RadioReference CDROM

Would you purchase a RadioReference CDROM?

• Yes

Votes: 88 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 85 49.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

I'm looking to understand how demand for a RadioReference.com CDROM of all frequency and trunking data would be. I have a solution in place to provide the complete radioreference.com database available in an interface just like you have today, searches, web service, everything... but provided on a CDROM.

Assuming this CDROM was priced around $30, would you purchase one?

We would probably release a CDROM once a quarter. We would probably release it in the fall to allow for some significant changes to the database to be rolled out before then.

Use the poll to answer yes or no.

Thanks!

Lindsay

Last edited:

wyldman

Yes,it would be good.

I sometimes load stuff on the fly with my laptop,but don't have internet access.if I haven't saved what I need on the computer beforehand,I'm screwed.Having it on CD would be great.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Would the CD be re-writable so that it could be updated every quarter? What would you charge for updates?

brandon

Database Admin
Yes I am all for it. I like to archive every good resource. I have archived WUN and many YahooGroups in case they ever vanish I still have the info.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
A few years ago I would have bought the CD, but now with WI-FI I have internet access everyplace I stay out of town so I do not believe I would buy the CD. Actually I have found that with vFolders on the Pro96 that have Florida and Texas already saved, and when I travel to a new place I set up a new file before I go.

What is so great is being to use WIN96 and the RR database to build these files in a short time. Times have sure changed, and for the better.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
califzeph said:
I would pay $30 a year to subscribe to a CD that came out quarterly.

Good feedback and comments folks.

$30 a year for 4 CDs shipped separately isn't realistic.

My thought is that the $30 would be what you pay, shipped to your door in the US, for each copy of the CDROM, regardless of which quarter it came out.

We may adjust that price, however if we do this it wouldn't be a $30 + S&H charge, It would be $30 flat rate, shipped to your door via USPS, UPS, whatever.

No gimmicks... (and that is hard to find these days) :)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Ready to click on the PayPal button

blantonl said:
We may adjust that price, however if we do this it wouldn't be a $30 + S&H charge, It would be $30 flat rate, shipped to your door via USPS, UPS, whatever.

No gimmicks... (and that is hard to find these days) :)
Say when.

Pipeman597

Couldn't the CD be downloaded. With broadband and burner I could easily do it myself in short order.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
In a year, or even six months, the database changes significantly that the updates are a need to have.

What about creating an off-line application interface for the database, distributed on a CD along with the data, that basically installs the runtime files on the computer, uses the database information from the CD, and can also be updated over the internet. The updates would be another level, higher tier, of site subscription. Since the off-line app will change over time a new CD should need to be purchased (to encourage its purchase). There are a ton of ways to work the purchasing plan though.

Including the FCC database information along with a search app for it (integrated with the one above possibly) would be invaluable also.

-Wayne

RBMTS

Sign me up!

I like everyone's comments about making it downloadable. Personally I'd like to download the data to store on my HD or USB key to access. Many notebooks don't come with a built-in CD/DVD anymore to accommodate lighter weight and longer battery life.

Regardless of how it comes, I'd be a customer!

Go-24

Selling data your users (and others) have submitted for free; doesn't sound quite right to me. Is the database still going to be available for free via this site?

For what its worth you can get 100CDs or DVDs for 40-50 bucks; as such IMO a $30 price tag would be way too steep.

I think it would be a better idea if you offered this for free with $X amount of donations.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Go-24 and others:
I could understand your concern if Lindsay was considering ONLY distributing the database via CD-Rom and shutting down the online database but this is not what he is saying...
As Lindsay has said a million times before I am sure NOTHING will change with the database being free....Lindsay has said the database will always be free in its most basic form...this is just another way of distributing the info to those who want something a little more than what the database offers in it's current form....
Have no fear: The database ain't going anywhere :)
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall Sherard KE4ZNR

ShadowKnight

I'm sorry. I misunderstood (I know Lindsay didn't saying shutting down the free db) my fault. I misunderstood. Forgive me ppl I'm still learning being a scanner for sometime but never really understood the codes meant and had to look it up everytime. I hope I'll get it right sooner or later. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.