Radioshack Pro 97 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed509

I just recently bought a Radioshack Pro 97 and I have no idea how to use it, so any information on how to program the unit would be much appreciated. I live in orange county, so ideally i would like it to be programmed for Orange County Fire departments. Thanks

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97 programming

Hello and welcome to RadioReference.com.

There are several Orange Countys in the USA, so I wonder which state you are in.

The best way to program a PRO-97 is by using software. You will also need a cable (it goes from a USB jack to the PC/IF jack on the scanner). I use WIN97 to program my PRO97s, but there are other great programs. You can get a cable from Radio Shack, or they are available online.

There's a lot of information here on RR in the Wiki section. Feel free to ask for specific help, it's overwhelming at first.

imbruski

My Pro 97 is still going strong after 5 years of daily use, Win97 software and the R/S programing cable will make your life easier. Also, the "Easier to Read Pro 97 Scanner Manual" from marksscanner.com will help.

ed509

Oh sorry about the first post, i'm from Orange County Ca and I'm completely new to using police scanners. I downloaded the win97 and bought the cable but when i go onto the program, i'm completely lost. I dont know where to get the frequencies or how to even program them in the unit itself. Thanks for the reply

N1BHH

dxradio2003

Orange County

Hi,

I understand that most if not all Orange County is encrypted and not able to be monitored. Maybe check more info from California forum site.

---dxradio

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Orange County California Fire

I just recently bought a Radioshack Pro 97 and I ... would like it to be programmed for Orange County Fire departments.
I've got a PRO-97 that's been running virtually 24/7 for years. Great scanner if the system you want to monitor is analog and not incompatibally rebanded.

Information on the system you want to program is here. I have monitored it with my PRO-97 when I am in your area. It is a "trunked radio system" and is a little tricky to program.

Find the "site" nearest you on the chart such as "countywide". Program in the frequencies which display in red or blue (such as 856.71250 & 857.46250). Set them each to "MO" mode. Set the bank of the scanner in which you programmed them to "MO" mode as well. I'd just set the bank to "open" at first. Scan those frequencies and you should be picking up radio traffic.

It's an additional few steps to make it so that the name of who you are hearing displays. The software does make it easier, but you do have to get the data in there.

ed509

I think i might of programmed my scanner wrong because when i hit scan through my frequencies, all I hear is static through all the channels. can anyone help?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-97

Are you using software to program the scanner or are you doing it all by hand?

ed509

I have been trying to input it by hand. When i want to listen to a station, i have to constantly press scan over and over until it stops on a channel with a transmission. Once I'm on the frequency, I have to press prgm inorder to hear it

ed509

New Radioshack pro97

I have a new radioshack Pro 97 and I am trying to program the fire department frequencies from Orange County, Ca. I have entered all the channels but when I press scan, the scanner will stop on channels with static. Every once in a while I would get some sort of transmission. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I am very new at this so any help would be great. Thanks.

DickH

I have a new radioshack Pro 97 and I am trying to program the fire department frequencies from Orange County, Ca. I have entered all the channels but when I press scan, the scanner will stop on channels with static. Every once in a while I would get some sort of transmission. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I am very new at this so any help would be great. Thanks.

It looks as if the Countywide site is the only one your PRO-97 can monitor. Here is the step-by-step programming using the two control channels listed in the database.

1) PGM-FUNC
2) Press the UP arrow to go to BANK 1 (or any bank you want).
3) Press TRUNK.
4) Press MODE until you see MOT (Motorola trunked system).
5) Press PGM.
6) Press the UP arrow to select a channel (I start in channel 1).
7) Enter 856.7125, press ENT (Enter).
8) Press the UP arrow, enter 856.4625, press ENT.
9) Press SCAN.
Now you should hear all active Talk Groups. That is OPEN mode.

Find the Talk Groups in the RadioReference database
Countywide Coordinated Communications System (CCCS) Trunking System, Orange County, California - Scanner Frequencies
Your PRO-97 can only hear the Talk Groups with an "A" (Analog) in the MODE column. All the fire groups seem to be A.
To hear only the TGs you want, choose them from the RR database and enter them into Scan Lists (or sub-banks). That is CLOSED mode.
To toggle between OPEN and CLOSED modes press FUNC 5.

Entering Talk Groups - Page 73
The Banks change to Scan Lists or sub-banks when it's trunking.
How to enter Talk Groups into the Scan Lists.
1) Press PGM.
2) Press TRUNK.
3) Press FUNC.
4) Select the Bank.
5) Press TRUNK.
6) Enter a Talk Group (like 12345), press E.
7) Enter next TG, etc.
8) Press SCAN.

ed509

I just tried doing those steps that you have posted DICK H, however when i press scan, the scanner will still stop on the channels that have static. I am also a little confused on entering the talk group, there is a section that has DEC and a section that has HEX, which one do i put into my scanner? thanks for the help

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you are hearing white noise turn the big knob to the right to make it stop the little knob in the center is the volume the big knob is the squelch the scanner will not scan when it hears noise. As far as trunking system goes are you using software if so where you enter talkgroups does it say dec or hex also all the channels you see with P25 this scanner will not hear this scanner is analog and those channels are digital. If you talkgroup says dec enter the dec number. You would be alot better off with the program cable and a Premium Subscription.

DickH

I just tried doing those steps that you have posted DICK H, however when i press scan, the scanner will still stop on the channels that have static. I am also a little confused on entering the talk group, there is a section that has DEC and a section that has HEX, which one do i put into my scanner? thanks for the help

As stated (didn't you read it?) when you hit SCAN it is hearing ALL active talk groups. That is OPEN mode. The "noise" are digital and/or encrypted TGs. To avoid stopping on those TGs, you need to enter TGs into sub-banks (or Scan Lists) and use CLOSED mode. Then you will hear only the TGs you have entered. Use the DEC column.

Status
Not open for further replies.