Radios and general public

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Wherever I go, I usually carry a radio with me, usually a GE M-RK with keypad. I walked into walmart last month with it, and I was approached by an employee. He was under the impression it was a 1980s model cellphone, and wanted to buy it. after explaining for a half hour difference between cell phones, radios, CB's, and Amateur Radio, He was curious and wanted to learn more. Brought him to a ham club meeting the following week, and now he's studying to take the test.
For those who carry their radios in public, what do you tell a person who is curious what is on your belt?

KB7MIB

Very few have thought a scanner or Ham radio was a cell phone. I have had one or two ask if it was a satellite phone. Once I say it's a scanner or Ham radio, they say, "Oh, ok", and that's that.

I think I've had more people assume (with disgust) that I was a cop, than think it was an old cell phone, or a satellite phone.

I honestly think I'm too nerdy looking to be mistaken for a cop lol

John
Peoria

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Well, your call sign is KB7 "Men in Black" lol
In my area, we have alot of volunteer department members who have radios or pagers, But for the most part people don't notice it, until it talks.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
From Wikipedia:
"The DynaTAC's retail price, $3,995 (about $9500 in present-day terms)"

Theres one on ebay going for $1,050. With that, i could Upgrade a P7100 :)

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
From Wikipedia:
"The DynaTAC's retail price, $3,995 (about $9500 in present-day terms)"

Theres one on ebay going for $1,050. With that, i could Upgrade a P7100 :)

I have had folks ask what my radios were for when i`ve had `em with me, i just tell `em i have a scanner & ham radio, once i say that they`re cool with it :). Now as to that DynaTac cellphone, wouldn`t it be kinda cool if ya could actually get it to work on a network, just for kicks :)? Given that all cell networks are digital now i don`t see that happenin` unfortunately, but it would be neat to see if it would actually work. I bet them units were a real BEAR to use though ::D. Just trying to program one must have been a nightmare. N9NRA

prcguy

You should be able to make a 911 call today with an old DynaTAC.
prcguy

I have had folks ask what my radios were for when i`ve had `em with me, i just tell `em i have a scanner & ham radio, once i say that they`re cool with it :). Now as to that DynaTac cellphone, wouldn`t it be kinda cool if ya could actually get it to work on a network, just for kicks :)? Given that all cell networks are digital now i don`t see that happenin` unfortunately, but it would be neat to see if it would actually work. I bet them units were a real BEAR to use though ::D. Just trying to program one must have been a nightmare. N9NRA

SCPD

QRT
Is there still any analogue cellular networks running? AMPS has been shut down in Canada about 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

PACNWDude

I am in public with three different radios, and get different reactions from people:

With a Yaesu VX-2R in an old black nylon holster, (using it to be my own distant end) testing other radios, they all think it is a great idea to have an AM/FM/VHF/UHF radio in such a small package.

Carrying an Icom IC-T7H, the ham radio types ask if it is for sale. Or they come over with their Icom radios and compare.

For the rare occasion that I am carry my Harris Unity XG-100P, everyone thinks I am a federal agent and even the police and security types keep their distance.

Nobody has ever thought I was carrying an old cell phone when I had a ham radio though.

Once I had one of the older Qualcom GSP-1600 satellite phones in the bag kits though and someone thought it was an old AMPS cell phone. They thought it was cool I was still using it. Those bag kits looked a lot like cell phones and the GSP-1600's could take a Verizon SIM card and be used on cellular and satellite with separate phones numbers though.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to make a 911 call today with an old DynaTAC.
prcguy

I think it would be a safe bet ya couldn`t do a 911 call with one of them things, all the networks are digital now, and they use different digital "methods", ya know, CDMA, GSM and at one time even good ol` TDMA (not used anymore `cept for us hams and commercial users doing the DMR thingy :D). Anyway, as i said, i bet programming & storing numbers in one of them phones must have been a real nightmare, and the fact that they didn`t have a lot of storage meant ya couldn`t put too many into it (if ya could even HAVE any numbers stored in it). And as i recall them DynaTac units were real bricks, big honkers with big long antennas, musta been fun walking down the street with one of them units pasted to your ear, bet it was good for a chuckle :). N9NRA

prcguy

Yep, I thought there was some minimal analog stuff in service for 911 use but it looks like that's all been phased out.
prcguy

I think it would be a safe bet ya couldn`t do a 911 call with one of them things, all the networks are digital now, and they use different digital "methods", ya know, CDMA, GSM and at one time even good ol` TDMA (not used anymore `cept for us hams and commercial users doing the DMR thingy :D). Anyway, as i said, i bet programming & storing numbers in one of them phones must have been a real nightmare, and the fact that they didn`t have a lot of storage meant ya couldn`t put too many into it (if ya could even HAVE any numbers stored in it). And as i recall them DynaTac units were real bricks, big honkers with big long antennas, musta been fun walking down the street with one of them units pasted to your ear, bet it was good for a chuckle :). N9NRA

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I usually carry a Motorola Astro Saber or XPR6550 with me…there is no mistaking those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
For the majority, the newer radios, with the keypad, do look like a cell phone or satellite phone. A person sees numbers 0-9, the star and pound key, a send button, and an end button, to them it looks like a phone.
And on a trunked system, might as well be a phone. same logic, minus the 10 digit dialing.

SCPD

QRT
I've never had anyone show any interest in my radio when I'm in some restaurant or store.
I must not be going to the right places.

Status
Not open for further replies.