• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ragchewing on MURS

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I was saying *cringe* kind of tongue-in-cheek for the benefit of those who are staunchly against them. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Baofengs but in this situation (or similar) I'd certainly get them instead of the more expensive yet quality Motorolas. However, you do get what you pay for...but that's not what this thread is about so we'll not get into those facts. Moving on...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Was a valid statement. No licenses must be obtained to use MURS. Yes, it is LBR but no license must be applied for/obtained/kept up to date. No need to split hairs...

Hans13

Does Walmart hold a grandfathered license for the 154.x MURS frequencies, that would give them (maybe) primary status over license by rule usage?

I can't find anything in Part 95 giving grandfathered licenses in MURS priority. AFAIK, they are the same status as license by rule users.

n1das

I can't find anything in Part 95 giving grandfathered licenses in MURS priority. AFAIK, they are the same status as license by rule users.
I think for Walmart* it was easiest and least expensive for them to stay where they have been for many years.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

k8krh

MURS is a rag chew and conversation system, if you do not want to get a ham license, murs is license free, and to get out a bit further, buy a murs yagi/beam antenna, it will get you further out, I leave a radio on during the evening and sometimes hear skip coming in and say hello lot of fun.
POB/CEF795

Chrontius

Does Walmart hold a grandfathered license for the 154.x MURS frequencies, that would give them (maybe) primary status over license by rule usage?

Have heard this before but searching ULS hasn’t been productive. I have found several current licenses listing the two 154.x frequencies.... but none for Walmart.

Their grandfathered license has lapsed; this allows them to buy relatively cheap MURS radios, rather than contracting with Motorola to produce business radios with these channels -- normally not legal any more. For all the people with green/blue dot licenses who need to buy legal radios… I feel sorry for you.

Hans13

Their grandfathered license has lapsed; this allows them to buy relatively cheap MURS radios, rather than contracting with Motorola to produce business radios with these channels -- normally not legal any more.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They could have bought relatively cheap MURS radios along the way even if they kept their grandfathered license. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "normally not legal any more." If you mean that it's not legal for Motorola to produce business radios with MURS channels; it is and they do as their MURS radios.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don't know how much rag chewing you could do around where I live. I've monitored MURS and hardly ever hear anyone. Not to mention the power limitation and short range, I think it would be a pretty lonely venture.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They could have bought relatively cheap MURS radios along the way even if they kept their grandfathered license. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "normally not legal any more." If you mean that it's not legal for Motorola to produce business radios with MURS channels; it is and they do as their MURS radios.

Yeah...lots wrong in his post.

Hans13

I don't know how much rag chewing you could do around where I live. I've monitored MURS and hardly ever hear anyone. Not to mention the power limitation and short range, I think it would be a pretty lonely venture.

Me, myself, and I? :D

Two Walmart stores near where I live use MURS and they don't even bother to put CTCSS (PL) on their squelch. I once heard one store try to run some people off "our channel" and "we are going to report you" etc, where the people couldn't even hear them because those other stations were using tone squelch. Rather amusing.

Same at Wal-Marts here in Texas. No squelch codes. Employees become angry and threaten anyone who shows up on "their" channel.

I understand that getting a business license for 5,000 stores would be expensive, but they should at least inform them during New Employee Orientation that their radios are not private.

n1das

I understand that getting a business license for 5,000 stores would be expensive, but they should at least inform them during New Employee Orientation that their radios are not private.

....and the channels they use are SHARED with other users who are not Walmart* employees.

Agree 100%.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

rapidcharger

As of today, in the whole entire country there are around 60 active licenses for 154.57 and 154.6 (called blue dot and green dot back in the day) and walmart isn't one of them. There's no grandfathering of walmart.

that said, ragchewing on murs may not violate any rules but rule makers might determine that it goes against the purpose of the radio service and if that happens enough, they could end up changing the rules for everyone. It's inconsiderate to tie up a frequency when there's so few of them to begin with.

Marine_Cotporal

Simplex Kid
For the life of me, I can’t understand why anyone would want to bother and engage a business on MURS. Yes, I understand that it isn’t their frequency. Yes, I understand that 6 dollar an hour employees don’t know that.

