• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radius m1225 station found in the trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It depends on the vintage of the radio; if I recall correctly the M1225 models are narrow-band compliant, and if so they would still be perfectly good. Best way to find out is run the FCC ID through the FCC database and check the authorized emissions.

If it's still good for narrowband I'm a bit surprised someone would just chuck it in the dumpster. You got a heck of a find; the power supply alone is worth a few bucks.

Pretty sure that power supply "hood" over the radio is just a shell that comes off and leaves an ordinary power supply; if necessary you could pull the "hood" off and use the power supply for other stuff without worrying about fit.

The M1225's are narrowband capable. That being said, just because it's narrowband capable doesn't mean it's practical for anyone to use in a commercial environment. I can't tell you how many thousands of radios I've chunked in the trash due to customers upgrading to digital and no longer having a need for the radio (remember most of them had already completely written the radios cost off in taxes so they technically couldn't sell them). As far as keeping them going...in many cases it's not worthwhile to keep a 25 year old radio in operation in this day and age. For one, you have many large radio dealers which have completely removed the computers bench and field techs needed to program and align these radios. In cases where shops can still work on them, you often see "legacy radio" fees to cover the costs of maintaining those now defunct OSes and hardware they run on and by the time it's all said and done a repair can cost more than the cost of just purchasing a new radio.

Just as an example, between 2015 and 2019, I didn't do a single Mag One repair because by the time the customer got charged the diagnostics fee, the materials for the repair and the labor to actually perform the repair and re-align the radio...it was the same price to sell them a new Mag One.

com501

We're lucky to be able to get parts for a 10 year old radio, even now. More parts for newer radios aren't available or the schematics are restricted. Look at the MAg One. The radio cost is around $150, same as the flat rate fee. Where does a shop make any money?

merlin

And I thought those days were over. I would sometimes dumpster dive behind a local com shop and usually came up with something. One time was after a clean house thing and got a bunch of mobils, Deltas, mocom 70s, Master parts and assemblies, Micor base, old service manuals, new in box desk mic's.
And it all worked. My car would only hold so much.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
And I thought those days were over. I would sometimes dumpster dive behind a local com shop and usually came up with something. One time was after a clean house thing and got a bunch of mobils, Deltas, mocom 70s, Master parts and assemblies, Micor base, old service manuals, new in box desk mic's.

I never got that lucky, but I did score some TK-190s, TK-980v1s, and a pile of CBs from a site we were cleaning out in preparation for closure. They'd written the TK-190s off as dead because of the batteries and roached antennas; I had a personal TK-390 in my truck with a charged battery and confirmed they were all functional. Still got sent home with the things!

N4KVE

Sounds like I guy I know, Andrew. After the narrow banding deadline, he went dumpster diving behind a 2-way shop & took home a bunch of perfectly fine Maxtrac’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.