• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon28

kenwood tk-272G vs kenwood tk-2170? What one is the best? What kenwood radio is the overall best?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
kenwood tk-272G vs kenwood tk-2170? What one is the best? What kenwood radio is the overall best?

Very open ended question that would be difficult to answer without a lot more information. What you want to do with it, how much you want to spend, etc.

TK2170 will give you more options.

Best overall? That really depends on your definition of "best". Probably one of the best Kenwood radios on the market right now (in the VHF Portable, like those above) would be the TK-5210. Wait a few months and take a look at the NX-5000 when it comes out.

Brandon28

How how are the two models? I just. Want to be able to send and rec. and scan the freq that are on the radio. But want a good two radio and nothing old.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
How how are the two models?

Not entirely sure what you mean... They are different models, that are quite different in operation, and programming.

The TK-272g only does 32 channels. It is narrowband capable, as it is listed as being capable of 2.5KHz steps, but other than that is is a pretty basic radio. Looking at the spec sheet, it comes in 2 band splits on VHF. Although I imagine it is like any other Kenwood, it is likely forgiving out of its rated band split ie: a 150-174MHZ version will likely go down to 144, maybe even 140MHz.

I just want to be able to send and receive and scan the frequencies that are on the radio.

Well the both radios will do that.

But want a good two radio and nothing old.

The TK-272g is an older radio...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How how are the two models?

The condition of them would depend on how they were treated. Unlikely you'll find a new TK-272, so buying one off the used market would be anyones guess.
The 2170 is a newer model, and you might be able to get a new one, or a good condition used one. A newer model on the used market is no guarantee that it would be in good condition.

I just. Want to be able to send and rec. and scan the freq that are on the radio. But want a good two radio and nothing old.

Either radio -should- be able to do this, if programmed correctly. New, out of the box, they are not programmed for anything. Buying used can be anyones guess.

Some more info would help:

Where are you located? Rules vary by country, and what might be illegal here in the USA might not be somewhere else. You really should follow the laws in the country you reside in.

Do you have a license for the service you intend to use them in?

Not sure what your level of experience is, some insight into your background would help us steer you in the right direction. The radio will need to be programmed to frequencies you are legally allowed to use. If you don't have any experience programming radios, you should probably rethink this, at least get someone local to help you. To program these radios you would need specific programming software and programming cable. The software isn't impossible to figure out, but if you haven't done it before, it is really easy to make a mistake, or worse, interfere with someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.