• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radioddity Radioddity GD-77

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Just received mine today. I'm surprised to read that no one has had any anti-virus/malware issues with the software.

On my work laptop, Symantec Endpoint stopped it cold. On my home PC it was stopped by Windows Defender and then, when allowed through, destroyed by Malwarebytes. This occurred with the latest version of the software and its predecessor.

Curious as to whether anyone else has come across this "anomaly".

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the latest CPS software and firmware upgrade from both their website and Facebook on 3 different computers. No warnings or issues.

Australia4001

Premium Subscriber
Just received mine today. I'm surprised to read that no one has had any anti-virus/malware issues with the software.

On my work laptop, Symantec Endpoint stopped it cold. On my home PC it was stopped by Windows Defender and then, when allowed through, destroyed by Malwarebytes. This occurred with the latest version of the software and its predecessor.

Curious as to whether anyone else has come across this "anomaly".

Just a false positive. Nothing to worry about

Nicholas440

Firmware Update

I downloaded the latest Firmware update from the Radioddity web site but when I run it the program gets an error and says "failed to start" . I havent been able to figure it out yet. Has anyone run into this? I have Windows 8 and everything works fine, I installed the latest programming software with no issues, the 1.1.6 I think it is. But Firmware gives an error. I picked the English from the menu. The first time I ran it the program opened but was all in Chinese I couldnt install so I looked into the folder and noticed it has an English folder so I try that and it won't run.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Right-click on the Update.exe and select "Run as administrator".. This should overcome any restrictions Win8 tries to impose.

Nicholas440

No luck yet

Thank you for the suggestion. . I tried running the update as Administrator but I get the same error.. the error message is... "The application failet to start because it's side by side configuration is incorrect " .... anyone recognize that error ? Windows 8.....

jje64

Excel Import/Export?

How does one make this work with the GD-77 SW? I have version 1.1.6. I see no "import" or "export" buttons in the software.

Also, is there a format for how you enter the data into the excel file to load the CPS with freqs/CC/TG/etc?

TNX
jje64

KC1UA

Database Admin
I have what I believe to be an unusual issue occurring with my GD-77. As far as I can tell the radio acts like it's in promiscuous/monitor mode regardless of the fact that I have that feature toggled off via the button I have programmed for it.

If I have the radio sitting on a tallkgroup that uses slot 2, I hear traffic from any of the others that are also using slot 2 when they become active. This also happens on slot 1. All talkgroups seem to be correctly set up and are in appropriate contact lists.

Curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue and if so if there's a fix for it. The option to monitor everything is nice, but I'd like to be able to defeat it as well. Thanks.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
GD-77

I received mine last week. Using the latest firmware and CPS, I have not experienced any problems other than operation being different than my other DMR HTs. So far the only negative is the display falls short of any of my other DMR radios.

KC1UA

Database Admin
It's a "Feature"!

Upon further investigation it appears my "problem" is the current normal behavior of the radio.

1. All talkgroups must be part of an RX Group List in order to work.
2. As a result, when a particular talkgroup is selected, ALL talkgroups that are part of the RX Group List are being heard.
3. The CPS software shows the following in the HelpView when in a channel configuration and the RX Group List is clicked on:

Associates any available RX Group list to the channel for reception. The user can listen to any Group in this list when there is any activity on it and talk back within the Group Call hang time. This is also known as a Group Scan. Selecting the None option disables the user from receiving any Group Calls on this channel, except when the Call ID is the same as the Call ID of the transmit member. The Call ID from the Contact Name is automatically added to the RX Group List on this channel by default. This allows the user to receive this call, even though this feature is set to None. This is a channel-wide feature.

Setting the Rx Group List to "none" as it suggests results in not being able to hear anything. :roll:

4. A Powerpoint presentation available at the main Radioddity Facebook page indicates the following:

• RX Groups are also known as receive groups
  • Currently the GD-77 requires RX groups to receive DV
  • You can setup one talk group per RX group or*
  • You can setup many talk groups per RX group.* This acts likes a scan of the RX groups on that time slot.
  • The RX Group "scan" cannot be turned off or nuisance deleted. *This is the main drawback of RX Groups.
  • RX Groups are way faster than a scan list!

5. Other users of the radio are beginning to post the same issue, again in the Facebook groups. There are two of them, the aforementioned and a separate "Radioddity GD-77" group.
6. In my case I am using the newest firmware and the newest CPS.
7. Monitor mode is NOT activated when this is occurring.

Hopefully this can be resolved with a firmware update. It would seem that the easiest solution would be to not require a talkgroup be part of a RX Group List. I'm not griping, a dual band radio for $86.99 delivered is a pretty darned good deal, and you get what you pay for. I'm impressed overall with the performance and it is an ideal all around amateur/GMRS radio that's a perfect knockabout with minimal loss if something happens to it. That said, when I'm monitoring a particular talkgroup I won't want to hear all of them! :D

I have what I believe to be an unusual issue occurring with my GD-77. As far as I can tell the radio acts like it's in promiscuous/monitor mode regardless of the fact that I have that feature toggled off via the button I have programmed for it.

If I have the radio sitting on a tallkgroup that uses slot 2, I hear traffic from any of the others that are also using slot 2 when they become active. This also happens on slot 1. All talkgroups seem to be correctly set up and are in appropriate contact lists.

Curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue and if so if there's a fix for it. The option to monitor everything is nice, but I'd like to be able to defeat it as well. Thanks.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Until and unless the programmers can fix the firmware to enable single TG reception, using the Rx List is the only way to receive audio.

Creating a separate Rx List for each Talk Group is not a workable option since we are limited to only 16 Rx Lists, and many of us have more TGs than that!

Nicholas440

Rx Groups

My GD 77 has the same issue as far as receive of talk groups. I only have 8 talk groups programmed but no matter what one I'm on if another one comes active it changes to that group until they unkey. So I'm assuming I have to have a separate RX folder for each Talk Group for it to only hear the one I'm on? Right now I have all 8 groups in the RX Groups folder. Now I'm thinking I have to put each one in a separate RX folder ? I know if you don't put any in your Rx folder you wont hear anything, I found that out. I have anything that points to scanning turned off, but if a Talk group becomes active my radio still changes to it as if it's in a scan mode. That needs to be fixed in the software. The TYT radios don't have that issue.....

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
No it doesn't. You'll have to manually pick the repeater/site that you want. Same as any other low end DMR radio.

razorseal

No it doesn't. You'll have to manually pick the repeater/site that you want. Same as any other low end DMR radio.

ah bummer. so none of these ~200 dollar radios support roaming huh? I wonder why. I'd think it's a software programming thing. Not hardware related adding to cost...

I'm hoping this is a good radio to start out with. I really wanted the dual band... however reading some stuff here where it monitors both timeslots no matter what, and 16 rx doesn't sound too exciting. Looking at a G55+ or a MD380 too now...

N4KVE

So far only Motorola, & Hytera radios support roaming. When you buy a DMR radio for under $100, it has few, if any features. By spending more, you get more. Just like buying a car, or anything really.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
For $80 or whatever it was, I think the 77 is a great buy (especially considering it's dual band). I carry mine with me all the time (I'm not a ham btw so I have no need for global contract lists etc etc). Many of them job sites I visit use UHF MotoTRBO and I have authorization to be on their systems, so it works great there. I'm also a firefighter so I can use the VHF side to monitor local dispatch channels. Under no circumstances would I use this radio on a fire scene (have an XPR7550 for that) but it works great for RX only.

Status
Not open for further replies.