• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

RadioShack Blows *$%&$)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
This great freakin sale they got going on the digital stuff at $399 got me motivated to buy a 2096 finally. I put an order in using my RADIOSHACK credit card no less. This was on Sunday night. No confirmation email. Monday, still no email. I call Tuesday and am told that everything is fine and I'm given a 10 digit order number. I look it up and of course no order is found. I gave it a day and still nothing.

Today I call and ask about it. I'm told that they have a problem taking orders with the RS card. The order was sitting there and they couldn't process the payment. They wanted to give me the telephone number for the parent company that holds their credit card account to straighten it out. Or, I had the option of giving them another card to order it with.

Now WTF is that happy horse ****? You mean that company can't even process orders using their own damn card. Then they have the balls to want me to straighten the mess out.

I told them to cancel it and hung up.

Assclowns. It's no wonder they are closing 400 stores. They can't even take one order.

Also, their crap sucks anyway. I'm saving the money for a 996. I'm glad it didn't work out.

PS: I am sending a copy of my rant to their company email. I'm tired of getting nothing that's advertised. I have had their ***** card for damn near a decade and have paid it off like it's freakin American Express or some ****.

Hell, I can't even get a hamburger that looks like the damn picture on the sign. It seems everything is a ripoff everywhere anymore.

The moral of the story is stick to Uniden you'll thank yourself later.

/rant

Last edited:

JESSERABBIT

I played e-mail tag with them for over a week to try to find out how to order a replacement antenna for my P-96. At the end of that week, the last word (after an apology about getting things messed up) was an 800 number to call to place my order. I just gave up on it.

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
They don't answer product support emails either. They have good products, but a sh*tty way of doing business. I'm not suprised at the closings either, the way they run themselves.

CLB

I love going in there and asking something to the effect of:

"Can this be cut to work on 2 meter?"

***blank stare***

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Geeez, too many high strung people around here. There's no reason to get this bent out of shape over a radio.

mancow

Database Admin
Such language? I didn't even use any.

I'm just angry that we spend all this money and get treated that way.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I can handle what you said, but I highlighted what some others might have a problem with. Some of the words are not really swearing, but are a weak replacement for swear words.

mancow said:
This great freakin sale they got going on the digital stuff at $399 got me motivated to buy a 2096 finally. I put an order in using my RADIOSHACK credit card no less. This was on Sunday night. No confirmation email. Monday, still no email. I call Tuesday and am told that everything is fine and I'm given a 10 digit order number. I look it up and of course no order is found. I gave it a day and still nothing.

Today I call and ask about it. I'm told that they have a problem taking orders with the RS card. The order was sitting there and they couldn't process the payment. They wanted to give me the telephone number for the parent company that holds their credit card account to straighten it out. Or, I had the option of giving them another card to order it with.

Now WTF is that happy horse ****? You mean that company can't even process orders using their own damn card. Then they have the balls to want me to straighten the mess out.

I told them to cancel it and hung up.

Assclowns. It's no wonder they are closing 400 stores. They can't even take one order.

Also, their crap sucks anyway. I'm saving the money for a 996. I'm glad it didn't work out.

PS: I am sending a copy of my rant to their company email. I'm tired of getting nothing that's advertised. I have had their ***** card for damn near a decade and have paid it off like it's freakin American Express or some ****.

Hell, I can't even get a hamburger that looks like the damn picture on the sign. It seems everything is a ripoff everywhere anymore.

The moral of the story is stick to Uniden you'll thank yourself later.

/rant

SCPD

Oh no he said freakin, damn, wtf, crap sucks.
R/S has gone down hill the past couple of years. I remember when I first got into this hobby about ten years ago and the sales person was helpfull and know some stuff about radios and scanners. Now they don't know ****.

West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
The last Radio Shack scanner I bought was the Pro 96 and I got it online. Went to two Radio Shack stores before buying online and no one in the stores knew what a Pro 96 was. Radio Shack has gone downhill over the past 4-5 years.

