Radioshack vs GRE vs Uniden vs other Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
I have always been involved with scanners, ever since I was a kid... chasing fire engines on my bycicle at the age of 9 or 10 was so much fun back then. My very first scanner was a bearcat 4 crystal rig that monitored my local police and fire frequencies. My next 3 or 4 scanners were usually the cost effective models available through RadioShack. I consider myself well experienced with scanners, because I lived through the evolution of these fantastic little receiving devices through-out many years.

As of today, the current market place includes some of the worlds finest scanning radios. Scanner models are represented by a handfull of manufacturers, and many models are jam packed with wonderful features. Scanner enthusiasts can now purchase scanners that have capabilities that were only pipedreams a few short years ago. The newer scanners have offered us APCO P25 capabilities, Trunked systems, Digital... the list goes on and on.

This year is no different. 2009 started with a BANG. The economy is slow, but that doesn't really seem to stop the scanner enthusiast who wish to upgrade thier monitoring shack with the most up to date toys. Scanner sales still climb, especially with the introduction of the GRE manufactured RadioShack Pro-106 Hand-Held Digital Scanners. A few years back, I had been monitoring with a Pro-2006 Base Scanner which was well modified... I thought it was great to cut one leg of diode D503 to open up a whole new world of receiving capabilities. Modifications were great, and it helped us get more out of our scanners. Later, I aquired a Bearcat/Uniden UBC3300XLT (the Euro version of the BC250D continuous band coverage w/ no gaps) Hand-Held Scanner. This was a powerhouse, with its trunktracker III, EDACS, Motorola, E.F. Johnson capabilities, CTCSS, and of course, it's optional BCi 25D APCO P-25 Digital Card which I just had to have. The UBC3300XLT served me well, until my County Sheriff went Digital, on an 800 mhz trunked system, and was only able to be monitored in 9600 baud. Around this time, scanners such as the Pro-96 and 396 were just coming into sight. Technology was really entering the scanner industry, keeping up with the modern two-way communications radios.

I soon found myself in desperate need for an upgrade, or should I say that I now required a more modern, updated scanner. I began my investigation and compared model to model for specific options, and features. I fell in love with a small hand-full, some only having one or two minor drawbacks, and some which I felt had everything I wanted, but were way to pricey. I learned alot about the RadioShack Pro-106 Hand-Held towards the end of 2008. I compared the prices of the 106, the GRE-PSR500, and others and after learning that the BIG 3 (scanners that were on my wish list) were about to cost me around 500.00 dollars, I opted to hold off on my purchase. The features list were shared quite well amongst the BIG 3 that were on my list. Low and behold, The BIG SALE came into view, and I was able to purchase the scanner of my dreams for a price that my wife even enjoyed. I purchased the RadioShack Pro-106 scanner. It had everything I could ever want. Features like V folders, Objects, programmable LED and alarms, Zeromatic, Skywarn, NOAA SAME, Signal Stalker II, CTCSS and DCS, NAC decoder, Digital AGC, supertrack, audio boost, etc...

The new Pro-106 has a learning curve. One that is best learned by experimintation, programming software, and of course, reading the owners manual. This RadioShack scanner is truly everything I had ever hoped for in a scanner, and I honestly feel the need to appluad RadioShack for having GRE make the Pro-106 model. I now consider myself upgraded to the newest wave of scanning radios available today. The Pro-106 really shines on 800 mhz when you swap out the rubber duckie stock antenna for a band specific 800 mhz tuned antenna. Better yet, I chose to use my Hand-Held 106 as a Base, and attatched LMR-400 coax and a discone outdoors on a mast. I receive signals from close to 70 miles away. In fact, lastnite I purchased my first yagi for 800 mhz, and I shall begin to experiment with a whole new antenna system to include a switch box to enable an array of antennas. The possibilities are endless with this scanner from RadioShack.

