• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radius m1225 station found in the trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

splash07s

Found this little base station setup in a dumpster. Only has one channel programmed in it. I know that the cable is easily found on ebay and that the software to program it may be found through motorola but only if you have a dealer account? Is it worth keeping it and getting it setup for my local channels?

Thanks, this is my first post. Long time lurker.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 248

KD9FAL

If it powers on and appears to work I would definitely keep it. You have a complete setup there, radio, power supply, antenna. Cable can be easily found online as you said. If you have your amateur radio license, check with some local hams, most of the time someone has the CPS and is willing to program it for you.

splash07s

I do have my tech license. Will I need the GMRS license as well? From my research this unit is a GMRS only radio?

VHF

• M33DGC90E2
    M1225 150 - 174 MHz, 4 Channel, 10-25 Watt
  • M43DGC90E2
    M1225 150 - 174 MHz, 4 Channel, 25-40 Watt
  • M33DGC90J2
    M1225 150 - 174 MHz, 20 Channel, 10-25 Watt
  • M43DGC90J2
    M1225 150 - 174 MHz, 20 Channel, 25-40 Watt
UHF

• M34DGC90E2
    M1225 450 - 474 MHz, 4 Channel, 10-25 Watt
  • M44DGC90E2
    M1225 450 - 474 MHz, 4 Channel, 25-40 Watt
  • M34DGC90J2
    M1225 450 - 474 MHz, 20 Channel, 10-25 Watt
  • M44DGC90J2
    M1225 450 - 474 MHz, 20 Channel, 25-40 Watt

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Nice find!

Usually those radios are either VHF or UHF, look at the model number tag on the bottom then look it up on BatLabs and you will get all the details.

I think they can hold up to 24 channels, 20 with alpha tags.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I might have some bad news about your M1225. Since it's been a legacy unit for so long, I believe it must be programmed using a DOS computer. I'm not sure if the latest Windows computer(s) can go into a slow-enough DOS mode, but I had two of them and they were good performers. If you know of someone who has an older DOS laptop or working DOS desktop you might be in luck. And, of course, this is contingent on getting working software with the right firmware for your radio.

I don't believe you can obtain DOS software any longer from Motorola for any legacy product.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I program my M1225 Radius radios with a WindowsXP 32bit PC. I've heard you can program them with never versions of Windows as long as it is an 32 bit OS but I have not tried it myself.

splash07s

I have the computer taken care of. I regularly keep older machines running XP (greatest OS of all time maybe) for various things including vehicle diagnostics. Looks like I have the VHF model (which makes sense based on where I found the dumpster). M43DGC90J2-M1225 150-174MHz, 20 Channel, 25-40 Watt.

6079smithw

What model number is it? As others have said, hang on to it. Good for both ham and GMRS (if UHF of course)
Both bands can be programmed to amateur freqs via CPS keyboard tricks. You definitely struck gold there!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If it works, then yes a GMRS license will be needed for the fun. You already have your FRN, so in less than 24 hours and a few dollars later you can have a GMRS license for 10 years.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
You will need to take the radio out of the housing to get the model number on the bottom of the radio. If that antenna is short say 6" probably UHF.

splash07s

Model is M43DGC90J2-M1225 (150 - 174 MHz, 20 Channel, 25-40 Watt) BatLabs says (136-162MHz or 146-174MHz)
So this is a VHF unit and not GRMS?

Seems like it will reach the 2m Amateur band, VHF business band, some public safety bands, MURS, VHF marine stations, and NOAA weather stations. Sound right? Can my Baofang uv-5r communicate with this?

I've seen many other quad and dual band radios that do not allow TX on the public safety bands above 150MHz but this one seems to allow it. I have suspicion that it was a former LE base station of some kind.

KD9FAL

Your baofeng can communicate with it. Keep in mind type acceptance with what your transmitting on, be it the baofeng or the m1225. Just because it can, doesn't mean it should.

Since it will allow TX above 150, doesn't mean it is LE. There is many users above 150 that are not LE. Almost all commercial radios will transmit above 150 Mhz, as that is usually what their intended for. Radios that don't transmit above 150 Mhz are normally ham radios, and are locked to ham frequencies.

If your programming in anything except amateur radio, make sure you have it programmed to not transmit, or have written authorization to use that frequency.

a417

U+0000
. I have suspicion that it was a former LE base station of some kind.
...or a fire department, ambulance station, rescue agency, MURS radio, industrial radio, public works, NOAA weather reciever...

used to have dozens of those things doing a variety of tasks. Not necessarily a LE radio.

That radio has a lot in common with a cockroach. Found in dark smelly old concrete buildings, damn near indestructable, will survive judgement day, usually in a dusty ass cabinet, probably near a million old twinkie wrappers...not suprised you found one in a garbage can.

Last edited:

splash07s

not familiar with type acceptance, but I assume that means like a part 90 talking only to other part 90 devices and so forth? As far as I know the baofangs are part 90 certified but I cant find anything on the m1225. My only HAM friend near me only has a baofang and a quad band in his car so I was hoping to set this up in my garage and communicate with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.