• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radioddity Radioddity DB25 D - issues.

OldRabbit

This thread is intended as a meeting point for those having issues with the new (From Radioddity) DB25-D DMR ultra compact mobile radio.

Unit appear to be a slightly updated Retevis RT-73 - apparently without the hardware receive/transmit interrupt issues reported on the RT73.

I have found the hardware to work perfectly after a week of use in my car. Only major hardware complaint is the need to press a 'Volume' button before turning the dial to adjust volume. Close to impossible to do safely while driving.

Also, small size and placement of dial on the left side of the unit make your hand cover the display while turning the dial - at least when using the right hand in a left side drivers vehicle.

Programming software has a serious bug, occasionally deleting/moving channels around - probably when you add a new zone. Do back-up the channels, zones, groups to a separate file (by hitting save after editing) - before you start working on another item - like switching from channels to zones.

Once learned, it worked fine, had never had any software crashes or connection issues to radio.

Range is excellent, can connect to repeaters not in line of sight and 20 km+ away - while parked in a city with lots of buildings between my vehicle and the repeater.

Audio is fine, especially on DMR and strong analog signals.

FM radio is useful, but inability to store channels is an annoyance.

Several people report crashes and lack of radio connection between software and radio, hope we can help each other resolve this.

dtomlinson219

Premium Subscriber
I also had no problems with installing and using the basic features of the CPS software. I suspect some of those reporting problems failed to download from the radio first and then to modify that file. That said, this software is very primitive. It is particularly difficult to use to program DMR channels. While most commercial radios use the procedure where you create a channel and then add it to a zone, this radio does the opposite; you create a zone then add channels. That means that if you want the channel in multiple zones, you must create it over and over (there's no cut and paste in this software). You can import files from another CPS program (.csv files) but that's a bit tricky since the order of columns in the imported file is different than is displayed in the software. Radioddity has added a programming software addendum that shows the column order for most, but not all, import functions. The biggest issue I've run into is that this software uses non-standard terms for things like talk groups and contacts. So far, I've not been successful in programming any DMR channels. Fortunately, I didn't buy this radio for it's DMR capabilities, but would still like to be able to use them.

OldRabbit

I have DMR working perfectly. Though - I did have some odd issues initially, setting the timeslot. At one time I felt it was transmitting on both timeslots, but I managed in the end by turning an odd 'auto' parameter on/off, setting the time slot again.

The radio even receives a channel that I was unable to program into my TYT UV-380 - possibly due to promiscious mode - even though I had both timeslot, talkgroup and color code for this channel (a read-only channel I monitor)

I feel once programmed, it is an excellent radio, CPS just need a lot of work. For your DMR issue, it might be the frequent issue across chinese handsets, that you MUST have a DMR monitor/listen group attached to the channel. Double check the group is listed for the channel and the group contains the channel - two places.

I also have all channels in scan groups

KD2HCC

I have gotten the radio up and running, including with CPS. CPS is truly garbage, very buggy. On the bright side, Michael at Radioddity tech support has been incredibly helpful, including reviewing my codeplugs.

I'm not quite at the point where I can recommend this radio for novices (like me), but I have been able to at least contact a DMR repeater, which was a herculean task.

KD2HCC

KG5EED

Here is a list of firmware bugs I've run across. I'd suggest we collect these and send to radioddity to have addressed. Add your finds to the list. Focusing only on firmware here.
  • Volume wraps around from low side to high side. Too easy to go from 0 to 20 (loud!) inadvertently when turning the volume down.
  • Low volume setting isn't really auditorily low. Actual volume needs to better correspond to radio volume setting
  • Selected scan list doesn't stick. Have to select the scan list to use for anything other than the first list which is always the default. Radio should retain scan list selected.
  • Scanning often stops after radio activity from either band. Doesn't matter what the scan mode is set to. Radio behavior should respect scan mode setting.
  • Radio activity interrupts you if you're in the menus system and you need to start over doing what you want to do in the menus when radio activity stops.
  • Can't manipulate all settings from the radio. Need to use pc software for some settings. Should be able to change any setting from within the radio.

lefoumanchot

I have gotten analog voice to work and it is better than expected. I have gotten digital programmed in but can’t seem to hear any audio. I also can’t seem to get the APRS set right. I parked in a buddy’s driveway so my radio could be sure to be close to an igate. Nothing shows up on aprs.fi.

I started speaking with Michael from radioddity so I am optimistic he can help me but I thought I would throw this out here as well.

I don’t see a lot of concerns from folks with the APRS system. Is that working well for others?