I am overwhelmed by the RR website members who have nothing to say but positive remarks regarding this new 106. I have read countless stories of how many members were able to find one for the low price of around 300.00 dollars during some short, but previous sales. Whether or not it was a RadioShack ploy to close out thier 2008 books, it worked for many, and it was a good deal... again, more BANG for the buck. That being said, I am back to being a fan of RadioShack, not just for the price I paid, but more so for the fact that they are able to offer an extremely good quality, feature packed, scanner, to so many of us in need. The economy might be bad, but scanner times are good. I do believe that there is a perfect scanner out there for everybody. It doesn't have to be the Pro-106, however it was for, and I also believe that manufacturers will come down in price a bit this year due to the economy. For whatever its worth, if you do own a RadioShack Pro-106 Scanner, and want to show your pride in its ownership, I invite you to join a little social group that I started right here on RadioReference. The group is one month old, and has approx 25 members in it. Its a public group, and I encourage owners of the 106 to join. Its just a fun little place where we can hang our hat. The RR page covering social groups is a fun little area, no matter what scanner you own, no matter what radio rig you enjoy, you will probably find a group that you will like, or, just start your own little group. The sky is the limit. Happy Monitoring !! Thank you RadioShack, and thank you RadioReference and its members.

here is a link to the social group right here on RR http://www.radioreference.com/forums/group.php?groupid=33

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
thank you

good read i enjoyed it. i don't have a pro-106 but that's on my list to get one eventually.

The Pro-106 (RadioShack P/N 20-106) is a wonderful hand-held scanner. I check the RS website from time to time to watch the prices rise and fall depending on advertised sales. I see today that it is listed at the $499.99 price tag again. This I believe was the original price when it first hit the market a few short months ago, around August and September of 2008. It ranked right up there with the top dogs regarding features and of course, the price. There were a few scanner makers, mostly of the newer models, that carried this 500.00 dollar range price tag. As the 106's were being sold "ON SALE" and then finally the BIG 36 Hour SALE which began on December 18th, the stores and the website ran out of them. They are still listed as "OUT OF STOCK" on the RS website, they have been out of stock since the middle of December, following the BIG ONE and are quite scarce in the RS retail stores. Keep an eye open for them, more of them are being manufactured as we speak. While I do not believe that we will ever see another BIG sale advertising them at 299.99 again, they are well worth the money if they come down to around the $399.99 price tag. They are extraodinary receivers, and cost alot of money for good reason. They surely rank up there with the $500.00 scanners available today. Ya never know, they could come down in price again when the new 396XT gets introduced in 2009. I am sure that you will find what you are looking for in the future. Regards, Kevin.

eddie412

The Pro-106 (RadioShack P/N 20-106) is a wonderful hand-held scanner. I check the RS website from time to time to watch the prices rise and fall depending on advertised sales. I see today that it is listed at the $499.99 price tag again. This I believe was the original price when it first hit the market a few short months ago, around August and September of 2008. It ranked right up there with the top dogs regarding features and of course, the price. There were a few scanner makers, mostly of the newer models, that carried this 500.00 dollar range price tag. As the 106's were being sold "ON SALE" and then finally the BIG 36 Hour SALE which began on December 18th, the stores and the website ran out of them. They are still listed as "OUT OF STOCK" on the RS website, they have been out of stock since the middle of December, following the BIG ONE and are quite scarce in the RS retail stores. Keep an eye open for them, more of them are being manufactured as we speak. While I do not believe that we will ever see another BIG sale advertising them at 299.99 again, they are well worth the money if they come down to around the $399.99 price tag. They are extraodinary receivers, and cost alot of money for good reason. They surely rank up there with the $500.00 scanners available today. Ya never know, they could come down in price again when the new 396XT gets introduced in 2009. I am sure that you will find what you are looking for in the future. Regards, Kevin.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for them when I see one on sale. I'm gonna snatch it :D

kf4uuz

I have always been involved with scanners, ever since I was a kid... chasing fire engines on my bycicle at the age of 9 or 10 was so much fun back then. My very first scanner was a bearcat 4 crystal rig that monitored my local police and fire frequencies. My next 3 or 4 scanners were usually the cost effective models available through RadioShack. I consider myself well experienced with scanners, because I lived through the evolution of these fantastic little receiving devices through-out many years.

