Radio Shack repairs on Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyhoser175

There used to be some info on the Wiki regarding sending the 96 in for repairs but I can't seem to find it. Is it true that it sould only go to Ft Worth and that you should remove your antenna and battery case? I'm going to be sending mine back for the binary leak problem (Sticky topic at top of Radio Shack forum page). I know I should be pretty through and describe the problem in detail, but I haven't heard of anyone sending in their scanner for this problem & I'm afraid I'll get the "Everything is a okay" reply. I'm tempted to video the display, burn it to a disk, and send that in, but I don't want to insult them. Thanks for the advise on getting a tech name to attach to paperwork I send. Wish me luck!

Shackman

It is usually not necessary to send in the accessories unless you think they may be part of the problem. They have power adaptors, antennas etc to use to test the scanner
If you do send anything in with the scanner, have them list everything that you send with it. There is a spot on the form that they fill out for included accessories. When it does come back one way or the other you will get everything back.
Do not hesitate to send a detailed note along with the scanner describing the problem that you are having, that would go a long way toward helping the tech determine what is going wrong with your scanner

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I got the call today- the estimate for the cost of repairs for my pro-96. Hope you all are sitting down, I was and I am glad.

$49.00 for labor

$249.00 for the Digital PC board- OUCH!

Few choices here, it is still cheaper by $100.00 than a new one but why would this part fail in the first place and by the looks of things- at least on this board- I am the only one this has happened to.

I will let you know how it is when I get it back. By the way, they have repair facility in Berlin NJ. Not far from Philadelphia.

Thanks for all of your help

mancow

Database Admin
I was searching for repair stories and found this thread again.

Today I picked up my pro96 after having it repaired under warranty for bad digital decoding.

The thing had the back cover smashed in and the antenna was missing and it STILL doesn't decode as well as the 2096 I have.

They took photos and told me to take it home after giving me a new antenna. I am curous what the heck is going on at that repair center. The unit has scratches on it and it looked like they just threw it in a box of crap and shipped it off. I had a display protecter screen on it and tried to keep it looking just like new but now it's a piece of crap.

The store employees were nice and it was too late in the evening to call Corporate about it. I was pushing for a new unit since it's been through hell and back. They say they will call back with more info.

I am pissed! :twisted:

kc8zdf

I have the same problem with decoding and its not the antenna casue i tried different ones as well. This decoding isuee started happning after the pc bored was replace. They only had the scanner for bout 2 weeks. So not sending it back now and getting it fixed again. Let you know the week turn aroud this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.