Rail frequencies around Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
All,

Anybody got listings for a couple of frequencies somewhere around the Georgetown/Lexington area? I heard some traffic on the radio in the truck on my way back north from visiting family in Lexington:

AAR 072 (161.190) - Heard a track warrant issued but couldn't quite make out who or where. Probably closer to Lexington as it got farther north toward Georgetown.
AAR 076 (161.250) - Sounded like yard traffic and was clear as a bell right around the Georgetown intermodal yard.

I'm 99% sure 161.250 is the Georgetown intermodal yard, but the first one has me puzzled.

Tom

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Tom, the frequencies listed on my CNO&TP North feed are correct. AAR 027 is the road channel, AAR 056 is Ch. 2 until Blanchet, when it switches to AAR 056 for road, and AAR 009 for Ch. 2.

I believe Delaplain yard in Georgetown is on 076 for some yard operations, I recall adding them but Georgetown also heard the Kenova dispatcher clear as a bell from there. Most of the road switchers stay on 027. As for 072, you may have heard either Kenova on the South Portsmouth tower, or possibly Mon Valley (I think that's whos controlling it still) on the Buchanan Branch in VA, their transmitters can be heard pretty far from down there. Nowhere else nearby uses 072 that I know of. The Louisville District uses 079 for road, and 017 for Ch. 2

Mike

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I don't care much for railroad monitoring however I picked up 160.455 using NXDN48, RAN 1. Sounds like RJCC in Lexington however I'm not really sure. Monitored from southern Scott County.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I don't care much for railroad monitoring however I picked up 160.455 using NXDN48, RAN 1. Sounds like RJCC in Lexington however I'm not really sure. Monitored from southern Scott County.

I will be out that way to diagnose the issue with my CNO&TP North feed sometime soon, I’ll throw it in my radio and see what I hear. Did you identify any bits of traffic by chance? Might be a shop channel.

Mike

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
When new Toyota cars come off the assembly line, they are sent to two staging lots. One lot is for cars going on over the road trucks with car racks and the other lot is for cars going on trains with auto carriers. In both cases, the Toyota employees are the ones driving the cars to the staging lots.

After that, RJ Corman employees are the ones who actually drive the new cars from the staging lot onto (or into) the rail auto carrier cars. RJ Corman is also the one who switches the empty trains cars from the NS mainline down near I-75 up to the area (up an incline or hill) where the new cars are loaded onto the trains and then takes the loaded auto carriers back down to the NS tracks near I-75.

Norfolk Southern trains basically stop at the Toyota Plant to drop off empty car carriers, drop off loaded containers with parts, and pick up loaded auto carriers and pickup empty flat cars that carry containers. RJ Corman has been handling all of the rail activity on the main Toyota site for many years and about 4 or 5 years ago, they started providing the employees to actually drive the new cars onto the trains cars instead of Toyota employees. NS uses the small 3 or 4 track switching yard to set off and pickup the cars placed there by RJ Corman.

A friend of mine who is a long time Toyota employee started his career at Toyota driving new cars onto train cars but now has a different assignment but he occasionally interacts with the RJ Corman folks. Toyota can assemble approximately 500,000 cars a year so there is heavy daily activity loading new cars on to train cars.

That might be what you are hearing that sounds like RJ Corman traffic in that area. My friend is not into radios or scanners so he can't provide information about RJ Corman radio traffic. Where I live in southeast Lexington, I can't hear the RJ Corman radio traffic at the Toyota plant, I sometimes can hear the NS Dispatcher talking to the trains near Rogers Gap telling them about switching at the Toyota plant.

Last edited:

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
One typo correction for the above post.... The NS staging yard at the Toyota plant is NOT 3 or 4 tracks, it is actually 10 to 12 tracks, I had a momentary brain failure headed toward my fingers.:)

Also there are 16 loading tracks up at the Toyota plant where train auto carrier cars are placed to have new cars loaded on them. Each track can hold 5 train auto carriers cars, so the new Toyota cars can actually get driven thru as many as 5 trains cars while being loaded, My friend said that was almost like riding a roller coaster at times they way you go up and down to get from one train car to the next.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Did you identify any bits of traffic by chance? Might be a shop channel.

Mike
They were talking for about 40 seconds with 4 different radios keying up. I couldn't make out much of anything that was being said

That might be what you are hearing that sounds like RJ Corman traffic in that area. My friend is not into radios or scanners so he can't provide information about RJ Corman radio traffic.
Toyota Logistics uses a Conventional mixed-mode analog & DMR repeater for operations relating to the cars and trains, and in fact, I hear RJ Corman staff on that repeater daily coordinating with logistics.

Again I don't do any rail monitoring nor have an interest in it but happened to come across that freq last night. I will throw it in my NX-200's & 5200 and see what I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.