As of today, the current market place includes some of the worlds finest scanning radios. Scanner models are represented by a handfull of manufacturers, and many models are jam packed with wonderful features. Scanner enthusiasts can now purchase scanners that have capabilities that were only pipedreams a few short years ago. The newer scanners have offered us APCO P25 capabilities, Trunked systems, Digital... the list goes on and on.

This year is no different. 2009 started with a BANG. The economy is slow, but that doesn't really seem to stop the scanner enthusiast who wish to upgrade thier monitoring shack with the most up to date toys. Scanner sales still climb, especially with the introduction of the GRE manufactured RadioShack Pro-106 Hand-Held Digital Scanners. A few years back, I had been monitoring with a Pro-2006 Base Scanner which was well modified... I thought it was great to cut one leg of diode D503 to open up a whole new world of receiving capabilities. Modifications were great, and it helped us get more out of our scanners. Later, I aquired a Bearcat/Uniden UBC3300XLT (the Euro version of the BC250D continuous band coverage w/ no gaps) Hand-Held Scanner. This was a powerhouse, with its trunktracker III, EDACS, Motorola, E.F. Johnson capabilities, CTCSS, and of course, it's optional BCi 25D APCO P-25 Digital Card which I just had to have. The UBC3300XLT served me well, until my County Sheriff went Digital, on an 800 mhz trunked system, and was only able to be monitored in 9600 baud. Around this time, scanners such as the Pro-96 and 396 were just coming into sight. Technology was really entering the scanner industry, keeping up with the modern two-way communications radios.

I soon found myself in desperate need for an upgrade, or should I say that I now required a more modern, updated scanner. I began my investigation and compared model to model for specific options, and features. I fell in love with a small hand-full, some only having one or two minor drawbacks, and some which I felt had everything I wanted, but were way to pricey. I learned alot about the RadioShack Pro-106 Hand-Held towards the end of 2008. I compared the prices of the 106, the GRE-PSR500, and others and after learning that the BIG 3 (scanners that were on my wish list) were about to cost me around 500.00 dollars, I opted to hold off on my purchase. The features list were shared quite well amongst the BIG 3 that were on my list. Low and behold, The BIG SALE came into view, and I was able to purchase the scanner of my dreams for a price that my wife even enjoyed. I purchased the RadioShack Pro-106 scanner. It had everything I could ever want. Features like V folders, Objects, programmable LED and alarms, Zeromatic, Skywarn, NOAA SAME, Signal Stalker II, CTCSS and DCS, NAC decoder, Digital AGC, supertrack, audio boost, etc...

The new Pro-106 has a learning curve. One that is best learned by experimintation, programming software, and of course, reading the owners manual. This RadioShack scanner is truly everything I had ever hoped for in a scanner, and I honestly feel the need to appluad RadioShack for having GRE make the Pro-106 model. I now consider myself upgraded to the newest wave of scanning radios available today. The Pro-106 really shines on 800 mhz when you swap out the rubber duckie stock antenna for a band specific 800 mhz tuned antenna. Better yet, I chose to use my Hand-Held 106 as a Base, and attatched LMR-400 coax and a discone outdoors on a mast. I receive signals from close to 70 miles away. In fact, lastnite I purchased my first yagi for 800 mhz, and I shall begin to experiment with a whole new antenna system to include a switch box to enable an array of antennas. The possibilities are endless with this scanner from RadioShack.

I am overwhelmed by the RR website members who have nothing to say but positive remarks regarding this new 106. I have read countless stories of how many members were able to find one for the low price of around 300.00 dollars during some short, but previous sales. Whether or not it was a RadioShack ploy to close out thier 2008 books, it worked for many, and it was a good deal... again, more BANG for the buck. That being said, I am back to being a fan of RadioShack, not just for the price I paid, but more so for the fact that they are able to offer an extremely good quality, feature packed, scanner, to so many of us in need. The economy might be bad, but scanner times are good. I do believe that there is a perfect scanner out there for everybody. It doesn't have to be the Pro-106, however it was for, and I also believe that manufacturers will come down in price a bit this year due to the economy. For whatever its worth, if you do own a RadioShack Pro-106 Scanner, and want to show your pride in its ownership, I invite you to join a little social group that I started right here on RadioReference. The group is one month old, and has approx 25 members in it. Its a public group, and I encourage owners of the 106 to join. Its just a fun little place where we can hang our hat. The RR page covering social groups is a fun little area, no matter what scanner you own, no matter what radio rig you enjoy, you will probably find a group that you will like, or, just start your own little group. The sky is the limit. Happy Monitoring !! Thank you RadioShack, and thank you RadioReference and its members.

