radio use in AK

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatnip

While hunting in AK last year the outfitter said that radio use while hunting is illegal and that the game and fish dept monitors all radio freq (FRS, GMRS, and ham band) to enforce the law. Does anyone know if this is true? I can see it might be against the law to use to to go after game animals, but to monitor all of these freq would be a full time job even in small areas. Was hunting on Kodiak Island.

jatnip

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
What could be the harm of using two ways? well FRS and all to communicate with your hunting party, not like your going to tag bambi and chase em down the woods and telling someone up ahead "bambi's coming your way, take em down"

jak122

Because of the terrain and vastness of Alaska, it would be a daunting task. In addition to FRS, GMRS and Ham frequencies they would also need to monitor CB and Marine VHF.

Since the Coast Guard monitors Marine VHF, at least on and around inland waters, they would probably refer any abuse to AK F&G.

It is a legitimate regulation and while I don't doubt some attempt is made to enforce it, I wonder how they do it?

Maybe some sort of wide range frequency detector like a spectrum analyzer in a plane or helicopter?
Although air flight is quite expensive, I don't see some scanner sitting in a field office somewhere as being very effective.

joen7xxx

There are a lot of "interesting" regulations regarding hunting and "scouting" activities related to it. I think AZ also prohiits the use of radions but I've never looked into it. I guess they think you will coordinate animal movement or something. In Nevada, airplane tail numbers are routinely noted over active deer hunting areas. NDOW does not want folks scouting where the herds are ahead of hunts. Hard to enforce .... Just another thing they can use if they happen upon Problematic Hunting Parties, I guess.

n1iic

Geek
While having a scanner go through all of the possible frequencies used is possible, the terrain would limit the effectiveness of a fixed location. To be able to do this effectively would need a high end scanner and can they actually budget this?
If they can, throw it into a mobile and now they are only spot checks while on patrol. Then they have to figure that an amateur portable is easy to modify and now they could be anywhere from 27 mhz to 1300 mhz never mind the odd split portables to be found.

Now, if you are only using this to chat with your buddy to keep your sanity and safety while hunting, there seems to be no problem with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.