Radio Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.
:arrow: How did they hold up during Charlie(?)?
:arrow: How will they hold up against a possible Class 5(?) Storm?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Charlie leveled some towers, but more of the wireless issues delt with the BellSouth T1 interconnects and FPL power.

On the south east coast of FL we design the newer towers, or have upgraded the older ones, to 110 to 120MPH survivability for 813a that I manage. The west coast had a lower wind speed survivability rating, but I'm sure that will change.

Of course a lot of other things has to say with a tower survival such an current load, maintenance, local tornado activity, and damage from flying debris. Only time will tell how they will fair.

precoislen

Mark,
All that was done since Andrew hit in '92 right? I know Dade County changed thier whole way of thinking about building codes and constructability issues after that time. Plus alot of influence from Mr. Danger down at MD County's Building Department.

Not sure about Broward/ PB counties though.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach were all brought up to the 120 standard in most of the areas. Some of the newer coastal construction is rated at 140.

I have a roof top site on Singer Island and the mounting structure holding the antennas is designed to 160 sustained and 180 3 second gust. Too bad the antennas will peel away at 125.

EMS12

First hand observation.

When our small team of communicators went to Punta Gorda after Charley we noticed a lot of towers still standing. Being hams our eye is natuarly drawn to towers.

I noticed many if the commercial towers were still standing but the antennas were missing and so where the dish horns.

Other towers seemd to be standing near the lower base but the top half was folded over and the guy wires were every where.

But for the most part is seemd that the commercial towers faired well. At least the ones we saw. Now this doesn't take into account the ones we didn't see and were in fact blown down.

But we did see standing towers that sustained minimal damage. The only damage seemed to be the antennas. There were a few hams that reported that there towers were still standing but there beam was blown to somewhere near BFE and there vertical was completly destroyed.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.