Railroad DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

relay99

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else noticed some usage in and around the Cleveland or Akron area of DMR on rail frequencies? Two frequencies in particular I have caught more than once over the last few weeks that were decoded crystal clear with bcd496hp (with upgrade) were 160.260 and 160.290. Both are listed in RR database as Cuyahoga Valley operations but while checking FCC data saw it could be others. While the conversations were brief quick back and forth conversations and spaced out over an afternoon they were mostly very clear but did occasionally have some motorboating. The radio display from what I could catch clearly had dmr and color code 1 showing. Do not have any clue who it may be and no idea as to what system is in use as still trying to grasp this whole DMR thing. I have gotten motorboating noise on other frequencies too which if I understand correctly is that some railroads are known to use NXDN and the Unidens can't decode them. Will try to get more info off of the radios display. Anyone else hear DMR on the rails other than NXDN? Any Whistler folks catching any NXDN talk?

Last edited by a moderator:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I know the shop uses NXDN in Barstow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Anyone else hear DMR on the rails other than NXDN? Any Whistler folks catching any NXDN talk?

Not a whole lot of NXDN use by railroads yet. While it is the standard established by the AAR, the railroads don't seem to be in too big a hurry to convert to NXDN after their massive narrow-banding adventure a couple of years ago.

That being said, there is some NXDN use out there (mostly confined to yards and terminals), although I haven't heard much of it around Ohio. As far as DMR on the rails goes, I suspect you'll mostly see that used by industrial lines (such as ArcelorMittal as noted by jdolina) which don't wander out onto the national rail network too much, but usually keep their operations inside the plant fence.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
160.260 is ArcelorMittal rail Businesses Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference I had found that awhile back and submitted. I have some others that have been active I will post later when I can look them up.

Not sure why the administrator who worked your submission put it under Business instead of Railroads; the plant railroad at ArcelorMittal does connect to the outside rail network and is officially a common carrier railroad (also explains why I didn't see the frequency the last time I went train chasing in Cleveland and checked the frequency listings). I'll get it moved.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
My fault as that is where I submitted the entry. I was not aware they were part of the 'railroad' and not just a business

relay99

Premium Subscriber
Ohio Rail DMR

Thanks to WA8PYR for the great explanation to the how's and why's of the railroads usage of DMR. Also for the reply and added info from jdolina. I am enjoying the thrill of discovering and learning about these new digital systems when discovered. I was under the impression that NXDN was sweeping the country only to learn that it's not the case and that it is another form of a digital system out there in use but not very widespread. Most may think the rail frequencies, like Federal frequencies and many others that don't have constant traffic boring and with times nothing heard for long periods only to have the scanner light up to a crystal clear transmission in a digital form to me is way cool! I will keep my searches alive across all frequencies and report what I may find digitally to compare with others and will post as these forums are better to learn from than any textbook out there , if there is any! HaHaHa

Nasby

The other hit I have listed is 161.205 which was NXDN I did not get the ran or tg.

That is likely the NS Police. It has been their traditional police channel.

In addition to being on NXDN, they may also be encrypted.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The other hit I have listed is 161.205 which was NXDN I did not get the ran or tg.

I suspect that may be Norfolk Southern Police; I had heard they were now using NXDN exclusively, but not having an NXDN radio or time to play with DSD+ too much I haven't had a chance to verify around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.