RadioShack Pro 651 Scanner Programming is Disgusting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trappermash

Does anyone out there know how to program a RadioShack Pro 651 Scanner? I am on a fixed income and cannot pay to get another scanner.

bama9999

The easiest way is to use software. Do you have the programming cable for the Pro 651? If so, the software on the following link will allow you to program your scanner. Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

Win500, ARC500 and PSREdit500 all have free, fully working 30 day demos available, so you can try them out and see which one works best for you.

If you don't have the cable, or otherwise just prefer to program by hand, this link to Mark's Easier to Understand scanner manual for the Pro 651 will hopefully be of some help to you. http://new.marksscanners.com/106_197/106_197.shtml

I used to own a Pro197 and a Pro 106, which was pretty much the same scanner, but I mainly used software to program them and it's been so long that I really don't remember what any of the manual steps were.

Hope this helps.

kc2kth

I still have my 106 and my 197 and I agree, programming these is brutal even with the software. I really never got them setup to my satisfaction. That being said since I have both I may be able to chime in with some advice once you decide if you want to look at the software/cable method or manual programming. I've never tackled programming one of these manually I'll add.

DJ11DLN

If you weren't 'way up north I'd offer to come by and program it for you (I'm in the Terre Haute area). Yes, these radios are pretty daunting to program manually. With software, once you get the hang of it, they're not really all that bad. I have a 197 and a 651 that I'm pretty fond of...they do a number of things better than my newer scanners do them.

Status
Not open for further replies.