Radio shack triple trunking handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

I live in Flower Mound, TX. I bought a Radio Shack Triple Trunking handheld scanner about 4 years ago. Had another 1000 channel scanner but when my area started to do trunking, i had to change scanners. Worked great till about 5 days ago. It appears to be working, still scans but no noises. I can manually listen to weather and other frequencies and it works fine. I have squelch all the way down. It is just like they scanner gods changed all frequencies in my area. When i bought scanner there was a scanner guru who programmed all cities that i listen to in the Metroplex. Radio Shack closed and I lost track of him! Anyone with any ideas?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is a very important question - what is the model number? It would be a PRO-xxxx (could be 2, 3 or 4 digits...)

Mike

w1bp

Premium Subscriber
This is a very important question - what is the model number? It would be a PRO-xxxx (could be 2, 3 or 4 digits...)

Mike

PRO-164?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I live in Flower Mound, TX. I bought a Radio Shack Triple Trunking handheld scanner about 4 years ago. Had another 1000 channel scanner but when my area started to do trunking, i had to change scanners. Worked great till about 5 days ago. It appears to be working, still scans but no noises. I can manually listen to weather and other frequencies and it works fine. I have squelch all the way down. It is just like they scanner gods changed all frequencies in my area. When i bought scanner there was a scanner guru who programmed all cities that i listen to in the Metroplex. Radio Shack closed and I lost track of him! Anyone with any ideas?

PRO-164?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If w1bp's guess as to model Pro-164 is correct, that scanner will no longer receive your cities radio traffic. It appears that Flower Mound has made the move from the Lewisville trunked system (which your scanner does receive) to the new Denton County system: Denton County Public Safety Trunking System, Denton, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

That is a digital system. P25 Phase II, which the analog scanner you have cannot receive or track. Eventually, Lewisville itself will move to this new system. You would need a Phase II capable scanner to regain the ability to hear your local agencies.

Glenn

Son of a gun!

Well, I looked, it is a Model 164! So it'useable again until they go to Phase 2? In the meantime I need to program the new frequencies? Gosh, thanks for yalls help, thought I had gone nuts!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm....it won't receive Flower Mound. and word is the Lewisville move is not far off! But even if it won't receive the PD/FD stuff its still a very good scanner. You live very close to DFW Airport and the air traffic control comms are very interesting...throw in the ham SKYWARN stuff for a better idea of thunderstorms and possible tornadoes when that time rolls around again.

Sorry you lost your guru...but a premium membership here on RR and you can download much of what you need in a snap....

N8IAA

Well, I looked, it is a Model 164! So it'useable again until they go to Phase 2? In the meantime I need to program the new frequencies? Gosh, thanks for yalls help, thought I had gone nuts!

According to the RR database, they are already Phase II. The 164 will no longer work on the system.
Maybe a Pro-668 that does Phase II.
Larry

Glenn

Pro 668

Ok, think I understand. A Pro 668 will scan Flower Mound and Lewisville, TX. Since all Radio Shacks are closed is there anywhere I can buy this scanner?

trp2525

Ok, think I understand. A Pro 668 will scan Flower Mound and Lewisville, TX. Since all Radio Shacks are closed is there anywhere I can buy this scanner?

The PRO-668 is only sold at Radio Shack stores and not on their website so you would have to find a store that has it in stock (https://www.radioshack.com/products...n-digital-trunking-scanner?variant=5717075397). The regular price is $500 but it is currently on sale for $375 (25% off). Searching on eBay would be another option but YMMV if you are looking for a scanner that is brand-new.

The Whistler WS1080 is the same scanner as the PRO-668 so you might also try searching for that model. The advantage of the Whistler model is that you get a free DMR firmware upgrade from Whistler which is currently not available for the PRO-668 (and may never become available for the PRO-668).

The Whistler WS1088 is the same scanner as the WS1080 and the PRO-668 with the addition of a keyboard on the front of the scanner (https://whistlergroup.com/collections/scanner-radios/products/ws1088-digital-handheld-scanner-radio). You might also want to add the WS1088 to your search for a new scanner. Like the WS1080, the WS1088 also includes a free DMR firmware upgrade from Whistler.

Status
Not open for further replies.