RadioShack PRO-405 scanner issues

Scott1959

Hello all,

I am a new one so please be patient! I have had a RadioShack PRO-405 scanner for quite a number of years. I have never been able to get the unit to perform as well as I think it should. I have programmed it a number of times with frequencies for police, fire, road commission and hospitol in my area ( Midland, Bay City, Gladwin MI and surrounding areas). The scan will stop on a frequency and I very rarely hear any transmission. I usually hear a brief blast of static and then resume scanning. Else, I will briefly hear a "grinding" noise on a frequency and then resume scanning. I have adjusted the squelch frequently ( it is presently about halfway on the scale). When I do hear a transmission, the voice is so faint that I have to turn the volume up and then the static transmissions are unbearably loud. The NOAA weather transmissions come in loud and clear.

I've tried different locations in the house, usually near a window. I am using the factory antenna. I live on a main road with clear view of the south, but am wooded to the west, north and east.

Do I need a better antenna? If so, any recommendations? Is this a good unit, or do I need to upgrade? I am not well versed in UHF, VHF, or all that, I just would like to hear interesting stuff. Any help is most appreciated!!

Scott

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
-Midland County and Midland City are both on a digital system with the law units either part-time or full-time encrypted. Encrypted signals cannot be monitored.
-Bay County is on the same P25 phase 2 digital system but law and fire are reportedly unencrypted
-Gladwin County is also on this system but law and fire are reportedly unencrypted.
Michigan P25 System

1-Your 405 is not capable of receiving digital signals. You need a scanner that can decode phase 2 digital
2-Strongly suggest you click on 'Report' in the lower left corner of my post and request to have this thread moved to the Michigan forum to be certain that the info I posted from the RR database is correct and current.

Good luck.

Scott1959

-Midland County and Midland City are both on a digital system with the law units either part-time or full-time encrypted. Encrypted signals cannot be monitored.
-Bay County is on the same P25 phase 2 digital system but law and fire are reportedly unencrypted
-Gladwin County is also on this system but law and fire are reportedly unencrypted.
Michigan P25 System

1-Your 405 is not capable of receiving digital signals. You need a scanner that can decode phase 2 digital
2-Strongly suggest you click on 'Report' in the lower left corner of my post and request to have this thread moved to the Michigan forum to be certain that the info I posted from the RR database is correct and current.

Good luck.
Thank you, Rich. Great info and sad to hear my scanner is outdated but I guess I get to buy a new toy!

I will request the thread be moved as you suggested.

Scott

freqs

Do your homework before you buy a Scanner also Simulcast Distortion On towers that are Simulcast .Onthat note I suggest the Uniden SDS100 OR SDS 200