RadioShack Pro-106 VS GRE-PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

railroadertwo

What are the thoughts about choosing one over the other, I already have the RadioShack Pro-197 and software and the programing cable. Thanks KC0WNY

safetyobc

The 500 comes with an AC adapter so if you don't need or care about that, then it would be cheaper to go with the 106 (typically about $50 to $75 cheaper). Especially since you already have the programming cable.

Also the 500 has a top firing speaker and the 106 is on the bottom, so if you use it in the car and set it in a cup holder that might be a concern.

Other than that, I can't think of any thing different.

rwier

What are the thoughts about choosing one over the other, I already have the RadioShack Pro-197 and software and the programing cable. Thanks KC0WNY

Well, I can only speak for the 500, but at the bargain prices on these radios today, this would appear to be a very attractive purchase option. And if (that's a really BIG if) you can get either to work as well as my 500 does, then you will have made the deal of the century, lol.

Rob

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I have owned both, and currently own a 106. Other than the cable coming with the 500, both are just as described. FWIW, I have had my 106 for about 2 weeks now, and I can hear an ever so slight difference in P-25 audio quality in it's favor. Ever so slight, but for me I can detect it. Don't let that sway your choice, just one more opinion. Both are, IMHO, great scanners, especially on P-25!

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I have both now, and they are about as identical as two radios can be. Same sensitivity, etc. If you already have the cable, the 106 can be bought, used, for under $250. Mine was $246, including shipping.

Nasby

I think the PRO-106 has a sleeker and "sexier" look to it. The display also seems brighter on the PRO-106 too. As for performance, I have both models and they perform identically. They are superb scanners.

railroadertwo

Pro-106 VS GRE-PSR-500

Appears that the GRE-PSR-500 has the best price at the moment, RS doesn't appear to have any sales going on at the moment.

n8zcc

Premium Subscriber
If price is a big issue, just give it time. It is VERY often on sale in the $300 range.

Picked up my PRO-106 on sale for $300. They also had a half off promotion on the USB programming cable if purchased along with the radio. This seems to be an on-going promotion so if it is not offered, ask for it.

Nasby

And don't forget, there are coupons galore from coupon cabin for twenty dollars off a purchase of 200 dollars or more.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Another basic Wildcard Quest or two...

I seem to recall reading somewhere, can't figure out where anymore, that when a wildcard group appears in the scan list of an 800 trunked system, and you monitor that wildcard in "manual", one doest NOT hear any talkgroups that appear in that scan list. (PSR500)

Seems silly and doesn't really make sense that that would be the case, but, that can't be right, can it? Experimentation would indicate that you get everything irregardless of what is in that scan list.

Also, if one has a private wildcard, and park on it, will it pick stuff up, or are there special considerations over and beyond that?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
When u pgm in the "Wildcard" and sit on it u hear "ALL" the TG's even the ones programmed in the scanner....The "PC" WCARD are private or "iCALLS, if the system your monitoring uses this mode when your in scan it will stop on a iCalll if you programmed it in and u can "stor" it like a TG....

Status
Not open for further replies.