Radius

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMD

What's the difference in the radius of the transmitter sites, and the radius in the "View Talkgroup Category Details"?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
What's the difference in the radius of the transmitter sites, and the radius in the "View Talkgroup Category Details"?

Radius of the transmitter sites reflects the approximate coverage footprint of that tower site. Radius on a talkgroup category is the approximate area in which those talkgroups are used.

HMD

Radius of the transmitter sites reflects the approximate coverage footprint of that tower site. Radius on a talkgroup category is the approximate area in which those talkgroups are used.
So if my area is within the radius of the approximate area in which those talkgroups are used, shouldn't I be able to hear them?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The honest answer is "it depends".

Assuming you're referencing TACN, it all depends on what site you're monitoring (Chattanooga Simulcast cell?) and which talkgroups you're asking about. In order for a talkgroup to be active at a P25 site, there normally needs to be at least one subscriber radio affiliated with that talkgroup at that site. In other words, if you want to listen to TG 1234 at Site 1, then a radio needs to be affiliated with TG 1234 at Site 1, otherwise the TG won't be active there and you won't hear anything.

Also keep in mind that all of the radii in the RRDB are best guesstimates by the dbadmins. We try our best to use coordinates and a radius that is reasonable, but it's hardly an exact science. ;)

HMD

The honest answer is "it depends".

Assuming you're referencing TACN, it all depends on what site you're monitoring (Chattanooga Simulcast cell?) and which talkgroups you're asking about. In order for a talkgroup to be active at a P25 site, there normally needs to be at least one subscriber radio affiliated with that talkgroup at that site. In other words, if you want to listen to TG 1234 at Site 1, then a radio needs to be affiliated with TG 1234 at Site 1, otherwise the TG won't be active there and you won't hear anything.

Also keep in mind that all of the radii in the RRDB are best guesstimates by the dbadmins. We try our best to use coordinates and a radius that is reasonable, but it's hardly an exact science. ;)
I was pretty sure I'm out of range, but I wanted to understand why. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.