Radio Tower Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmoscanner

Can anyone steer me in the direction of a company or individual that can handle non-commercial radio tower installation down in SE Missouri? I need to add a tower to a house and it is proving to be a little beyond my capabilities.

Thanks
Gregg

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Check with your local ham radio club if there is one. They usually will help, and have all the needed equipment (Gin pole for example).
Its next to impossible to erect a tower without one...and you should never try to do it alone. To dangerous.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Can anyone steer me in the direction of a company or individual that can handle non-commercial radio tower installation down in SE Missouri? I need to add a tower to a house and it is proving to be a little beyond my capabilities.

Thanks
Gregg

Can you get someone you know, or a relative to do it for you?

I would not add the tower to the house, I would have it separate from the house ; but that is just me. Pour the concrete pad, raise the antenna and let the concrete set. It is time taking, but it would be cheaper for you to do it - correct.

There is a hundred or more different ways to do the job, and there is also info on the internet.

One way is to build a "Hinge" in your concrete base that is attached to the base of the tower. All you have to do is "Walk" the antenna up and then place the "set bolts" - pour the concrete - let the concrete set, then do the particulars.

I seen it before - I believe on this website.

In most situations, I see a tower that is added onto the house as an additional hazard ( a low hazard ..... but a hazard ) and headache. Why not set the hazard, and the weight away from the house?

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ksmoscanner

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I am not actually putting it "on" the house. Planned on putting it in the back yard and was hoping for it to be self supporting on a poured concrete pad. I have plenty of room to put it where ever I want but wanted to keep it close to the radio room to keep coax run length as short as possible. If run lengths did not matter I would put it up on top of the tallest hill a few acres over from the house....that would be sweet.

My place is way out in the middle of nowhere and getting anyone out here is a chore. Currently using an old mil surplus sectioned mast on a hinged base with some guy wires anchoring it but its time to upgrade. Needs to be taller.

Again, thanks for the tips

Gregg

teufler

are you looking at an install in Bunker? If so, Check with Billie Mead, who own the Bunker Repeater. The Commercial radio dealer in Jeff City takes care of Viburnum Fire and Police. They have taken down some antennas on the water towere in Vibrnum. Really not many hams in that part of the state. There more in Potosi, or up in Sullivan. I have contacts in Sullivan also.

Status
Not open for further replies.