I am a dedicated and loyal Uniden owner. Even thinking about buying another BCD996T.

cschmit

NeFire242 said:
They know something...
"Hey kid... look at my nifty Motorola Razr phone..."
I was just going to say, did they offer you a cell phone when you called in about your order? :lol:

gcgrotz

Every time I go in a RS store there is someone in there fixing a problem with their cellphone account, the clerk is on hold with Sprint or Verizon or whoever, and the customer is saying something like "I sent them a check but..."

It is unfortunate because it must generate lots of revenue for them; but they should dump the cellphone business and stick to selling things and servicing customers. The 2 things are just not compatable. If you want a phone, all of the carriers have stores and prepay plans and people with computers that can see your account. Stay out of Radio Shack you loser!

That's my rant.....

cschmit

gcgrotz said:
Every time I go in a RS store there is someone in there fixing a problem with their cellphone account, the clerk is on hold with Sprint or Verizon or whoever, and the customer is saying something like "I sent them a check but..."

It is unfortunate because it must generate lots of revenue for them; but they should dump the cellphone business and stick to selling things and servicing customers. The 2 things are just not compatable. If you want a phone, all of the carriers have stores and prepay plans and people with computers that can see your account. Stay out of Radio Shack you loser!

That's my rant.....
I agree. I went to a local RS the other night and had to wait almost 10 min to buy my part due to the guy in front of me trying to pay his cell bill...:evil:

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Glad she wasn't armed!

gcgrotz said:

That's my rant.....
I bought a Pro 97 last week and when I was waiting on the salesweasel to hunt it down back in the stockroom, there was a chick in there complaining about someone opening up a cell phone account with her Social Security number........she blew up at the "sista" that appearantly sold the account.......It was quite an earful! She said alotta non-kid-friendly words and stormed out with a promise..."...I'm bringin' the law with me when I come back!"

K5MAR

Premium Subscriber
I agree, Radio Shack is not the hobbyist-friendly store it was 20-30 years ago, you know why? It's because we, as hobbyists, don't spend the kind of money that cellphone users spend. From talking to friends at the local Shack, including one who is a ham, I'd guestimate that they make 15-20 times as much from cellphone sales as they do from hobbyist sales. As the saying goes: "Show me the money!" If you think the store closings are bad now, think what would happen if they actually did away with their bread and butter sales - cellphones?

Like it or not.
Mark

rpowley

K5MAR said:
I agree, Radio Shack is not the hobbyist-friendly store it was 20-30 years ago, you know why? It's because we, as hobbyists, don't spend the kind of money that cellphone users spend. From talking to friends at the local Shack, including one who is a ham, I'd guestimate that they make 15-20 times as much from cellphone sales as they do from hobbyist sales. As the saying goes: "Show me the money!" If you think the store closings are bad now, think what would happen if they actually did away with their bread and butter sales - cellphones?

Like it or not.
Mark
K5MAR kind of summed it up. I go to Radio Shack a couple of times a month. The only thing that keeps me from losing my mind every time I visit a store, is excepting the fact that "it is what it is". I know I will be bombarded with requests to buy batteries, get a new cell phone & plan, purchase an extended warrenty, and sign up for a R/S card. I normally go online to make sure the store shows to have what I'm looking for in stock, tell them this is all that I'm going to purchase when they start in, and take my stuff and go home. I try to never, ever ask any questions.

N4UYV_Al

I'm in the connector section looking....
"Hi sir, is there something I could help you look for?"
me- "Are you a ham radio operator?" still looking at the connectors...
"Uh no sir, but several hams do work here.."
me-"Are they working here right now"?
"no sir..."
me-"Thanks anyway, I'm all set...."

That's the way it use ta be...Now I drive the 140 miles to Salem,NH. to Ham Radio Outlet & get what I ask for..It's worth the trip....Scanners I'll get at RS..

sac-emt

I had a RS card and have not used it since the 90's. First and foremost, due to the high interest rate and especially now that they will not take their credit card payments at the stores.

See ya!

Like said by others earlier, they are not the hobbyist store they used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.