Railroad base stations/repeaters in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a list of half-duplex base stations/repeaters actively used by Railroads throughout Colorado? (I suspect it would be 99.99% half-duplex base stations)

Mick

Not counting the repeaters for the Transportation Technology Center, Pueblo, and the Manitou & Pikes Peak Railway in Manitou Springs, here are two base station repeaters I've logged:

160.245R/161.535 WNAV782 BNSF, Cheyenne Mountain
161.040R/160.215 WQJF533 BNSF, Pueblo

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I just recently started scanning Railroads, and it looks like the CO RR layout is fairly accurate. I just realized that dispatchers from Omaha or Texas have the ability to light-up sites throughout the country, that's pretty crazy.

Do yardmasters, or anyone else besides dispatchers, have the ability to hear full conversations when a train is out of "simplex range"? Put another way, do yardmasters get special hardwire or microwave backhaul audio feeds from the dispatch center?

soundchaser

As for repeaters, UP seems to use the 19 (input)/97 (output) pair in more than one location.

There is a repeater in the Moffat Tunnel. In the database it's shown as E. Portal to Winter Park. It doesn't radiate very far from the tunnel, but on the east side I can pick it up as far east as Tolland. It seems weaker on the Winter Park side.

There is another repeater I've heard on the same channel pair from high elevation locations near Winter Park. Based on the conversation content and the database, I believe it is the Craig Subdivision.

Trivia: UP also uses a number of UHF repeaters along the Moffat route east of the Divide for remote control of the rear engines on a long train. These are used for when the front of the train is through a tunnel and on the other side of a hill than the rear of the train. It's all digital and not fun to listen to, but it does alert one to a train being in the area. I've logged 4 frequencies.

dw2872

I never really paid attention until now but I just heard a Burlington-Northern police/security officer come up on CSP Statewide and run a person for wants/warrants then he said he gave him a verbal warning for tresspassing on their tracks near Bijou St in Colorado Springs.

His mobile RID is 128970 and his portable is 126061. His callsign on CSP Statewide was "BN-227".

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I never really paid attention until now but I just heard a Burlington-Northern police/security officer come up on CSP Statewide and run a person for wants/warrants then he said he gave him a verbal warning for tresspassing on their tracks near Bijou St in Colorado Springs.

His mobile RID is 128970 and his portable is 126061. His callsign on CSP Statewide was "BN-227".

Tonight a male officer with the same call sign and Radio ID is in Denver on a call with Denver PD; he's dispatching on CSP Statewide/Denver (CSP) Dispatch. I've heard BN-227 on CSP Statewide talking with Denver Dispatch several times over the last week. I guess he has quite a "district" to work!

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Railroad Base Stations

Some of the predecessor railroads used different ways to communicate with trains. ATSF and DRGW had transmitters on Thorodin and Cheyenne Mtn for the road channels and mobile phone (PBX) channels. BN going north (Front Range Sub) and east (Brush Sub) used wayside transmitters that are still in use. If you listen to 161.100 MHz for the Brush Sub, you will hear the dispatcher come on and identify which transmitter he's using, i.e. Barr, Keenesburg, Rogeen, Wiggins, etc. Closer base stations but with shorter range on the old BN.

Railroad Police communications have undergone a complete change since I worked there in the 1980s and 90's. We had CSP 3 and NLEEC in our cars along with the railroad channels. The police now have DTRS radios for common communications with other police agencies we only dreamed of back when I was there. The watershed event was 911 and how the railroads were viewed.

Thayne

Last fall I worked on a strobe control panel for a site that is south of Seibert, CO that only had 1 railroad repeater & 1 Federal govt repeater in it (+ a really big wasp nest) I think it was a BN repeater.

Pretty lonesome around there.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
If you listen to 161.100 MHz for the Brush Sub, you will hear the dispatcher come on and identify which transmitter he's using, i.e. Barr, Keenesburg, Rogeen, Wiggins, etc. Closer base stations but with shorter range on the old BN.

I just realized that several BNSF dispatchers in the Denver-Metro area announce the transmitter their using by stating the transmitter location followed by "Radio", i.e. "Broomfield Radio" or "Sedalia Radio". Maybe one could conduct some sight-seeing and figure out where the transmitters are situated...

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
RR Base Stations

The old ATSF tended to use wider coverage transmitters than the BN east of Denver. Many of the BN transmitters were located near the right of way near a particular siding. The one that comes to mind immediately is the Brush transmitter. It sits on a hill east of downtown Brush, along Hwy 34. It's actually near a remote transmitter for FAA Denver Center located a little farther east along Hwy 34.

Status
Not open for further replies.