RadioID Hold: Why is this not possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

Sometimes I get to thinking about the strangest things while trying to sleep and it keeps me up all night thinking about it. Last night was one of those nights.

We have the ability to alpha tag, display and hold on a TalkgroupID and the ability to alpha tag and display a RadioID. But holding on the RadioID is not possible. Or it is, but does not work as expected.

Sometimes, (usually when I am concentrating on something else like TV) I would like to hold on the RadioID of (for instance) the police helicopter exclusively and hear only their transmissions, or the incidents they are working. I figured holding on their radioID would be the answer, but no go. :confused:

I am sure there is a technical reason for this with regards to trunking or the way the scanner follows trunking and thats kind of what I am looking for. Thanks.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Also remember per the release notes that P25 systems don't always broadcast both radio ID's, so conversations wouldn't be picked up too well.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
GroupID Hold does not work well

JoeyC said:
RadioID Hold: Why is this not possible?
Who said it is not "POSSIBLE"? I don't think it is an issue of being possible or not, I think it is an issue that manufacturers have to decide which (software) features will be of the most value to the most people. For radios which handle I-Calls this might be a simple add-on, but for those which don't, it is another function.

GRE has a fairly horrible method to handle GroupID Hold as it is. And under the best of circumstances, if the control channel changes while in ID Hold Mode, the scanner does not track it (at least the PRO-97, PRO-95, PRO-93 or PRO-92). So I'd like to see them redesign the entire method used to "select" or hold GroupIDs. Once they get that working, then adding RadioID Hold might be of some value.

JoeyC

Why would you want to miss half of the conversations?

I would miss more than half the conversations with this method, but would be able to filter alot of the usual chatter out. When something of interest is heard, you simply switch to the regular talkgroup.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
GRE has a fairly horrible method to handle GroupID Hold as it is. And under the best of circumstances, if the control channel changes while in ID Hold Mode, the scanner does not track it

That was taken care of in the PSR500. It does not reoccur.

What might be nice is if they could add some sort of alert to tha radio ID's. So if you have an LED or audio alert set just for a few radio ID's you would know when they are transmitting without looking at the scanner. But I'm not sure radio ID hold would be a good idea.

mikey60

That was taken care of in the PSR500. It does not reoccur.

What might be nice is if they could add some sort of alert to tha radio ID's. So if you have an LED or audio alert set just for a few radio ID's you would know when they are transmitting without looking at the scanner. But I'm not sure radio ID hold would be a good idea.

I don't know enough about Motorola or EDACS systems, but on P25 systems, a radio ID hold wouldn't be very realistic. The radio ID is typically transmitted only when the PTT is pressed on the radio, and usually shows up on the control channel once (occasionally twice). If the radio you're trying to monitor joins the conversation late, you will have missed everything that leads up to that point.

Mike

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I don't know enough about Motorola or EDACS systems
It's no different with these systems.

You would only get group conversations from that radio, and listening for Private Calls is already taken care of. And why would you want to listen to just group calls for a Radio? It's like listening to the input so you can listen for when someone is nearby, yet you never heard the dispatcher. If someone is in such dire need to figure out who someone is, run one of the Trunker apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.