Radio undervoltage from circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9ZNV

Premium Subscriber
Hi all. Im just curious of something.
I just ordered part of everything I need to install my kenwood tm-v71 in my truck. One thing I plan on adding is a powerwerx pwrguard.
http://www.powerwerx.com/fuses-circuit-protection/pwrguard-protects-the-radio.html

Its published low voltage shut off is 11.5 volts. I did my best to engineer the circuit to keep the voltage drop down so it will be what it will be. I plan on hooking a light bar into the same circuit so this device should help if the engine is off to long. I intend to protect my ability to start the truck and my truck type is notorious for charging system issues so the top end may be handy.

A curious observation is that my kenwood calls for 13.8v +/- 15% which comes out to 11.73 volts. I'm curious if any damage could occur if the battery ran that low and the radio transmitted or would the radio just be smart about it and shut off?

The odds of this happening are relatively slim but I like to know the limits of my equipment.

I may use the xband repeat from time to time and that could get me down to those voltages over a period of time.

I did a search in the forums but perhaps I do not have the judo skills to find the answer here.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

LtDoc

There should be no damage done. That 'pwrguard' would shut down the radio anyway.
- 'Doc

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Every radio is a little different as to how it behaves below minimum voltage. Output power is sure to drop as the input voltage decreases. Its always possible the memory could be corrupted by a brownout. I use software to program my radios which gives me a "backup" of the memory load. Also have the manual page marked for how to do a multi-finger master reset.

Mike

snip...

A curious observation is that my kenwood calls for 13.8v +/- 15% which comes out to 11.73 volts. I'm curious if any damage could occur if the battery ran that low and the radio transmitted or would the radio just be smart about it and shut off?

snip...

KA9QPN

Just from a tactical standpoint, I'd pull two separate feeds for the lighting and the radio. This way, if you blow a fuse, you don't lose everything.

KC9ZNV

Premium Subscriber
I see what your saying but the light bar is only an extra things over the standard flashers. It only will get intemitant use.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.