here is a link to the social group right here on RR http://www.radioreference.com/forums/group.php?groupid=33[/QUOTE

Great post Kevin. The PRO-106's are everything you say they are.

>>>>Alan kf4uuz

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
The GRE made for RS scanners the last few years have been exceptional. I need to re tune my 2055 as it is somewhat deaf on most bands, but the pro-197 has the best sensitivity of any receiver I've owned. It is up there with my commercial equip for sens but not rejection. Having said that, RS service is hit or miss. I got a great deal at a dealer(franchise?) who didn't blink an eye about the $299 sale. He only commented on the F&F coupon and said "that's a hell of a deal".( I should of thrown in a 106 too) I hope to pick up a 106 if it comes back down to the $299 price either next winter or sooner.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
Quality Equipment !!

The GRE made for RS scanners the last few years have been exceptional. I need to re tune my 2055 as it is somewhat deaf on most bands, but the pro-197 has the best sensitivity of any receiver I've owned. It is up there with my commercial equip for sens but not rejection. Having said that, RS service is hit or miss. I got a great deal at a dealer(franchise?) who didn't blink an eye about the $299 sale. He only commented on the F&F coupon and said "that's a hell of a deal".( I should of thrown in a 106 too) I hope to pick up a 106 if it comes back down to the $299 price either next winter or sooner.

The old Realistic Pro-2006 (M/N 20-145A) was also an incredible scanner... its sensitivity was unmatched for several years. It is still in my current line-up as one of my best (still in use) all time favorites. It was able to be modified in many ways back then. (my 2006 has S/N 004618)

jnewell

Is there any noticeable difference between the PS500 and PS600 and their respective RS copies? The GRE versions seem to come out a little cheaper on non-sale pricing, since they seem to run ~$450 rather than $500 and include the $30 cable, which is an optional extra with the RS scanners.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It appears that the only difference is on the PRO-106 speaker placement/keypad vs. the PSR-500. Other than that, I can't see any difference in function.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
It appears that the only difference is on the PRO-106 speaker placement/keypad vs. the PSR-500. Other than that, I can't see any difference in function.

function is the same, wall-wart and USB cable are not included with the 106. The 106 is currently tagging a price tag of $499.99 and its finally back in stock on the RS website.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
modified PRO-2006

I read in one thread pro-2006 well modified, since I'am new, what's all modified on a scanner?

A few years ago, actually many years ago, when the Pro-2006 was new, it was a 400 channel base scanner, with a sensitive front end, and it had a sound squelch button and also had HYPERSCAN for scanning at an extremely fast rate of speed, for scanners of that era...

The Pro-2006 was and still is an awesome base scanner. It was one of the last scanners that were being manufactured, that could be altered, by clipping one leg of a diode, or simply by removing it, to open up the blocked cellular phone band. The diode was put in place to block scanner owners from listening in on cell phone conversations up in the 800 mhz band, which was part of the privacy listening act. Now a days, cell phones are transmitting differently, so the old scanner modifications no longer work, but it was fun while it lasted.

Other modifications were done to that scanner also, they included a few mod's that were listed in the book written and published by Bill Cheek, a well known scanner hacker at that time. Some of those mod's included an led S-meter, a recording "tape out" switch, and a carrier on or "busy" led light. A green led light would be iluminated until squelch broke and a transmission was being heard, once a transmission began, the green led would go off and a red led would come on to indicate channel "busy"... his book had many mod's, and I chose to do the easier ones.

The scanner is still in use to this day, I monitor some distant VHF frequencies with it, using an outdoor, mast mounted discone antenna. It's still a performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.