radioshack dead won`t lite up 2051

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve2349

Hi, I have a radio shack pro-2051 it is totaly dead nothing i opened it up every thing looks ok nothing burnt .it was turned off ,but still pluged in .lighten hit the power line out side blew up transforner on tel.pole .everything else in the house is ok .esp. the scanner .if any one know how to fix it or where i should send it to ,to be fixed I would be grateful .thanks for any info .steve

Benzman66

Hi, I have a radio shack pro-2051 it is totaly dead nothing i opened it up every thing looks ok nothing burnt .it was turned off ,but still pluged in .lighten hit the power line out side blew up transforner on tel.pole .everything else in the house is ok .esp. the scanner .if any one know how to fix it or where i should send it to ,to be fixed I would be grateful .thanks for any info .steve

I would first check the AC adapter with a multimeter to make sure it is still good and putting out power.That may be the issue. .If the AC was plugged in the wall outlet, a surge may have ruined it.

Benzman66

If that other AC you tried was definitely good and had the right polarity on the tip, then the next thing would be the power regulator inside the scanner on the board. It is the piece with three legs on it towards the corner. Usually can get this part for a few bucks at, believe it or not, Radio Shack, or any electronic parts store. Pretty easy to fix if you know how to solder. If you don't, get someone who knows how to. I would hate seeing you have to pay $40-$50 for labor on such a small fix that would take about 5 minutes or less.

Highly doubtful if the surge could ruin any other components if the scanner was turned off at the time.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Although it is look late now, I would invest in a small UPS unit with built in power surge protection that you can get for about $30 or less and a Lightning arrestor for your antenna as well. It would be good for onloy a few minutes on UPS, put the surge protection would be critical.

If lightning hit the pole it may have also 'arc'd' to your antenna and down into the radio as well, and that would be the likely damage point as well to ponder...

It would not matter if the unit was power-on or plugged in if the antenna got zapped or had a high static discharge...

Look at your antenna, coax and connectors to see if any damage....hope you get it fixed up...

Make sure that the AC adaptor that you used to test with is correct; even though it may fit the receptical on the radio there is two different pin diameters, if you use an adaptor with the larger pin receptical and the radio requires the small your radio won't get power. Someone suggested using a DVM to check for voltage at the tip of the adaptor, that would be the prudent thing to do.

steve2349

wow thanks for all the info .i think I will try power reg .yes its not ac adapter.it was on one of those cheap power strips .thanks steve p.s. I checked antenna because a few arms broke off from the wind .over the last few years .everything looked ok .

Status
Not open for further replies.