• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio stack Late model Durango..

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Low profile UHF and higher antennas can work well. 1/4 wavelength on UHF is only 6" long, so shrinking that down into a pepper shaker size antenna isn't too much of an issue. It is less than ideal if you venture out unto the fringes, but not by a huge amount.

However…..

VHF? Don't waste your money.
They suck.

— and here goes my explanation of how bad they suck --

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, that I know who has purchased one of those has regretted it. I mean they hate them so much they throw them FAR away. They are very narrow in their useable bandwidth, like 1MHz. Horrible performance. Plus, you gotta drive around like a huge dork with a black soup can sitting on top of your vehicle. People that don't know what it is will point and laugh. People who do know what it is will point and laugh. The only people who will not point and laugh will be people that didn't notice you driving by, but they'll be ready next time.

Did I mention they suck? Seriously. The only application where they work:
You only need one frequency or very closely spaced frequencies.
You don't need to run much power
You have an extremely overbuilt radio system that will make up for the horrible antenna performance.
Or, you want people to point and laugh.

but seriously….
They do suck, and they cost a lot of money to suck that bad. You actually pay MORE for the suckage than a less sucky antenna. Why those things are still on the market is beyond me.

A 1/4 wave VHF will outperform it by a long shot and people won't point and laugh. Plus, the 1/4 wave is way lower profile. And they don't suck.
Where ARE my manners?
Once again I'm late with my reply. Thank you so very much for your reply. I have confirmed what you said about BOTH Antennas and their performance- in fact the guy that i had the chat with used a lot more colorful language and was a lot more direct than you were.

He was downright upset at the lack of performance of his VHF can- which he purchased on the advice of another guy who swore up and down that it was the best performing Antenna since sliced bread.Perhaps HIS situation was similar to what you pointed out where this thing actually does work. I have seen photos of the UHF "salt/pepper" shaker Antennas... I have never seen the VHF Model,,, I'd like to see just how big this thing actually is. Do you have a link or a photo? I'd really like to see it's size.

On the other hand the UHF model Antenna he raved about.He had been trying to get away from the single rod antenna and this did fit the bill. I see the UHF models on everything from marked/unmarked Patrol cars to Fire chief/EMS vehicles to Radio hobbyist.
I don't want an Antenna that Sucks!
Thanks again.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
When I was still working the battery under the seat had become a common thing. All the Chevy vehicles we got had them.
I use low profile for 800 and 900 mhz antennas as the hi-gain antenna hits the garage door frame, and being as stiff as it is I worrry about bending the roof panel, and for VHF and UHF I use standard unity antenna's. Still not confident enough of the panel thickness to put a low band on the roof.
A few pics, sorry if they are a little dark as it is dark here right now. I couldnt get a decent pic of the roof line too dark. It also appears the double stick for the fuse panel came loose. I havn't been in that cubby since Dayton in May.
Thats some beautiful equipment in a nicely laid out space.

RFI-EMI-GUY

When I was still working the battery under the seat had become a common thing. All the Chevy vehicles we got had them.
I use low profile for 800 and 900 mhz antennas as the hi-gain antenna hits the garage door frame, and being as stiff as it is I worrry about bending the roof panel, and for VHF and UHF I use standard unity antenna's. Still not confident enough of the panel thickness to put a low band on the roof.
A few pics, sorry if they are a little dark as it is dark here right now. I couldnt get a decent pic of the roof line too dark. It also appears the double stick for the fuse panel came loose. I havn't been in that cubby since Dayton in May.
Is that an HT220 impedance matching tune up doohicky I see?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The SRT is the Dual exhaust Go very FAST HP model right?
There are two SRTs, depending on the model year. For 2023, the SRT 392 has the 392 cubic inch (6.4 liter) naturally-aspirated Hemi V-8 rated at 525 horsepower. The SRT Hellcat (an homage to the Grumman F6F Hellcat fleet-defense fighter plane from World War II) has the 6.2 liter (372 cubic inch) supercharged Hemi V-8 rated at 707 horsepower. Both SRTs include several other features such as larger brakes, all-wheel drive, dual exhaust outlets, revised suspension with adaptive damping, and other trim and body updates. All Durangos have dual exhaust outlets except for the SXT model which has the V-6 engine.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Anyone here have a Havis box with some radio goodness installed in their Durango? Pro/cons? ease of installation? difficulty?
I have seen YouTube videos from up-fitters who mention that installing the Havis console in a Durango is a pain in the behind. Disassembling and removing the OEM console seems to be the issue as on civilian versions, the transmission shifter is in the console (the Havis console has a cut out for the shifter), plus there are a few modules in the OEM console that have to be relocated to the Havis console.

