Radios Back When...

wd9ewk

Looks basically identical to the HTX-202. Were they made by Kenwood? I don't even remember this Kenwood radio TBH.

IIRC the HTX-202 and HTX-404 were made by Maxon, compatible with accesories used on the Icom IC-2AT and IC-02AT (and other similar Icom HTs for 222 MHz & 70cm). AFAIK Kenwood wasn't involved with the RadioShack HTs.

I think the TH-x15 line came out in 1987 or 1988, and there was a TH-205 that came before the TH-215 I have. I think the TH-205 had been discontinued before 1989. The Kenwood HTs like my TH-215 were still made by Kenwood in Japan at that time. My original TH-D72, purchased at the end of 2010, was made in Singapore. Another TH-D72 I bought a few years later, along with the TH-D74, were made in Malaysia.

Last edited:
Fun topic :) !

Fig_SCR65.JPG

Hey, I am a Dinosaur ! *

Actually, I grew up in a ham-intensive family, so I never really need'd my own for a long time.
My first radio was an Icom 2A hand held that I still have. Its perfect for Summiting-on-the Air--- rugid and fool proof.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

(*least anyone take me too seriously but are still curious about this spark transmitter, here is a link...

http://www.tuberadio.com/robinson/museum/Sterling_Spark/ )

;)

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
IIRC the HTX-202 and HTX-404 were made by Maxon, compatible with accesories used on the Icom IC-2AT and IC-02AT (and other similar Icom HTs for 222 MHz & 70cm). AFAIK Kenwood wasn't involved with the RadioShack HTs.
Correct, and the first lot of the HTX -202/404 radios were made in Japan by Icom, 1992 to early 1993, the latter ones were Maxon made in Korea until 1997 when the line was discontinued.
I bought three HTX-404s on clearance in 1998 for $29.97 each.

Cognomen

First radio was a used IC-2AT. I bought it because that's what the hams I knew at the time were using. Sold it and upgraded to a used 02AT. Last year, somebody gave me a 2AT and a 3AT, which I kept for nostalgia.

First VHF mobile was a new IC-28H. Sold it eventually and replaced it with a used Motorola MCX-1000. Was given another 28H last year; gave it to a new ham.

First UHF mobile was a new Western Radio (WR) commercial radio; can't remember the model#. One of the technicians programmed a bunch of them with all of the local UHF repeaters and made them available to the ham club at a good price. No idea where that one went; it might be in a box the garage.

First HF radio was a new Yaesu FT-707. Traded it in on a new 757GX-II when they came out.

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
First Amateur HT, Icom 02AT. New in 1984, I think it was $425. Eventually owned a 03AT and a 04AT. Mobile stack included Icom 27H, Icom 37A, and Icom 47A, Kenwood TR 9130 2M SSB, and Yaseu 757 GX.

prcguy

Wilson Mark II VHF hand held radio crystal controlled, 6 channels.
I bought my first new amateur radio in 1974, A Wilson 1402 (before I was licensed) and just found an ad for it. About a year later I got a job at a company that sold the same radio for commercial use under their brand name and I got to upgrade it and install a bunch more crystals for free. Thanks Pathcom!

1677991874413.jpeg

RFI-EMI-GUY

Fun topic :) !

View attachment 137650

Hey, I am a Dinosaur ! *

Actually, I grew up in a ham-intensive family, so I never really need'd my own for a long time.
My first radio was an Icom 2A hand held that I still have. Its perfect for Summiting-on-the Air--- rugid and fool proof.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

(*least anyone take me too seriously but are still curious about this spark transmitter, here is a link...

http://www.tuberadio.com/robinson/museum/Sterling_Spark/ )

;)

There you go EMP proof, creates its own EMP. I bet it still works!

