Radio Shack Repair-2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesa53

Well, it finally happened, I had a tragedy with one of my scanners. My 2096 was knocked off a shelf and fell approximately 4 feet to the floor, landing on its front panel. This resulted in the volume/squelch knob being pushed into the radio and broken off from the board inside.

Fearing the worst, I took it to my local RS. The person there seemed very knowledgeable and knew exactly what to do in terms of sending the unit in for repair. A $20 deposit was required and they gave me my receipt for the work. Will post the outcome when I get the 2096 back.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
Hope u get it fixed at a low price but looks like alot of damage. i dropped my pro94b down 7 steps to the driveway,battery cover came off and broke then batterys went everywhere. nothing else hurt put back together and used rubber band to hold cover on and works great. can't find cover for it. NOW when I knocked my pro106 off the hutch and hit the table then to the tile floor the batter cover came off and the battery pack went across the room I just stood there looking. Wife said I was turning white, looked it over and looked ok,put back together and works ok. Thank goodness they make them for people like me.

puzzleriddle

One of mine did the same thing, RS had it fixed & back in less than 2 weeks & cost was minimal $50 or less I forget exactly how much. I was very happy wit it:) and yes it was exactly as you described :)

KE4RWS

My Condolences :(

The helpless feeling you get when that happens is the worst experience you'll ever have. Even time itself seems to come to a complete stop when an event like this occurs. All you can do is stand there watching little pieces fly off your beloved little scanner. Then you have to walk over to survey the damage. That's when you determine whether your life is over, partially over, or if you lucked out completely. But even in cases where no real damage was done and your scanner still works okay, you still can't help but feel sick inside, as there is always *something* that tells you it won't be long before you discover what you cannot yet see and your wonderful scanner will start acting up for no apparent reason. Only then does it hit you that the luck you thought you had that day was nothing more than a false feeling.

God that sucks . . .

I hope it's nothing serious and will be a low-cost repair :)

Randy

jamesa53

Thanks to all of you for the condolences and thoughts...actually I heard the noise of it hitting the floor and then went into the room to discover the 2096 on the floor with its volume/squelch knob pushed in to the radio. When I saw that, I knew it was time to take it and place it in RS hands for repair. Realistically (no pun intended) I wouldn't expect any scanner to survive that kind of a drop without some kind of damage and sure enough, mine did not.

jamesa53

Update.....

Received call and message on my home phone stating that the repair estimate for this damage was 83.00. A message was left stating to call back and indicate if I wanted it repaired or not. After 25 mins on hold I was dropped, when I called back a message stated that the repair center was now closed. (I called about 5 mins before 6pm Eastern). I sent them an email stating that I would approve the repair cost. Hope they get it. Their phone service is abysmal.

kilowa22

Wow, I wonder how much of that is labor? It is not that big of job and not too many parts to replace, unless the whole faceplate is cracked near the knobs.

I would say about $40 is labor. If he had cracked the radio's internal PC board it would have cost a whole lot more to replace and fix.

jamesa53

The Front panel is broken out around the area of the volume/squelch knob. That will have to be replaced I assume. Also the pins on the volume/squelch knob where they were soldered to the small PCB were sheared off. Im assuming they are gonna replace the volume/squelch control itself and the front panel. I believe they can resolder a new volume/squelch knob to the small PCB. So for parts I would assume a new front panel and a volume/squelch knob.

The Service Center did get my email authorizing the repairs because they sent a confirmation email back to me. Again their phone serviice is abysmal, best to deal with them on email. The repair was authorized 4/30, so we will see how long it takes to get it back. It has been gone 9 days today.

jamesa53

Parts on Backorder

I checked a day ago using the online system and it said they were waiting on parts that are on backorder for the repair. Wonder how long this will take?

Status
Not open for further replies.