AK9R

Super Moderator
It was until they released the 2023 Hellcat.
You mean the 2021 Hellcat. That was the first year for the model. Dodge claimed at the time that the Durango SRT Hellcat was going to be a 1-year, limited production model. A lot of buyers paid top dollar, well over the $114,000 MSRP, to get a 2021 Hellcat thinking they'd never have another opportunity to get one. Then, Dodge announced that there would be a 2023 Hellcat with the same specs at the 2021. Folks who bought the 2021 are not happy and have filed a class action lawsuit against Stellantis and FCA alleging that the defendants engaged in deceptive business practices, false advertising, and fraud. I believe that the suit is asking for $5 million in damages.

jhooten

You mean the 2021 Hellcat.

Yeah, brain fart. I was looking at the 23 availability last night and my fingers just went there. (There are five within 250 miles of me, all priced over sticker. Then again, with the performance division going away, so is everything with a Hellcat or Redeye in it.)

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
There are two SRTs, depending on the model year. For 2023, the SRT 392 has the 392 cubic inch (6.4 liter) naturally-aspirated Hemi V-8 rated at 525 horsepower. The SRT Hellcat (an homage to the Grumman F6F Hellcat fleet-defense fighter plane from World War II) has the 6.2 liter (372 cubic inch) supercharged Hemi V-8 rated at 707 horsepower. Both SRTs include several other features such as larger brakes, all-wheel drive, dual exhaust outlets, revised suspension with adaptive damping, and other trim and body updates. All Durangos have dual exhaust outlets except for the SXT model which has the V-6 engine.
Thanks for the reply.. Just driving around here in NY they must be giving them away.. They are very popular around here.i fi i make this move i have to keep in mind that i tow a small bass boat, and possibly a small Travel trailer The worst of it is that in addition to needing roof real estate for antennas I also will be installing a roof rack for various things. something is telling me that i might need something bigger.
I dont need 700HP to get to the lake before everyone else.

Last edited:

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
I have seen YouTube videos from up-fitters who mention that installing the Havis console in a Durango is a pain in the behind. Disassembling and removing the OEM console seems to be the issue as on civilian versions, the transmission shifter is in the console (the Havis console has a cut out for the shifter), plus there are a few modules in the OEM console that have to be relocated to the Havis console.
I used to install back in the day. I've been out of the game so long that it might pay to have someone else do it.
Still looking though.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
You mean the 2021 Hellcat. That was the first year for the model. Dodge claimed at the time that the Durango SRT Hellcat was going to be a 1-year, limited production model. A lot of buyers paid top dollar, well over the $114,000 MSRP, to get a 2021 Hellcat thinking they'd never have another opportunity to get one. Then, Dodge announced that there would be a 2023 Hellcat with the same specs at the 2021. Folks who bought the 2021 are not happy and have filed a class action lawsuit against Stellantis and FCA alleging that the defendants engaged in deceptive business practices, false advertising, and fraud. I believe that the suit is asking for $5 million in damages.
What's $5 million divided by how many people who bought the 2021 model?

HT-220

WB2ZRP,WRTR873
I forgot to ask...
Does anyone have a few shots of their roofs.. with the Antennas in question? I can use my Imagination.. Just curious
THANKS!
2020 Chevy Colorado, middle UHF, left rear UHF, right rear 800mhz

Attachments

• antenna1.jpg
    antenna1.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 46
  • antenna2.jpg
    antenna2.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 47
  • antenna3.jpg
    antenna3.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 46

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have never seen the VHF Model,,, I'd like to see just how big this thing actually is. Do you have a link or a photo? I'd really like to see it's size.

About the size of a can of soup. And, as stated, subpar performance. UHF and up are good, though.