BCT15X: RadioReference>Freescan>Scanner - but how do I scan what I programmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanNV

Premium Subscriber
RadioReference>Freescan>Scanner - but how do I scan what I programmed?
It says NOTHING TO SCAN and I just cannot figure out how to make it scan what I programmed.
I watched the video on how to upload and all, and made the assumption that the Quick Key setting would allow me to just press 1 on the keypad and it would scan those channels.

This is soooooo much more difficult than the BC125AT that is sitting next to it picking up the channels... :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

titanNV

Premium Subscriber
Oh and we are talking conventional channels only, not trunking.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

titanNV

Premium Subscriber
This article from our wiki should help...it's a common problem (all links are blue)

Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki

You must assign your own System and Group Quick keys. Freescan defaults to having all the GQKs enabled, but you must assign them. The System Quick Keys are enabled using TOOLS / SYSTEM QUICK KEY MANAGER. Our online manual for FreeScan has a good article that describes it in detail

Freescan and Quick Key Processing - The RadioReference Wiki

HTH...Mike

Thank you.

I do have some of the hang of it - after I programmed I turned off the scanner and turned it back on, and it started scanning the programmed channels right away.

I still have a lot of reading to do. I really wish I bought the dumbed down version of this scanner. I have enough hobbies, ya know?

Oh, per the thread title, it is a BCT15X.

Again THANK YOU and I will do more research on this. For example, I am wondering why the bottom of the screen says "SO--3-------" with the 3 flashing.

localknitwits

Number 4

This article from our wiki should help...it's a common problem (all links are blue)

Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki

Take a look at the Wiki reference from ka3. Pay particular attention to number 4. When messing around I some how disabled my groups and got "nothing to scan" even though my quick keys were enabled. It took me a while (hour+) to figure out how I messed my scanner up. It's a sneaky one because there weren't any obvious indications (at least for a new user like myself). But, that's part of the fun of it, like a puzzle. I also use the Arc software which works great for me. I can't speak for Freescan personally but apparently it has a loyal following on this site. when I have time I will check it out.

Good Luck.

titanNV

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate the help folks!

I really don't know what is meant by "Pay particular attention to number 4"....
My mind must be mush from tax season!

Funny thing is, back in the early 1990s I worked for a 2 way radio place. I used to program the old EFJohnson and Uniden 800Mhz trunking phones (as well as Motorola and Midland "conventional" radios)! And I can't figure out a consumer scanner! HA HA

localknitwits

This is number 4 from the wiki

4. All Groups are disabled - This is different than above and seems to cause the most problems with people understanding what has happened. The best way to understand this is a hypothetical situation. Say you are scanning a single conventional system programmed to one SQK (System Quick Key), let's use SQK #3 for example. All other SQK's are disabled and this system has 3 groups of frequencies on GQK's 1, 2, & 3. If you disable all three GQK's the radio will then properly state it has "Nothing To Scan" because you have turned everything off. The problem that seems to confound everyone at this point is that in addition to the "Nothing To Scan" begin displayed, the GQK disabled icons " * " are no longer displayed either. In other words although the System shows to be active (the #3 is showing along with "S0:"), there are no groups displayed. The solution is quite easy, press and hold the <Function> key, turn the scroll knob and find the system covered by SQK #3, the GQK icons will be present and while still holding the <Function> key press 1, 2, or 3 and the scanner will be able to scan again. You can avoid this "disappearing icons" situation in two ways: A. Don't ever disable all GQK's in a conventional system.
B. Program at least one frequency in the "default" group (one not assigned a GQK #) and do not lock it out. It can be a frequency you want to monitor for this system or it can be a frequency that is unlikely to have anything on it (like 1300 MHz).
Note: This problem does not happen on Trunking systems because the scanner will always scan the frequencies programmed even if you disable (or indeed lock out) all of the Talk Groups.

When you click the previous listed link by ka3 (Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki) the above is number 4.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.