Radio Shack vs GRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

VFN078

I'm thinking about buying a new scanner to replace the PRO-96. The
dilemma is should I go with a PRO-106 or a PSR-500 or 800? I know the
106 and 500 are basically the same other than cosmetic differences.
Thoughts? Opinions?

captclint

Mentor
I'm thinking about buying a new scanner to replace the PRO-96. The
dilemma is should I go with a PRO-106 or a PSR-500 or 800? I know the
106 and 500 are basically the same other than cosmetic differences.
Thoughts? Opinions?
In general, RS is not customer friendly with scanners if you should have any questions or issues. They are slow to make available the firmware updates, whereas GRE is very accessible on the web, responsive to complaints and feature improvement requests, and are quick to make available firmware updates. For my money, go with the OEM, and not the retail sales arm.

i got the GRE-800 few months ago and very happy with the scanner it works better than the bc396xt i was testing out from a friend so the GRE-800 was the best buy and works great looking to buy the mobile type scanner when its out.

larry308

I have both, the Radio Shack PR106 and the GRE PSR-500. Of the two I like the 500 better. It recieves signals the 106 misses. With Radio Shack closing repair centers and moving everything to a central repair center, I would worry about turn around time. Updates to firmware and software are available on line with the PSR-500 a lot quicker than with Radio Shack. Plus GRE's on line tech support is great if you have a problem.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Calibration and production runs can change how well one radio will receive vs. another at the consumer price point, however these two models are nearly the same with exception to cosmetics. The support in regards to firmware changes is the same (GRE vs. OEM), however I'm sure RadioShack has an extra QA step before releasing updated firmware that would delay between the different radios and the service, as you say, is much better through GRE. I like the feel, position of the display, and location of speaker on the Pro-106. The PSR500 case has a little give to the case, if you squeeze it in the hand just a little.

If the next PSR-510 (?) looks and feels like my 310, I may change my mind. The 310 just feels a and looks more solid to me.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Between the PSR500 and Pro-106, go for the 106, if you already have the programming cable.

NYRHKY94

VFN078:

You didn't mention whether buget was a consideration for this purchase decision. If it isn't, then the previous posters have provided some good advice relative to the GRE model. If money is an issue however, consideration of the Pro-106 has a lot of merit. Assuming you were talking "new", the Pro-106 has generally speaking been on sale often enough that you can usually get one anywhere from $279 to $349 depending on the sale and any coupons that are on-line at the time. My last two Pro-106 purchases (new) were $279 & $299 respectively.

I do not have the PSR-500 to compare for you, however I do have the PSR-600. GRE does make an excellent scanner and has very good support. On the other hand, I have not had any real issues (product or support) with my Pro-106's or Pro-197's. I tend to like a bargain when I can get one and the RS models have been great purchases for me given the cost differential with the GRE and Uniden - even when factoring in the AC adapter & USB cable.

For what it's worth......

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
VFN078:

You didn't mention whether buget was a consideration for this purchase decision. If it isn't, then the previous posters have provided some good advice relative to the GRE model. If money is an issue however, consideration of the Pro-106 has a lot of merit. Assuming you were talking "new", the Pro-106 has generally speaking been on sale often enough that you can usually get one anywhere from $279 to $349 depending on the sale and any coupons that are on-line at the time. My last two Pro-106 purchases (new) were $279 & $299 respectively.

I do not have the PSR-500 to compare for you, however I do have the PSR-600. GRE does make an excellent scanner and has very good support. On the other hand, I have not had any real issues (product or support) with my Pro-106's or Pro-197's. I tend to like a bargain when I can get one and the RS models have been great purchases for me given the cost differential with the GRE and Uniden - even when factoring in the AC adapter & USB cable.

For what it's worth......

Agreed, with exception to the lack of PC/IF cable (as Krokus pointed out) and AC Adapter that cost extra. Also, a rumor has surfaced of a Black Friday price of $299.99. Something to keep in mind.

gambill1

I used to get radio shack scanners, now I am geared towards GRE. One reason is they include more stuff than radio shack, that you have to pay extra for. Some of there stuff is over priced to. Unless you find and older person who has worked for radio shack a long time, most of the new people don't have a clue to scanners.

I hope I didn't affend anybody by using the term older person in my post. Just trying to say most know more about this stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.