I know my menu has made a few jumps that were unexpected but still cataloging those. I’ll post those and submit to radioddity when I get them cataloged and can give proper descriptions. Thanks to anyone who has info on my troubles with this radio. Very hopeful for it as it’s a great small profile with a lot of features fir the price.

kd1sq

Database Admin
CPS is best described as "idiosyncratic." Use it until CHIRP can be substituted for it.

bill303

I just can't get the dmr to work. Does anyone have a code plug completed with the software to email? Thanks! KD2NVT

W9YA

A replacement for the CPS already exists.... rd73editor dot com. It is well behaved plus it is windows AND linux friendly. (There are forums linked from the index page...search for my call in the forums for more info on programming this radio using linux.)

For what it is worth the Kydera CDR300UV, Retivis RT73, and the Radioddity DB25-D are the same radio. And the latest firmware (& CPS) are the same as well, albeit the latest firm loads are dated different. SO the rt73-editor works FB as well for any/all of these radios.

CPS is best described as "idiosyncratic." Use it until CHIRP can be substituted for it.

W5TLR

I have quick question about the programming cable. As soon as I connect the cable to the radio, before I connect USB end to Computer, the red (xmt) light on my microphone lights up about half brightness.. It goes away when I have BOTh ends connected... ! I'm just curious IF this is "normal" behavior?? If so, I won't worry about it!! LOL

W9YA

Seems to be.....Also when you write to the radio the red led blinks as the blocks of data are transferred.

W5TLR

Seems to be.....Also when you write to the radio the red led blinks as the blocks of data are transferred.
Thanks!!! I assume that is normal then!! Response from Radioddity assured me of that response!! LOL Have a blessed day! JimS

kd2ugs

It looks exactly like the Retevis RT73. Seems like the modus operandi for the manufacturer is to rebrand when too many negative reviews start to float around? Kydera --> Retevis --> Radioddity now. I have given up on my Retevis RT73 for everyday use in favor of the latest Anytone HT PRIMARILY because Retevis has still not enabled DTMF support (try controlling a repeater without DTMF). I assume the Radioddity has a similar failing which none of the youtuber hypers are mentioning.

N4RTD

I have gotten the radio up and running, including with CPS. CPS is truly garbage, very buggy. On the bright side, Michael at Radioddity tech support has been incredibly helpful, including reviewing my codeplugs.

I'm not quite at the point where I can recommend this radio for novices (like me), but I have been able to at least contact a DMR repeater, which was a herculean task.

KD2HCC

I really want to like this radio for its build and form factor. CPS isn't an issue for me, figured that out. However, I'm having audio issues after a few transmissions where I don't get anything back. DMR seems to be working ok, have not had luck with the APRS portion, but that is the least of my concerns. If I can't count on the audio of the other station getting through then the radio is useless. I'm awaiting a solution but suspect I'll be posting a YouTube review of the radio and unfortunately it won't be stellar.

Russ N4RTD

W9YA

Russ;

1) - A "dirty" codeplug can cause big problems for this radio. I suggest you try/use the 3rd party editor as see if that makes a difference;

Um, I have kept quiet the past 10 days or so, this due to a promise I made with one of the companies that markets these radios while the new CPS was being developed; It has since been released, so my part of the agreement is no longer binding. As such I can say after testing, that while the new OFFICIAL CPS is an improvement, I will keep using the rt73editor dot com for codeplugs.

2) - As for the firmware, v/v operation of the radio itself that is NOT directly related to a "dirty" codeplug, I suggest you read through the following TWO reviews at;

These two "papers" cover 3/4 of what is "at issue" with the radios operationally.

BTW, These radios can be a.o.k., as mobile radios, if you do not rely on scanning, the "dual-receive", and only use static TG programming. (DMR-MARC network is an example of this kind of operation. Bottom-up networks like Brandmeister are too difficult to use well while mobile with these radios IMHO.)

*** And there are specific hints in my two papers on how to get the receiver to NOT immediately truncate the audio. <- Big problem IMnsHO.

es vy 73 om de Bob W9YA

N4RTD

Bob, thanks for your detailed response, I appreciate it. I will follow your recommendations and see if it alleviates the issue I am having.

73 de Russ N4RTD

N4RTD

I'm testing it now to see if I have the issue again. A video I shared with the company can be found at

The video above was in analog mode.

I also am no longer seeing a full screen of DMR digital contact list anymore on the display with callsign, location, etc. in DMR as I did before and the contact list is in the radio.

Russ N4RTD

N4RTD

So far, in testing the codeplug editor by MM7DBT, I was able to correct the digital contact not showing on the display. I used the feature to download the list from radioid.net. I then uploaded the list to the radio and that corrected that issue. I also modified my codeplug and used that editor to send to the radio. I'm still trying to replicate the receive issue I was having after using the new editor.

N4RTD

After more testing, I've determined my receive drops out after the radio heats up. After a few transmissions on high power, and the radio heats up, receive drops out. If no tranmissions are made and the radio cools down, the receive opens back up.

K6MBZ

My radio powers off when I try to transmit on high power on 2 meters. It will transmit on high power on 70 cm just fine. I’ve tried multiple antennas that work with other radios. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Yes, I’m a newbie!