Rahway PD: channel 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyS

A few days ago one of Rahway's cars directed another unit to go to "channel 2". It should have been a lengthy comm session between the two units. It wasn't simplex of 500.5125, nor was it 453.750, nor, AFAIK, was it any of Rahway's other licensed freqs. Anyone got the goods on this channel/freq?

Joseph11

Did you hear anything on Linden Police's Channel 1 or Linden Police's Channel 2?

Gilligan

Database Admin
You do realize that simplex comms are often only heard very close to the mobiles, right? Could they have been on simplex and just too far from your location?

TonyS

:D Yeah, Gilligan, I've been a radio nut for eons now. I'm in-town and they were on 40W mobiles, not portables, and Rahway's not that big a town so I should have heard them.

Joe, yeah I had the scanner going on all Union County towns' freqs and also tried a few other things and I couldn't find them. It's not the end of my world if I don't find it what it is, but I'd certainly like to know.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Okay, this could be a dumb question, but did you lock out the dispatch channel when they said that (to search for ch 2)? Where I'm from, many departments use ch 2 as a talkaround channel where they talk around the repeater on the output. If you would have locked out the dispatch channel you would have missed this. And there is the possibility that they could be using regular input or output freq w/ a different tone. Good luck. I love figuring out this stuff. Why else would an Okie be interested in NJ traffic...

TonyS

:D LOL! I hear ya. Yeah, I have their inputs in the scanner, too. I know they have a channel 2 but can't figure what it is. The only thing I can think of is they're using an old business freq or abandoned freq of thiers for it. I used to have a buddy on the FAS over there but he's been moved out of the area for years now. I'll get it one of these days.

Joseph11

Also try Linden's 453.1250 MHz repeater. I'm not sure if you have that programmed.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Tony and readers,

Since you went down the list of usual suspects;
000500.51250000 1 1 1 FB2 1 40.000 50.000
000501.13750000 1 1 2 FB2 1 40.000 50.000
all I can think of is the old PD frequency of 155.730MHz that they still hold the KEB464 license for after all these years. There's one more possibility, when they used the 453.125 repeater channel 6 was the output of the NYC sanitation department repeater, sorry, don't remember the frequency. You won't find it on the license, unlicensed low power simplex operation on the "secret channel" is perfectly legal. Bearing that in mind they could have the old Motorola HTs configured for just about anything.

Those mobiles are 30W and the repeaters are 40W, that's puzzling. You didn't mention the second repeater, did you try that channel 2? Usually the channel designations are 1, the main repeater, 2 simplex on it's output, 3 the secondary repeater and 4 it's output although it could go R R S S numbered in that order.

BTW, in the process of searching I got a surprise. One of the guys who operated a pirate radio station in town back in the late 60s now holds a GMRS license. Small world, WILD isn't it?

Last edited:

cfd1274

rpd ch.2

This has actually been discussed before.. RPD channel 2 is just non-repeated ch.1.. same for the FD. The PD has a talk around freq in the 500 band, but NO ONE ever uses it.. Most of the private comms are done via Nextel... Also, VHF high band has been abandoned, the new radio consoles do not have it, nor do any of the cars. EMS has VHF radios for JEMS/SPEN purposes only.

TonyS

I've been monitoring RPD for years now. I know about the simplex channels. If you read my posts though you'd read that the transmissions in question were NOT on 500.5125. I am close enough that I would have heard that. They weren't on portables, either, btw. Their MCS2000 mobiles they have can cover 450-512Mhz. They can use just about anything as long as it doesn't interfere with other agencies or licensed users of the freq(s) they want to temporarily use. I'm waiting for my friend to get back to me on. He's "in the know" over there but hard to get a hold of.

Status
Not open for further replies.