Railroad in SE Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
Is there anything to monitor in Newburgh, Indiana ? My brother in law moved there from Lancaster, CA. I (we) know nothing about RR monitoring there. Thanks.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Newburgh is in southwest Indiana.

The Norfolk Southern main line between Louisville and St. Louis runs east-west through Princeton which is north of Newburgh. There's an NS branch line that runs from Huntingburg down to Evansville, but I don't think it's very busy. There's also a branch of that branch that runs from the Lincoln State Park area down to Rockport, but it may be nearly abandoned since the power plant at Rockport gets most of its coal by river barge. The steel mill north of Rockport may get some traffic. There's another branch that runs from Boonville to Yankeetown where there's an aluminum mill.

More interesting is probably CSX which runs north and south through Evansville. That's a busy line that carries traffic between Chicago and Nashville-Atlanta-Jacksonville. CSX Henderson Yard is southwest of downtown.

There's also a former NYC-PC-CR line now run by a shortline company that runs from Petersburg down to Evansville. Don't know how busy it is, though.

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
Excellent ! Thank You for taking the time on this. What frequencies are used on these lines? I see you are in Indiana. They have been in Newburgh for about 4 months. Quite a vhange from Lancaster, CA. Humidity not so much !

My Quote: "We're not all here, because we're not all there" :unsure:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I live central Indiana and haven't railfanned much in southwestern Indiana. Most of what I know comes from talking to other railfans online and studying railroad maps. If your BIL is on Facebook, there is a CSX CE&D Subdivision group which covers the CSX line through Evansville as well as other southern Indiana rail groups.

For frequencies, the RadioReference database would be a good place to start: Indiana Railroads (Indiana) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Also, the CSX Yard in Evansville is Howell Yard. The rail line that runs south out of Howell to Henderson, Kentucky, crosses the Ohio River on a long trestle before it crosses the river. In the spring, the low land south of Evansville often floods as seen in this photo: https://fineartamerica.com/featured...r-the-ohio-river-floodwaters-jim-pearson.html

Status
Not open for further replies.