Radio Shack repairs on Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any experience with RS repairs on this scanner? What is the average time I might expect it to be in their hands?

I need to send mine back because it is only decoding the digital signal intermittently. I have used vatious antennas so that is not the issue and a friend has plugged my antennas into his pro 96 and gotten the appropriate results.

Also, what software/firmware upgrades should I ask to have performed while it is in the shop?

Thanks

HOLEBILLY

I send my pro 2096 in a week ago, they told me maybe 2 weeks I should know something. I also was told it goes to New York for repairs.

mlevin

I sent mine in about two years ago to have the BNC connector tightned. It took 3-4 weeks. When it came back I noticed it had much better sensitivity than before I sent it. I think they tweeked something.

John_M

During repair they put it through tests to make make sure everything is working properly. During the tests they make sure of proper sensitivity. My scanner took about three weeks for the CPU upgrade. My repair report read "Alligned all circuits for sensitivity" or something to that effect.

Last edited:

KLH

Feed Provider
"Alligned unit to maxium performance" AKA "Didn't find anything wrong"

There are 4 repair centers that scanners are sent to
One in florida, new york, utah and ft worth if I remember correctly.

Average time is 2-4 weeks.

Last edited:

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Was the problem resolved? What kind of costs did you encounter? I think mine was defective right from the start but the good folks at RS told me it was programmed incorrectly.

Thanks again for the input!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I was about to say how much to upgrade the CPU. I don't have the pro 96 anymore. I traded for a 2way radio. I like the 96 but didn't have the features as the 396 has.

Eng74

bravo14 said:
I was about to say how much to upgrade the CPU. I don't have the pro 96 anymore. I traded for a 2way radio. I like the 96 but didn't have the features as the 396 has.
Remember the Pro-96 has been out for almost three years now (2096 for a little over a year) and the 396 has only been out for what about a year now? Things have been changing fast in the world of scanning.

jimmyhat

I also have finally accepted I need to part with my 96 for repairs (gonna feel naked without it.)

1: Noise control knob (won't turn down low enough)
2. Firmware update (Cpu 1.4)
3. Slowly deteriorating reception.

Is it better to take the unit to RS, and let them deal with it? Or, should I package and ship it to Ft. Worth myself?

thanks in advance.

KLH

Feed Provider
You might have to take it to a RadioShack just to get it repaired. You might as well, and let RS pay the shipping costs. It won't cost you anymore to have them ship it vs yourself.

It *looks* like the CPU is about $55 for the PRO 96. Of course you will also have to pay for labor.

jim293

They call me today that it is ready. So I go and pick it up and when I get home guess what it still does not work. (NO VOLUME) So I had to take it back. SO it will probably be gone for another four weeks.

trap5858 said:
Was the problem resolved? What kind of costs did you encounter? I think mine was defective right from the start but the good folks at RS told me it was programmed incorrectly.

Thanks again for the input!
I have not checked this thread since my last post. My pro96 the volume switch had a crackle noise in it . I told them what was wrong at RS but the techs said they tuned it it was only 20 months old at the time, I got it back went straight to the truck plugged it in and the same noise, so i sent it back the same day i received it. The guys at RS store were so confused and tried to blame me for their mistake. when i sent it in the first time i said it has a short in the volume switch I solved the problem for them and the the idiots still could not get it right the 1st time, the repair cost $65. Radio Shack salesman and Techs are-----!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:

nfd_rescue

All I can say is don't send them anything that's been within 10 feet of any kind of water. It's just bad voodoo. Most of their stuff comes back unrepaired because the tech claims it's been water-damaged. I think it's their catch-all excuse for not being able to find the problem, or how to fix it.

johncoleman

repair shop

Hi folks,
Before you send anything in for repair call the r/s 1-800 number and get the repair number for your area. then call them and talk to a tech. explain to him the problem and get his name. when you send it in put att _____ and he will if you are nice give you special attention and have your scanner back to you within that week.i know people who have bought scanners on e bay and had to have them updated or a problem with them and they e mail me crying so to speak i tell them this story and they thank me when they get it back so fast.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
John, I wish I had this information when I started this thread a few weeks ago. I had heard stories about the scanners coming back in no better shape than when they left.

I will let everyone know how mine does when it gets back- if it gets back

Status
Not open for further replies.