Radios for wolf watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

tervguy

I know nothing about radios but want to use one to hear transmissions between wolf watchers in Yellowstone National Park to find out where the wolves are being spotted... to save a lot of driving around. A lot of people have radios for this purpose. Can anyone tell me what kind of radio will work, what frequency to use, and any other helpful information?

fineshot1

I know nothing about radios but want to use one to hear transmissions between wolf watchers in Yellowstone National Park to find out where the wolves are being spotted... to save a lot of driving around. A lot of people have radios for this purpose. Can anyone tell me what kind of radio will work, what frequency to use, and any other helpful information?

Without giving us any more info than you have that would be a shot in the dark.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
As fineshot said more information would be needed.

You can almost certainly rule out UHF (frequencies above 300MHz) unless you see these guys running generators that can power a sufficient amp to get over those mountains.

From there I'd be guessing 2m as the most common (144-148MHz) if these are ham operators (or maybe 6m- around 50Mhz). If they are not hams it could be a shot in the dark. I'd bet that inter-park communications, even on the scale of a park the size of Yellowstone, might be tough on HF (3-30Mhz).

I'd look into some of the local ham clubs around Yellowstone to see if any mention the "Yellowstone Net" or anything. If you see a "wolf watcher" with a radio, politely ask him the model (write it down) and we can point you in the direction of that radios range. Another helpful tip might be pictures of radios (or antennas- which are sometimes more telling than the radios).

Status
Not open for further replies.