• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radius m1225 station found in the trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
This is all I get when I do an FCC ID search

Freq. Emissions Des. Parts
Notes
1 150 174 48 0.00025 % 16K0F3E 22,74,9 BM
2 150 174 48 0.00025 % 11K0F3E 22,74,90.21 BM

16K0F3E is wideband, 11K0F3E is narrowband.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Have you even tested that the radio works? Maybe it got tossed for a reason? (Shocking thought I know).

Those are old radios and they do die from time to time.

splash07s

16K0F3E is wideband, 11K0F3E is narrowband.

I guess that means its good for both?

Have you even tested that the radio works? Maybe it got tossed for a reason? (Shocking thought I know).

Those are old radios and they do die from time to time.

I have not really tested it bc I do not have the software but when I turn it on I can see one pre-programmed channel.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a dummy load and wattmeter you can put on it to see if it's making any power?

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I dont have a dummy load, do have a meter though.
Okay, we definitely don't want to transmit without knowing where it's programmed. If you can ask around, one of the local ham clubs might be able to check it out for you prior to going too far. I'd want to make sure at least the PA works and that it's reasonably on frequency. (If it were a PM or CM I'd be a whole lot more worried, the M1225 > CM any day in my book). Plus they're so cute and tiny!

splash07s

yeah that seems to be the most common answer , find someone locally who can check it for me. I'm leaning towards selling the radio unit and getting something more useful for me and more updated to be honest.

I will be keeping the power supply and mic though, now that I know the power supply hood comes off. There has been so much great info in this thread about this radio and I have learned more in the last couple days I feel like than ever. Thanks to all the great people here.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
and if you don't know if it works! There should ALWAYS be a place in a ham shack for a bit of MOTO gear...

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I guess that means its good for both?

Yes.

I have not really tested it bc I do not have the software but when I turn it on I can see one pre-programmed channel.

Put your scanner in close call, or even better use a frequency counter if you have one. Put a dummy load on the radio (as a good ham you do have a dummy load, right?), and key up briefly. If you see a frequency pop up you'll at least know that it's transmitting.

Alternatively connect an SWR bridge (as a good ham you do have an SWR bridge, right?) between the radio and the dummy load and test it that way.

As someone mentioned these things do go bad from time to time, but it's rare; they're built well and sitting inside on a nice clean desk means it's probably OK.

might be hard to sell the radio without the mic.

Yes, don't separate the radio and the desk mike. Besides, the mike will only work with certain Motorola models unless you rewire it, which would probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

splash07s

OK I DO have an SWR meter but I do NOT have a dummy load. I am fairly new to HAM and have not even bought my first radio yet. This is tech my first radio.

Seems like keeping the mic with the radio is the best idea. I def don't want to be rewiring it and the mic will most likely help it sell if I decide to do that.

Yocuz

Premium Subscriber
I found one too at a local flea market. M34 DGC 90J2AA

Would love to do something with it but have to figure what that is!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I found one too at a local flea market. M34 DGC 90J2AA

Would love to do something with it but have to figure what that is!

M34 = 25 watt UHF. Trouble is, the model number won't tell you what UHF bandsplit it is. It's either 403-430MHz or 449-470MHz. You can open the radio, remove the shields and look at the part number inside, and it'll tell you:

Yocuz

Premium Subscriber
M34 = 25 watt UHF. Trouble is, the model number won't tell you what UHF bandsplit it is. It's either 403-430MHz or 449-470MHz. You can open the radio, remove the shields and look at the part number inside, and it'll tell you:

Looks to be 449-470 MHZ

Will this thing only work within those ranges even with the "keyboard tricks" mentioned online?

For instance would this be able to get down into air band 108-137?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For instance would this be able to get down into air band 108-137?

No, absolutely will not go that far out of band.
With the shift key method you can put in whatever you want, but it won't mean the radio will work there. Usually a few MHz out of the design the VCO will unlock. You can modify it to get lock again, but only for a couple of MHz.
In other words, you may get it down to 445MHz, or up to 475MHz.

Even if you could, these are FM radios. 108-137 is VHF Air band, which uses AM and is not compatible with the FM radio.
And then there's the multitude of FCC Type Certification violations.
And then there's the requirement that programming an aircraft radio requires a GROL license.

Status
Not open for further replies.