• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radius m1225 station found in the trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD9FAL

Most baofengs are not part 90 certified. They are allowed in part 97, amateur radio. Your m1225 is part 90 certified. You should have a FCC ID on the back of your radio, look that up and it will tell you its type acceptance.

K2NEC

Not to change the subject, but Baofengs aren't Type Accepted for Part 90.
They do make the UV-82C which is Part 90 Certified

splash07s

I've been seeing conflicting information about the certification of various baofangs as well as some people who claim that newer models are assumed to operate under older model certifications. All that aside, what kind of issues would we run into if his Baofang is not accepted as Part 90?

a417

U+0000
. All that aside, what kind of issues would we run into if his Baofang is not accepted as Part 90?
the online ire of the internets radio police tactical enforcement force of justice.

<jk>

If you don't cause interference to a legally licensed user or utility, you might be just fine as long as you live. If your radio blots out a emergency service or interferes with someone with deep pockets who files complaints and proves its you, and you get caught with it...what do you think? Was the $19.99 CCR worth the trouble now?

It's all about risk. Some people take it, some people laugh at it, others avoid it. Your call.

a417

U+0000
IANAL, but I used to administer a system back before Baofeng came into play. Flat rule, no radio on my our ( :ROFLMAO:) system unless it was approved and programmed by us. As a curtesy, I had to call in a lot of favors for some real oddball radios to get programmed (I def didn't have the ability to program an EF Johnson at the time) on it, but I atleast knew that so-and-so's radio was not going to blot out someone important, etc.
Biggest offender was part timers buying Vertex vhf hammie radios and programming them what they thought was correct...and it wasn't. The vertexes were pretty solid, didn't cause spurious emissions or interference, but they were a liability for several reasons. Ain't no way in hell I would have approved a baofeng in today's world.

So, it's all about how you use it and how much risk you want to personally accept using a knockoff product.

splash07s

Got it, thanks for the heads up. Basically what I figured but I'm pretty green so I am asking as many questions as possible.

Back to the m1225 (the subject of this thread, not someone else's baofang) if the lower frequency is 150MHz then that does not allow for the 2m amateur band and he and I will be limited to using VHF business band or MURS?

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I'm out of my area of knowledge here but isn't MURS limited to 2 watts? I don't think you can limit the power of this radio to 2 watts.

The best way to know the specific VHF band is to read the radio with software.

splash07s

No, you are correct and I had not accounted for that. MURS is limited to 2 watts and no repeaters either. I guess I'm struggling then to see where I would utilize this radio. I can use it as a scanner basically, monitor NOAA stations or public safety channels but I could do that with any number of other radios that do a lot more.

splash07s

I did a bit more research and found on BatLabs where you can program these out of band but also only if the radio has not been reprogrammed with a newer version of the software as the RSS for these radios is not backwards compatible. Some others have experienced low power output at lower frequencies when programmed out of band, say for 2m.

a417

U+0000
. I can use it as a scanner basically, monitor NOAA stations or public safety channels but I could do that with any number of
Now you see why it's in the trash? The power supply, antenna, and wiring are more useful. It would be a frustratingly slow scanner junked radio that scans NOAA stations and a handful of VHF frequencies that might still have analog conventional traffic on it.

K2NEC

I can use it as a scanner basically, monitor NOAA stations or public safety channels but I could do that with any number of other radios that do a lot more.
If that's all you intend to use it for then what I'd do is I would sell it on ebay for $150, and take that $150 and buy a scanner that can do a lot more than the M1225 ever will.

splash07s

Wondering if any other radios might fit the Astron SL-15SM/GTX or possibly find a UHF model of the m1225?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Got it, thanks for the heads up. Basically what I figured but I'm pretty green so I am asking as many questions as possible.

Back to the m1225 (the subject of this thread, not someone else's baofang) if the lower frequency is 150MHz then that does not allow for the 2m amateur band and he and I will be limited to using VHF business band or MURS?

Yes, you should be able to use it on the 2m ham band (at least, I've never had any trouble).

