railroad antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikaze1

Premium Subscriber
ok id like to ask a question maybe its stupid maybe not i have a dpd vertical antenna up on a 35 ft mast thinking about adding another 10 to 15 ft will reception be beter or will it not matter? or will i get more intermod or will it pickup week DEDs or boost signal just a question i need a antenna guru to tell me the in's and outs of antennas higher or lower is there a beter hight to have vs another hight

jackj

It depends....Generally speaking, higher is better. An antenna at 35' will receive more signal than the same antenna at 10'. If you move your antenna from 35' to 100' then you will see an improvement in signal strength but moving the same antenna from 35' to 45' probably won't give an improvement that you would notice.

But....

Increasing the antenna's height will require more feed line in most cases which will increase the loss in the feed line. Depending on the type of coax you're using and the frequencies you listen to, you could end up with a worse signal going from 35' to 50'.

None the questions you have asked can be answered without more information. What type of coax are you using or will you use at the new level? What frequency band? Where are you located? Will raising the antenna 15' put it above a hill that is shielding you from interference. You get the idea,

Sorry.

kamikaze1

Premium Subscriber
It depends....Generally speaking, higher is better. An antenna at 35' will receive more signal than the same antenna at 10'. If you move your antenna from 35' to 100' then you will see an improvement in signal strength but moving the same antenna from 35' to 45' probably won't give an improvement that you would notice.

But....

Increasing the antenna's height will require more feed line in most cases which will increase the loss in the feed line. Depending on the type of coax you're using and the frequencies you listen to, you could end up with a worse signal going from 35' to 50'.

None the questions you have asked can be answered without more information. What type of coax are you using or will you use at the new level? What frequency band? Where are you located? Will raising the antenna 15' put it above a hill that is shielding you from interference. You get the idea,

Sorry.

i under stand that i will be scanning the 160 - 162 range i have 100ft lmr400 so i can really add sections if i need to im up on a hill about 15ft if u call that a hill but its higher then surrounding houses and yards

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All things considered going from 35' to 45 or 50 really won't buy you enough to make it worthwhile. If it were a grass burner it would be another matter entirely. Then the CNJ had a weed burner that started a brush fire and burned down a warehouse but that's another railroad story.

So Irv, your other car is a locomotive? You're a man in need of a bumper sticker.

Status
Not open for further replies.