Radio Shack Telescoping Whip Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord1

I just picked up the RS telescoping antenna that is center loaded for my Pro-96
(p/n 20-006). I have the RS 800 mhz antenna as well as the Diamond RH77A but I wanted to experiment with this antenna. The antenna so far seems to be the equal of the RS 800 mhz in the 800mhz range at least in my area and superior to the Diamond for aircraft reception.

This is my only concern, and perhaps it is unfounded but I figured I would ask anyway. Since the antenna is designed to be adjusted in length for optimal results, will this frequent adjusting have an adverse effect on the scanner's antenna connector? I am careful when adjusting the antenna to only apply vertical pressure but I am worried that the frequent adjustment will somehow cause additional stress on the antenna connector. Also, when fully extended and walking about, it would seem that the additional weight of the antenna would cause more pressure and perhaps additional wear on the connector. Am I being overly paranoid or are my concerns valid? Has anyone experienced problems with their scanner antenna connector that could be attributed to the use of a telescoping antenna? Thanks.

Ed

rpowley

I have this antenna on one of my PRO-95's. It does a fairly good job. The stress on the connector is a concern of mine also. I normally take the antenna off when making major adjustments. I also don't walk around with it fully extended. The scanner is normally sitting on a table on the patio.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with rpowley. I have that antenna for my PRO-93 and I agree that it is a great antenna, but I never use it while in walking around, it is usually just sitting on my desk. I also agree that if you would turn the scanner horizontally, or do a similar movement with the antenna fully extended, it would put alot of stress on the BNC connector.

When making adjustments, I hold the antenna firmly in place with one hand so it doesn't put stress on the scanner, and adjust the antenna with the other hand.

Hope this helps, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.