Rail Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

cratliff

I have been listening a little bit to railroad activity this week to see what is going on in those bands and I have not heard much. I live in NE Phoenix and use a small-ish "snoop" style antenna at the moment. I have a Diamond RH-77CA on the way as well. Any ideas on what Railroad activity should be in the Phoenix area? I dont live anywhere near any tracks or stations...

hulka

It depends on what you want to listen to, BNSF or UP. UP pretty much works off of the Signal system, sorry but I cant remember the name off hand. BNSF uses 2 channels depending where they are at.

The one I hear the most traffic on is 161.370. When a crew calls for a track warrant you will here 2 or 3 loud, think about 900mhz, tone come over the radio. The dispatcher is in Texas I believe and is usually DS-13.

Here is a great site for the Peavine, the track that go along Route 60/Grand Ave.

http://www.geocities.com/~aeromoe/Peavine.html

cratliff

That was a really interesting site. I am going to monitor those couple freq's that were listed on the site and see what I can hear! I may be too far away however to pick up a whole lot. I am about 25 miles east of the El Mirage station. I'll report back if I manage to get anything!

hulka

Channel 45 is a UP channel used in Phoenix. Heard a train getting clearance to head East today.

cratliff

oh.....i feel a little retarted....I see CTRL is a night owl like myself :)
Nothin like crusin' RR at 2am! ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.