Rail Company's, mainly UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Does anyone know if Union Pacific RailRaod are using analog or digital frequencies now? The reason I ask this is because they used to have Mile Post Repeaters, What I mean by this is at certain mile posts you would hear the following..

UP Mile post 96.7 No Defects, Total Axles XXX, Train Speed XX M.P.H. Detector out!
UP Mile Post 101.5, No Defects, Axle Count XXX, Current Train Speed XX M.P.H, Current Temperature XX F, Detector OUT!

And I haven't heard this since everything started switching over to digital.. This is why I ask if they are digital..I live close to a MAJOR UP RAIL TRACK and it's always busy...The dispatchers still use Analog. I still hear them but I don't hear the UP Mile Post Detectors anymore...Does anyone know if they've discontinued this or something? Just Curious.. Thanks In Advance For The Help...

wrr20891

Haven't heard of UP using digital anywhere in Arkansas for their defect detectors. The other UP detectors in the state are analog. There are several possibilities on why you may not be hearing them. They may have moved them. They may have switched them over to 'talk on defect only'. Something may have changed with your receiving set up. The detectors are low power, 5 watts or so.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
No digital AFAIK, but they have been giving out p25 handhelds for at least a year now.

Where are you trying to hear these TDD's att?

btritch

Nea..

Northeast Arkansas area.. There used to be one on Arkansas 69 South and also one on 49 North a halliday..I don't hear either of these before, I used to get them from my grandma's, she's right across the road, i've heard it for years from there until recently..That's why i was asking..

DPD1

If it's more than one that disappeared, I would bet that they switched to talk on defect only. They've done the same thing on many detectors nationwide, on more than just UP... Other railroads as well. Digital is not happening on normal road channels yet, probably not for a while.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Makers of the "TrainTenna" Monitoring Antenna

btritch

Oh, NOW I know what Talk on defect means, ONLY if there are any defects will it talk.. OK.. Must have because I used to hear it CONSTANTLY, Found it kind of interesting and it just Stopped, This explains probably why..

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Astro25 said:
In this neck of the woods CP Rail has started using Motorola PR1500s for portables.

I like my Kenwood tk2180. I can have all AAR channels, weather, and most of the old duplex phone patch channels.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I use my personal TK-290. It has 160 channels. I have all the AAR channels, weather, ham radio and public safety frequencies for the counties I work in/pass through.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
timkilbride said:
I use my personal TK-290. It has 160 channels. I have all the AAR channels, weather, ham radio and public safety frequencies for the counties I work in/pass through.

I dont have the stuff to edit the channel plan in my radio :(

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
MTS 2000... loud and sensitive, especially on speeder car trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.