse scanner, but might not work on some newly changed systems. So do let us know where you are and what system you are trying to monitor.

Is there any tutitoriols online anywhere? I have had the scanner for a few years and I wanted to reprogram it. So any help on the win97 program is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
WIN97 is the way to go. I've used it and versions for earlier scanners for about 5 years. In order to understand the software, you MUST understand the scanner. Read the manual on the scanner, then the software makes total sense. It is not something you will pick up "in a couple of hours".

You can read more about that scanner here, and there are a lot of links to additional information. There is an easier to read online manual that helps some people.

The PRO-97 can work from the COM version cable or the USB version cable (20-047). RS is now only selling the USB version (~$35). Make sure to get it installed and working first, before worring about the software. Some people have trouble getting it to work because of needing the correct drivers and their operating system.

To see if it is working, and find out the COM port that has been assigned, go to device manager (through control panel) and look under "PORTS". You'll need to set that same COM port in WIN97. Also, I have never needed the adapter that came with the USB cable for ANY of my scanners. The USB version works with all the programmable scanners I have listed below.

Let's us know where you are having trouble. Good luck & Happy New Year!

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys thanks for the welcome and the replies. I have the correct cable and com port set. I have down some trial downloads. I guess my problem is now where to put the freq. I live in pickaway county ohio and from what I gather it is an edacs trunked system. So I think every freq. has to be in a certain order for it to work. for example( these are the actaul freq. according to RR)
ch bank 0 ch bank 0
01 866.03750c 06 868.56250c
02 866.31250c 07 868.87500
03 866.65000 08 867.26250
04 867.06250 09 868.63750
05 867.62500 10 868.92500

So i take if I enter these in this order it is correct? I also have to the type to EDACS on the win 97 program. Also what does the c ater each one mean? I have more questions but I will hold those till I get this figuered out Thanks

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I guess my problem is now where to put the freq.
Any bank you want. Pick a number between 0 and 9 inclusive.

I live in pickaway county ohio and from what I gather it is an edacs trunked system. So I think every freq. has to be in a certain order for it to work. for example( these are the actaul freq. according to RR)
ch bank 0 ch bank 0
Ok, so let me show you where to program them in bank 0......

001 866.0375
002 866.3125
003 866.6500
004 867.0625
005 867.6250
006 868.5625
007 868.8750
008 867.2625
009 868.6375
010 868.9250

Set the mode of each frequency to EDACS. Set the mode of the BANK to EDACS.

So i take if I enter these in this order it is correct?
Yes. But be aware that not all EDACS systems use all channels. This one appears to use channels 00 to 10. Note that channel 000 is not programmed.

I also have to the type to EDACS on the win 97 program.
Correct, for the BANK and for EACH frequency.

Also what does the c ater each one mean? I have more questions but I will hold those till I get this figuered out Thanks
The c means it is a control channel. On some system types (like Motorola) and some scanners, only the control channel frequency needs to be programmed. But for EDACS, all frequencies must be programmed.

tackman331

Premium Subscriber
Thanks alot gmclam!!!!!!!! That did it! Still have a lot more questions though.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.