But if you legitimately want to or need to use MURS to communicate and not just troll, why not move to another frequency and add a PL Code so that you can transmit unmolested and get your job done and let them get their jobs done in peace?

Instead, users high horse themselves with superiority and troll them. These 6 dollar and hour employees are just trying to do their jobs. From everything I’ve ever seen, the only productive use of MURS frequencies in town and cities ( not out in the woods 4 wheeling and hunting or on large properties in the sticks) are business that can’t use a cellphone all the time for quick transmissions.

Come on guys. Let’s be real here. Most people who aren’t involved in actually working just do it for fun and trolling purposes. They walk around with MURS listening in for their amusement and at the same time pick up theirs cell phones and not their MURS radios when their wives call them to pick up some milk at the store because MURS or FRS isn’t the most efficient way to communicate with them.

Behavior like this is childish an akin to calling businesses with prank calls. I use citizen band radios to easily communicate with my partner at work so that we don’t have to keep calling one another which takes longer and requires more steps. “Hey Jim. Meet me over here at X location and bring Y tool when you get the chance.” When we get interference from someone else, we just change to a different channel with a preprogrammed PL code.

Get a life gentleman.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Wal mart typically has 2 channels on csq. The rest are dpl toned. Some duplicated over.

There was a channel lineup with dpl but these days it varies store to store though most follow the standard of wally world, csq on 570, and 600 then dpl on rest plus those 2 used over again on dpl. Most run csq as their main channel.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
For the life of me, I can’t understand why anyone would want to bother and engage a business on MURS. Yes, I understand that it isn’t their frequency. Yes, I understand that 6 dollar an hour employees don’t know that.

But if you legitimately want to or need to use MURS to communicate and not just troll, why not move to another frequency and add a PL Code so that you can transmit unmolested and get your job done and let them get their jobs done in peace?

Instead, users high horse themselves with superiority and troll them. These 6 dollar and hour employees are just trying to do their jobs. From everything I’ve ever seen, the only productive use of MURS frequencies in town and cities ( not out in the woods 4 wheeling and hunting or on large properties in the sticks) are business that can’t use a cellphone all the time for quick transmissions.

Come on guys. Let’s be real here. Most people who aren’t involved in actually working just do it for fun and trolling purposes. They walk around with MURS listening in for their amusement and at the same time pick up theirs cell phones and not their MURS radios when their wives call them to pick up some milk at the store because MURS or FRS isn’t the most efficient way to communicate with them.

Behavior like this is childish an akin to calling businesses with prank calls. I use citizen band radios to easily communicate with my partner at work so that we don’t have to keep calling one another which takes longer and requires more steps. “Hey Jim. Meet me over here at X location and bring Y tool when you get the chance.” When we get interference from someone else, we just change to a different channel with a preprogrammed PL code.

Get a life gentleman.

Thus you will find some Walmart stores going to the DTR series.

While it easy put of box programming and any dtr could work I have found 2 stores so far that changed the out of box programming solving interference issues on murs including some having issues with stock out of box DTR radios by changing the DTR setup these days.

So if it becomes a problem they'll use DTR.

Buddy of mine is the manager at one of the local stores here and he is going to use DTR series or latest 3 lettered version which I forget and drop MURS use unless they have a store wide change and bring folks from other stores out of area to overhaul stock and departments then they'll use MURS he said. He had got a couple and likes it changing the out of box setup so it's more private. The range is better and they have no issues with the back of store to lot with the DTR where MURS it's scratchy.

His LP wishes Wal mart would go to a DMR encrypted setup on simplex.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
His LP wishes Wal mart would go to a DMR encrypted setup on simplex.

That's a bit excessive. I mean, I get why but the programming, etc., to get there would be a lot if you're talking about every store. If they need to talk in private they can call and use a bluetooth or wired headset...that's what they do locally, I've noticed.

rapidcharger

That's a bit excessive. I mean, I get why but the programming, etc., to get there would be a lot if you're talking about every store. If they need to talk in private they can call and use a bluetooth or wired headset...that's what they do locally, I've noticed.

Just a few years ago it would have been unthinkably over-the-top but dmr radios are cheap now and basic encryption is a very common feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.