Railroad Channel Question

ComradeGlock

I am programming up a new radio for the railroad band. Analog and NXDN in different Zones.

I got all of the info from the RR DB, but I ran into a couple of questions.

1. Under NXDN, the DB lists “Channel 488, 161.5725”.

That’s outside the current Railroad Band. Does that channel/freq really exist in the railroad band?

The AAR Coordinator web site only shows up to the traditional 161.565. Channel 487/161.565 is licensed to 5 Class 1’s and most if not all of the new 6.25 “splinter” channels have been licensed, but 161.5725 isn’t licensed to anybody.

2. The DB lists the “splinter” channels as 108 – 196. I haven’t looked all of them up, but I did look up (in the FCC DB) several, and they’re all licensed with only NXDN emission types. The freq’s are obviously valid as they’re the same as listed in the 307-487 channel range, but I’m wondering if any of those channels actually exist as part of the railroad band plan.

Not in the biz, just a curious hobbyist and railfan.

Thanks for your help!

ecps92

I am programming up a new radio for the railroad band. Analog and NXDN in different Zones.

I got all of the info from the RR DB, but I ran into a couple of questions.

1. Under NXDN, the DB lists “Channel 488, 161.5725”.

That’s outside the current Railroad Band. Does that channel/freq really exist in the railroad band?

The AAR Coordinator web site only shows up to the traditional 161.565. Channel 487/161.565 is licensed to 5 Class 1’s and most if not all of the new 6.25 “splinter” channels have been licensed, but 161.5725 isn’t licensed to anybody.

2. The DB lists the “splinter” channels as 108 – 196. I haven’t looked all of them up, but I did look up (in the FCC DB) several, and they’re all licensed with only NXDN emission types. The freq’s are obviously valid as they’re the same as listed in the 307-487 channel range, but I’m wondering if any of those channels actually exist as part of the railroad band plan.

Not in the biz, just a curious hobbyist and railfan.

Thanks for your help!
The RRDB has much of the info you seek

AAR 001-097​

These channels are part of the original AAR band plan, and are widely used in the United States. After the narrowband mandate, AAR relabeled the channels with a 0 (zero) to indicate that the channel is now narrowband. Channel 24 (25KHz. wide) became 024 (12.5 KHz. wide) and the frequency remained the same. Channels 001-006 are used in Canada and in the US by some railroad trucking operations.

AAR 107-196​

Channels listed are an addition to the AAR band plan when narrowbanding took effect. These are "splinter channels" and reside in between the existing AAR channels. Great care must be taken when submitting information to the database as these are not widely used. Interference, poor receivers and the such may cause a scanner user to believe that one of these 100 series channels are in use when in fact it is a 007-097 series channel being used

AAR 307-487​

These channels are the standard railroad digital channels using NXDN modulation at 6.25kHz spacing. No RAN codes are programmed on these standard channels. Site specific exceptions are possible as those radios/channels are only used at a certain terminal or function. These channels reuse the same frequencies as AAR 001-097 and AAR 107-196

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
NXDN really is not used very much, certainly not on the road channels. Some yards <might> use digital, but for the most part, in the US anyways, are still analog. I've even heard some yards and short lines use DMR! I would drill down into the RR database for your local area of interest for details like usage of digital modes. Otherwise, for now assume analog.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
NXDN really is not used very much, certainly not on the road channels. Some yards <might> use digital, but for the most part, in the US anyways, are still analog. I've even heard some yards and short lines use DMR! I would drill down into the RR database for your local area of interest for details like usage of digital modes. Otherwise, for now assume analog.
it is in use on the road channels in Florida on FEC.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
it is in use on the road channels in Florida on FEC.

Florida East Coast Ry uses NXDN north of Cocoa/City Point around mp170 where the new BrightLine extension to Orlando diverges.

South of there they're too afraid to mess things up again for BrightLine so it's still analog all the way to Miami. No word yet on when that stretch will cut over.

On road trips throughout the eastern half of the U.S. I have heard what my ear thinks is P25 on a few railroad allocations. Since the FCC has hung an "open for bidniss" sign it's a free for all so I guess they might be refarming RR channels for other uses in some areas. But analog railroad comms still prevail out on the line of road and especially for interchange scenarios where crews from different roads need to coordinate moves.