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber

I think the TH-x15 line came out in 1987 or 1988, and there was a TH-205 that came before the TH-215 I have. I think the TH-205 had been discontinued before 1989. The Kenwood HTs like my TH-215 were still made by Kenwood in Japan at that time. My original TH-D72, purchased at the end of 2010, was made in Singapore. Another TH-D72 I bought a few years later, along with the TH-D74, were made in Malaysia.
HTX-202. There's another one that I hadn't heard in a long time. I replaced my IC-2AT with a 202. Added the high-capacity battery and kept the smaller battery as backup. Took it on many an adventure. Loved that radio!

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
First ham radio was Henry HF radio given to be by a friend. Helped me learn the Code and made my first ham QSO on 10M.

First purchased ham radio was an Icom IC-32 AT. Wasn't cheap and I had to buy the "optional" PL decode module. Whopping 16 channels (which was quite good for the time). Through an Icom promotion, I got a free hand mic and Icom jacket. Great, reliable radio. Unfortunately, it was stolen out of my (locked) vehicle about 8 years ago.

k6cpo

I've got several old "handhelds" that still work but there is no programming software available for them. It's really kinda fun sorting out the programming from the information in the manuals.

Golay

First ham radio was a Heathkit two meter mobile that I built myself. I googled a bit, looks like it might of been a HW-2036A.
Traded that for a handheld Heathkit two meter radio. Also googled, I think it may of been the HW2.

Token

My first radio was a home brew, 3 band, 3 tube, Novice transmitter, I think built out of the 1963 ARRL Handbook, working with a Hallicrafters SX-99 receiver. The transmitter is long gone (scrapped for parts for my next transmitter, a 5 bander), but I still have the receiver.
64201077.LoXvgzjJ.SX_99.jpg

T!

KE6JB

Back in the 1990s and below, Buying a two-way radio whether it was hand-held or Base, a mobile unit would cost a pretty penny. My first two-way radio crystal-controlled, two-channel HT cost me about $400.00. Nowadays I can get a cheap 127-channel radio for $30 bucks. Yes, the cheap radio build is not rugged like the Motorola radio but it does the job. My second radio was the Radio shack Transceiver HTX 202 HTX-202. What was your first Radio?
I got my first radio in 1969. It was a HeathKit "Lunchbox." It had tubes and a crystal to transmit and receive on one channel, 145.5 (A.M.). I got it used for $50.
KE6JB

Attachments

• Heathkit.jpg
    Heathkit.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 8

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
I had a BK EPH (metal case) portable UHF 210 channel alpha numeric display. Paid over $1000 for it brand new. Weighed a ton but was a great radio. Still have it stashed away in the closet.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I started with an old HeathKit HW-100. I bought it used and it was assembled by someone else. (I was a starving college student at the time).

My first VHF rig was a Kenwood-Trio TR-7200 2 meter radio. 10W - 23 crystal controlled channels.

My first handheld was a Standard C-528A 2m/70cm dual bander.. It could be opened up just by entering a sequence of keys. When open, it would receive the 800/900 cellular bands (which were analog back then).. Lots of fun listening.

Attachments

• 00heathkit.jpg
    00heathkit.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 00tr7200.jpg
    00tr7200.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 00standard.jpg
    00standard.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Token

I got my first radio in 1969. It was a HeathKit "Lunchbox." It had tubes and a crystal to transmit and receive on one channel, 145.5 (A.M.). I got it used for $50.
KE6JB
There was the "Twoer" (HW-30, 2 meter), "Sixer" (HW-29, 6 meter), and "Tener" (HW-19, 10 meter). At one time or another I have owned them all, and I currently own a Twoer and a Sixer in working condition, as well as a second one of each of those in unbuilt condition, the kits are still complete and other than having been opened to check them out they are basically untouched.

I last used them on air a few years back. Other 2 and 6 meter, AM only, radios I use more frequently are things like the Hallicrafters SR42 and SR-46.

T!

MILCOMM

My first transmitter was several parted-out tv sets because I could not afford to buy a a Drake or Collins.
So the first transmitter I built was CW only at 50 watts. I used a Lafayette HA225 receiver.
While the new radios are nice, I prefer and use the Drake, Collins, Hammarlund, Hallicrafters etc.
Only real radios glow in the dark!