Radio shack rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdwatch

Has anyone heard of Radioshack coming out with three new amateur radios sometime in December? I have heard some talk on one of the local repeater nets here about Radioshack returning to amateur radio with three new rigs? Any one hear that?

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Has anyone heard of Radioshack coming out with three new amateur radios sometime in December? I have heard some talk on one of the local repeater nets here about Radioshack returning to amateur radio with three new rigs? Any one hear that?

I heard a similar rumor over a year ago, but obviously nothing ever came of it.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If there is any truth to this rumor,then it's safe to say that a manufacturer we're all familiar with must have some new stuff in their lineup. But radio shak has been licking their chops at the cell phone industry lately,so I doubt it.:roll:
N9ZAS

3rdwatch

Yeah, that is what I have been thinking, but from the way the ragchew was going it sounded to good to be true. I was wonding if that was going around or someone had some real concrete evidence to support it. I did e-mail the customer support from the shack. Who knows. I will wait and see either way. Thanks for the reply guys.

I doubt it's true, I remember this rumor about a year ago. Also, they even took out the scanners, CB's and Shortwave receivers out of the local store, you have to order them on-line, and have them shipped to the store.

gewecke

Banned
I checked The shack's website today and could find no evidence of any amateur radio gear,new or old. Only cb's and frs radios. Oh yeah,and their new Tri-square radios.
N9ZAS

kd8jhc

I also doubt they will. Ironic though that they still have a category on their website called "CB and Ham Radios," although they haven't sold ham radios for years. I emailed them and asked them to either start selling ham radios again, or change the button on their site. They did neither.

K8TEK

Banned
Honestly, who would want one? Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu make good rigs Who would want Radio Shack garbage?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't disagree, but it's all about market convenience. Try to get someone interested in ham radio and then tell them they will have to travel to another city to visit an amateur radio store or order via the phone or web. Some folks don't want to do that. On the other hand, if they can go to their local Radio Shack and pick up a 2m handheld, you just might gain a new ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.