The software will not allow entry of a frequency below 150 MHz, but the trick is to hold the shift key while typing the numbers using the number keys on the top of the keyboard. Do NOT hold the shift key while typing the decimal point; for 146.520 you'll end up with !$^.%@) as the frequency entry. Then tab out of that field.

All kinds of useful info here: M1225/P1225

Fun radios to play with. I've got one with alpha display and 160 channel capacity which I use as a 2m desktop in the shack at home; it's tricked out with the local 2m repeaters as well as the railroad channels for railroad monitoring. I also put an MDC ID blip on a few 2m channels just to annoy a couple of people (although the post-transmission MDC blip does make a useful roger beep on repeaters without courtesy tones).

Last edited:

splash07s

damn if these little m1225s aren't bulletproof though, shame it has so few uses now.

Scott73

Those are pretty good ones. I own 2 for UHF that was going to be used for a small GMRS repeater and the repeater controller interfaced with the 16 pin connector. That project did not happen so I just have them sitting around. Might consider using them for GMRS simplex, sell on our favorite site, or just store them for now for a whacky idea to try.

6079smithw

Wondering if any other radios might fit the Astron SL-15SM/GTX or possibly find a UHF model of the m1225?

That power supply enclosure also fits CM and PM model radios, both of which are readily available on eBay etc.
(I have the CM300d on my desk as we speak) and the desk mike will work on just abut any Radius/Maxtrac unit.
The Free NMO magmount's a bonus! (y)
As others have mentioned, check with your local ham community, good chance somebody will have the right RSS
and cable to check your unit out and determine if it will run 2m ham freqs, or maybe do some horse-trading!
Damn shame you're on the other side of the country from me as I'd be happy to do it. Got a couple of 4-channel
1225s that my kids use GMRS mobile... great units.

Ya did good for a $0.00 investment.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
damn if these little m1225s aren't bulletproof though, shame it has so few uses now.

It depends on the vintage of the radio; if I recall correctly the M1225 models are narrow-band compliant, and if so they would still be perfectly good. Best way to find out is run the FCC ID through the FCC database and check the authorized emissions.

If it's still good for narrowband I'm a bit surprised someone would just chuck it in the dumpster. You got a heck of a find; the power supply alone is worth a few bucks.

That power supply enclosure also fits CM and PM model radios, both of which are readily available on eBay etc.
(I have the CM300d on my desk as we speak) and the desk mike will work on just abut any Radius/Maxtrac unit.

Pretty sure that power supply "hood" over the radio is just a shell that comes off and leaves an ordinary power supply; if necessary you could pull the "hood" off and use the power supply for other stuff without worrying about fit.

6079smithw

It depends on the vintage of the radio; if I recall correctly the M1225 models are narrow-band compliant, and if so they would still be perfectly good. Best way to find out is run the FCC ID through the FCC database and check the authorized emissions.

If it's still good for narrowband I'm a bit surprised someone would just chuck it in the dumpster. You got a heck of a find; the power supply alone is worth a few bucks.

Pretty sure that power supply "hood" over the radio is just a shell that comes off and leaves an ordinary power supply; if necessary you could pull the "hood" off and use the power supply for other stuff without worrying about fit.

Correct on all counts, 25/12.5 switch via RSS. As a lifelong 'scavenger', I'm always amazed at things people will toss...
either they don't know what they have or just don't care. I lost count of the electronics I've 'rescued' over the years.
Example: baby-sitting granddaughter last Fall, took her for a bike ride. Found a 55" Roku TV in an alley by trash cans.
Pedaled home, got my truck and grabbed the TV. Other than a missing power cable, not a thing wrong with it.
Got the usual cold stare from Grandma when I unloaded it. -- until she saw it working -- then all of a sudden it
becomes "her TV"... funny how that happens.

Last edited:

splash07s

This is all I get when I do an FCC ID search

Freq. Emissions Des. Parts
Notes
1 150 174 48 0.00025 % 16K0F3E 22,74,9 BM
2 150 174 48 0.00025 % 11K0F3E 22,74,90.21 BM

Status
Not open for further replies.