*Radio Shack Store Closing Thread* All posts about Radio Shack closing go here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I will admit the current crop of staff are sorely undertrained and are usually disinterested in anything in the store. While I was looking for an RJ adapter (the associate that came to help me didn't know what I was talking about) another customer walked in looking for a microphone. The same associate said that they might have 1 back there. I counted at least 3 different handheld mics on the shelf.

I'm to the point now that when I go in to get something, I give the associate the part number so they can find it. Sometimes they find it, sometimes they don't ... and when they don't, they go to the manager and ask where it is.

You'd think that would tell RS something, but evidently it doesn't.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The guy that runs the local RadioShack to me is on the ball! Very helpful very knowledgeable! I always try to purchase parts from there.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Well, so much for the #sb48 RS comeback ad just aired. Pfft. Snoozer like overhyped game. Gotta see what $RSH opens tomorrow. Maybe I can short this sucker, or buy it at $2 for a bounce.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Good thing RS ran its ad 1Q of #sb48 so at least some viewers saw it. Advertisers coming up in the 4Q must be jumping off roofs or out windows.

Ensnared

Super Bowl Ad

Since I don't watch the Super Bowl, my better half felt compelled to record the game on the DVR. She wanted to see the various commercials. I went into the other room.

When I walked back into the room, I saw a RS commercial, "out with the old and in with the new." There was some reference to the store being stuck in the 1980's. From what I understand, Super Bowl ads are pretty expensive.

So, we will see what is being discarded from the RS shelves.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Everything I want that I search Radio Shack for, ends up being "Web Only" on their site.
If they dont stock stuff in the stores, what is the point?
I would have bought a Uniden 536HP today if Radio Shack carried them. They dont.
Only one store remotely close to me even had a digital scanner in stock, and it was an older one, for more money that the new top of the line model.

No discone scanner antennas anymore.

Ham radio stuff almost nonexistent.

Nope, nothing has changed. Its a cell phone and battery store now.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

$RSH breaking news today at 1300 EST. Reuters reports that 500 stores are being closed. Looking for link now...

Maybe I can get a bounce off $1.50 as real estate should be worth something...

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

RadioShack to Close About 500 Stores Within Months--Sources
http://on.wsj.com/1lyMIYt

Here it is...

Last edited:

safetyobc

Maybe they shouldn't have spent that $4 million on the Super Bowl commercial last night?

Not that it would matter. Lots of brick and mortar stores are suffering these days.

w2xq

Mentor

$RSH popped 4% Monday after the ad. Today open at $2.55 and now down 10% at $2.24, going south.

When I was in a dealer-owned $RSH last week, there was one remaining new -106 on the shelf. I pushed the store manager about new scanners forthcoming from Whistler (discussed elsewhere) and timing but the person was totally evasive. Went so far as to say the RS scanners may not be from Whistler. After 10 min of back-and-forth, I gave up and went onto another errand. That was a waste of time that I will never get back...

Last edited:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The superbowl ad said they need to brake away from the 80's and move on they should of stayed in the 80's............

rick8054

yes guys it is a shame that the clerks dont even know what they are selling or how to even use it if they do have it..what is the world comming to when a radio shack clerk might also ask you if you would like fries with your cell phone..

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
You guys are way too negative. I would be right there with you if I wasn't an optimistic (some say sucker) share holder. Closing the 500 stores will be trimming much needed dead weight. The empty stores can be leased back out and probably make more money that way. Honestly though I try to avoid Radio Shack and do not know how they have lasted this long. But I do have a hopeful, wishful prediction for the day: I predict that when the Texas Rangers unveil the new name for the ballpark this morning it will be "Radio Shack Field". I hope my lowball CALL option goes through before the announcement!

Ensnared

Preparation H Sponsor

You guys are way too negative. I would be right there with you if I wasn't an optimistic (some say sucker) share holder. Closing the 500 stores will be trimming much needed dead weight. The empty stores can be leased back out and probably make more money that way. Honestly though I try to avoid Radio Shack and do not know how they have lasted this long. But I do have a hopeful, wishful prediction for the day: I predict that when the Texas Rangers unveil the new name for the ballpark this morning it will be "Radio Shack Field". I hope my lowball CALL option goes through before the announcement!

Given the current state of affairs with the Rangers, in the aftermath of Nolan's departure, I feel they should have selected Preparation H as a stadium sponsor.

RS needs to brand something, don't they? I'm happy it wasn't the Rangers.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
The only way they could survive IMO is to shrink down to a handfull of key stores across the Nation then focus back on the original niche like milf suggests, then give HRO and the like a run for their money. Ham radio oughta be in their stores!

I know this is a very old post I’m quoting but I found your comment interesting. However, I don’t think this suggestion would work and I’ll tell you why. I’ve been in four different HROs in California within the past 12 months. Every time I walk in there, I see pretty much the same guys chatting with the owners – I am VERY good with faces, almost photographic if you will, and I remember a face forever. All of these guys (ALL males, NO women) are at least in their last 50’s to 70’s range. I’m 52 and I was ALWAYS the youngest person in the stores. Hardly anything is actually being bought - it's just a BS session, guys talking about antennas, DXing etc.

Now, in order for your business model to work, you would have to assume there is this great, big ham radio hobbyist demographic whose needs aren’t being met, and if RS would only cater to this demographic they would thrive. But as I said, there are no long lines of people “overcrowding” the existing HROs, at least the ones I’ve been in. If RS DID dwindle down to a “handful of key stores”, it would literally be a handful – perhaps a dozen stores could easily handle the ham radio/scannist demographic.

I will also say:

1. In all the times I have been to HRO I have NEVER seen anyone look at or even talk about scanners.
2. Same thing with Radio Shack. NEVER saw anyone talk about scanners or ham radio equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.