RadioShack Mag Mount Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
It is cool because...
a) It could come off at high speeds
b) Even if it doesn't come off, it could slide around on the roof and scratch the paint
c) ???
d) None of the above

If the finish is compromised, over time it could cause the roof to rust. No, its probably not a huge deal and you are not in any danger of the roof collapsing, but if it was me, I wouldn't do it.

I looked at the calendar. Its December 23, not April 1. A paper towel? Is this a good idea?? Seriously??? You're kidding, right?

What I have done is to use the plastic lid of a coffee can, but you have to cut out the little thingie in the middle of the lid so the antenna sits flat agains the plastic. I used it on smaller antennas with no real problems. In your case, you are already dealing with a magnet that is barely strong enough to hold the antenna to a metal roof as it is and the plastic could cause it to slide around but probably cause less damage to the roof.

If you stick with the mag mount, you should still take it off periodically and clean off the roof. I think you really will be surprised to see what it does to the finish. Of course, YMMV!

When I meant I would leave it on permanently, I would still be removing it every week and clean the surface underneath...if I do that, will it be okay to use as my main antenna?

N0IU

Actually it will probably be fine. It is not a great choice for winter time when it snows because any water that accumulates under the magnet (and water will get under there!), will freeze and make a less-than-ideal surface for the magnet to stick to.

Mag mounts are (usually) cheap and meant to be temporary. No, you don't have to get one that mounts behind the spare tire, but mounting something to the rear hatch or the luggage rack would be a better way to mount an antenna, IMHO. Diamond makes many good mounts with a wide variety of applications.

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/samples.html

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Actually it will probably be fine. It is not a great choice for winter time when it snows because any water that accumulates under the magnet (and water will get under there!), will freeze and make a less-than-ideal surface for the magnet to stick to.

Mag mounts are (usually) cheap and meant to be temporary. No, you don't have to get one that mounts behind the spare tire, but mounting something to the rear hatch or the luggage rack would be a better way to mount an antenna, IMHO. Diamond makes many good mounts with a wide variety of applications.

Diamond® Antenna ~ Sample Photos & Installation Tips

I appreciate the feedback! I think I will keep it on my roof - every week I plan on cleaning underneath the base so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year! :)

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Question for you guys - anyone who has the RadioShack mag mount, does it scratch the surface of paint? I would think that it doesn't just because it has that soft coating under the magnet, but can someone make me feel better? ;) lol. I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this so I figured I can continue on this thread...

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I've had several RS Mag mounts and still use them, but I like my Hustler Mag Mounts better. They have a strong magnet and cover all the bands. Only thing I had to do to them was use some locking pliers to really get the antenna screwed to the base nice and snug.

Yes the RS Magnets are not that strong but (fingers crossed) I've never had any of them to fall off yet. I also use a small piece of crafting material that I cut out to protect my paint. Have had good luck with everything so far.

73s

Chad

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I've had several RS Mag mounts and still use them, but I like my Hustler Mag Mounts better. They have a strong magnet and cover all the bands. Only thing I had to do to them was use some locking pliers to really get the antenna screwed to the base nice and snug.

Yes the RS Magnets are not that strong but (fingers crossed) I've never had any of them to fall off yet. I also use a small piece of crafting material that I cut out to protect my paint. Have had good luck with everything so far.

73s

Chad

Since I have the RadioShack mag mount already, I think I will stay with that. The magnet underneath seemed to have some type of protection under it, so I wonder if I would be okay just leaving the mount as is on the roof of my Jeep. It doesn't seem like the type of material would scratch my paint...do I need to worry about rusting? I am guessing with newer cars they are made with aluminum rather than steel, (I think), so I don't have to worry about that...

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I have no complaints about the RS Mag Mount antenna, it sits on top of my white Astro Van like it belongs there. I've ran several different antenna on my van.
The first was a newer model dbl. loaded mag mount RS antenna. I too had trouble keeping it on the van on really windy days on the highway. I then went to a Ham shop and bought an 800 MHz rare earth magnet antenna. The magnets footprint was smaller, but so was the lead wire, which I evntually damaged and discarded. My neighbor had a RS Dbl. loaded Mag Mount antenna sitting on a shelf in his garage, which he sold me for 10 bucks. This version was older and much heavier construction. I have been running it for about 3 years now, and hope it lasts a few years longer. I believe the older stuff was better built.
Final note, just about any antenna will help out a portable scanner in a vehicle. Scanners are short range radios anyway. I'm an avid listener, but I have no technical data to back up my humble opinions.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I have no complaints about the RS Mag Mount antenna, it sits on top of my white Astro Van like it belongs there. I've ran several different antenna on my van.
The first was a newer model dbl. loaded mag mount RS antenna. I too had trouble keeping it on the van on really windy days on the highway. I then went to a Ham shop and bought an 800 MHz rare earth magnet antenna. The magnets footprint was smaller, but so was the lead wire, which I evntually damaged and discarded. My neighbor had a RS Dbl. loaded Mag Mount antenna sitting on a shelf in his garage, which he sold me for 10 bucks. This version was older and much heavier construction. I have been running it for about 3 years now, and hope it lasts a few years longer. I believe the older stuff was better built.
Final note, just about any antenna will help out a portable scanner in a vehicle. Scanners are short range radios anyway. I'm an avid listener, but I have no technical data to back up my humble opinions.

I like my RadioShack mag mount a lot! It does what it's supposed to do - get great reception (in my opinion it rocks!). Do you keep it on your car all the time? Originally, I was a little worried about getting scratches on my roof but the mag mount was made to be on top of a car - I am not too worried. Can you take a picture of how you set yours up?

Happy New Year! :)

N6RDC

I keep my RS mag mount on my car all the time....on the trunk since it's easiest to run the coax into the car through the trunk plus it keeps the antenna out of the wind. I don't have problems with it bolwing off the car but it does seem to have a cheap, weak magnet.
But cost is the main plus for this antenna, mine works great for scanner reception as well as use for 2meter and 440 mhz ham use. For $30 a decent working antenna with coax included is hard to beat.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I found the antenna to be great but after awhile I found myself getting annoyed - for example, I parked my car in the garage and it fell over - I totally forgot about it. It is also starting to rust. I can live without a scanner in my car - I am not in my car that often anyway...it'll sit in the garage for now lol. I am happy to have a Jeep without the crap on top :)

Highpockets

I found the antenna to be great but after awhile I found myself getting annoyed - for example, I parked my car in the garage and it fell over - I totally forgot about it. It is also starting to rust. I can live without a scanner in my car - I am not in my car that often anyway...it'll sit in the garage for now lol. I am happy to have a Jeep without the crap on top :)

You'll change your mind again, it will be on the Jeep next week. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.