Radio Suddenly Stops Recording To SD

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ypj

Hello all,

I have a BCD 536 HP now for about 4 months and have been recording to the SD card for as long as I care to without problem FWIW I'm using a 32 GB card.

The past weeks or so I've left the 536 recording to the card as usual but when I return to the radio several hours later or the next morning the recordings have stopped. No one has touched the radio, it is plugged into a working UPS with no power failures, no one else knows how to turn the recordings off. In fact it just sits in the dark with the display light off.

The only change is that I have now connected the 536 to a new PC running Windows 10 via USB cable and unbeknownst to me a couple of the power saving features were overlooked and switched on which would result in the PC sleeping.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on? I really miss the reliability of the SD recordings. Could the PC sleeping be affecting the recordings to the card?

Thanks

Richard

racingfan360

Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on? I really miss the reliability of the SD recordings. Could the PC sleeping be affecting the recordings to the card?

On the face of it, it would seem that the power saving features might be impacting the USB connection to your 536. To help narrow down the problem, what happens if you disconnect the USB lead from the 536 and run it for a day or so?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you confirmed that the SD isn't full? (Apologies, but sometimes them little things get overlooked).

Ubbe

I have actually seen my 536 rebooting by itself, 3 or 4 times, during the 2 months I have owned it. Of course the recording will have stopped as it sets to off by default at startup.

/Ubbe

marksmith

I have actually seen my 536 rebooting by itself, 3 or 4 times, during the 2 months I have owned it. Of course the recording will have stopped as it sets to off by default at startup.

/Ubbe
Good sign that your SD card is failing.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

Ubbe

Good sign that your SD card is failing.

I'm not so sure about that. It rebooted twice the first week and once the next week. Then I let it be on for longer periods, recording at night, and I noticed it had stopped recording in the morning once or twice the following weeks. It tends to stabilise over time. If it is a SD card problem it then tends to mature with the milage.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

How many audio files are on the card? Not the size in MB but number of files like 32,000

I erase almost daily after play back so there are probably max 20-30 files with 100 recordings in each.
I got problem after the latest firmware upgrade and doesn't help by downgrading. It displays bogus TGs in DMR and the latest active TG from one system carries over to the next system that have a converstion with a totally different TG. And trunk DMR works much worse and if I set the correct color code it doesn't decode at all.

Manually entering a frequency works perfect in DMR but programming as a one frequency system not so much.

I have tried, using the same original SD card, to reformat and install from scratch but see no improvement.
Maybe I should try a different SD card and see what happens. I got a 32GB in my dashcam I could use.

/Ubbe

marksmith

I'm not so sure about that. It rebooted twice the first week and once the next week. Then I let it be on for longer periods, recording at night, and I noticed it had stopped recording in the morning once or twice the following weeks. It tends to stabilise over time. If it is a SD card problem it then tends to mature with the milage.

/Ubbe
If your radio is rebooting, or stops recording on its own, I would suggest that there is a very high probability that you have SD card problems.

These are the kinds of things that are not normal operations, and are the result of SD card issues.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

SCPD

QRT
I have had the same issue with my 536HP and multiple SD cards.
The scanner just stops when it feels like it. Oh .. it does not reboot.

Likely a Uniden bug .. but honestly I never expect them to ever fix anything. :roll:
It is not connected to a computer or anything, totally stand alone and sitting on one talkgroup.

My Homepatrol 1 will record fine for days and days until it is nearing the full mark .. the 536HP, however will stop recording.

luckygecko

There are various threads where this is covered. Fingers are always pointed at the sd cards, but like some posters, I have the same problems with this and have used multiple verfied good sd cards with same results.

I doubt it will be fixed by uniden. My 536 "flagship" scanner will most likely be the last uniden scanner I own. As a matter of fact, if they ever come out with NXDN support I doubt I will pay to upgrade it.

kc9svj

Recording stops

I'm having the same issue of the recording function mysteriously stopping for no apparent reason on my 436. I will try to dump the card and format it but I suspect that is not it. Like others I have checked the card and it still shows 30% left on it.

SCPD

QRT
This appears to be a Uniden thing with the 436/536. I am still testing my 536HP on this one.
For those of us that record a lot .. this is frustrating.

My solution .. Whistler.

Status
Not open for further replies.