Railroad Police on Michigan's MPSCS P25 Digital System

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I never see anyone discussing railroad communications on MPSCS P25 Digital here in Michigan. There is a fair amount of activity! I monitor MPSCS Macomb County simulcast system and it even carries traffic from the Canadian Pacific Railway. Anyone else catch these?

Railroad Police Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif

DECHEXModeAlpha TagDescriptionTag
217487eDAMTRAK1Amtrak 1Law Tac
2376948DNSRPD1Norfolk Southern 1Law Tac
2377949DRAILCOMRailroad Police CommonLaw Tac
237894aDCPRPD1Canadian Pacific Railway 1Law Tac
237994bDCPRPD2Canadian Pacific Railway 2Law Tac
2883b43DNSRPD2Norfolk Southern 2Law Tac
2884b44DNSRPD3Norfolk Southern 3Law Tac
2885b45DNSRPD4Norfolk Southern 4Law Tac
120892f39DCSXTPD1CSX Transportation 1Law Tac
120902f3aDCSXTPD2CSX Transportation 2Law Tac
120912f3bDCSAAPD1Conrail Shared Assets Area 1Law Tac
122612fe5DCNRPD1Canadian National Railway 1Law Tac
122622fe6DCNRPD2Canadian National Railway 2Law Tac

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
It's not uncommon. BNSF, CSX, and CP use or at the least have access to state trunked public safety systems in several states. West Virginia, New Jersey, Illinois and Nebraska come to mind. The TG's aren't all listed in the database however.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
In Illinois METRA Rail Police is on Starcom21 and dispatched by Cook County Sheriff. They are a municipal Rail Police department. CP Rail Police, BNSF, CN Police have dedicated Talkgroups. Belt Railway police, CSX and UP all have access to starcom21 but are not dispatched on them.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
In Illinois METRA Rail Police is on Starcom21 and dispatched by Cook County Sheriff. They are a municipal Rail Police department. CP Rail Police, BNSF, CN Police have dedicated Talkgroups. Belt Railway police, CSX and UP all have access to starcom21 but are not dispatched on them.
Now you've got me wondering! Does anyone know if CSX or NS use TACN in Tennessee? If so, "Having Access" vs "Actively Using" would be interesting questions to answer. I know there are some LEO and EMA organizations that have access to radio systems but have never even used them.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Now you've got me wondering! Does anyone know if CSX or NS use TACN in Tennessee? If so, "Having Access" vs "Actively Using" would be interesting questions to answer. I know there are some LEO and EMA organizations that have access to radio systems but have never even used them.

CSX has access, NS does not. Even in the states where NS does have access to a State system, they continue to use a combination of their own encrypted NXDN conventional network and MDT's.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Also on Starcom21
Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Police Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
4876130cDBNSF PoliceDispatch (Cook/DuPage) Law Dispatch
4877130dDBNSF Police TacTac (Cook/DuPage) Law Tac

Canadian National Railway Police [*need loc] Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif

3591e07DCN Rail PoliceCanadian National Railway - Police Law Talk

Canadian Pacific Railway Police Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif

365168ea4DeCP Rail PD 36516Railroad Police Operations Law Talk
365178ea5DCP Rail PD 36517Railroad Police Operations Law Talk
365188ea6DCP Rail PD 36518Railroad Police Operations Law Talk

Metra Commuter Rail Police Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif

Metra Police patrol seven of the system's 11 lines in the counties of Cook, DuPage, Lake, Will, McHenry and Kane in Northeastern Illinois. The three Union Pacific lines and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe line all have separate police forces.

2991bafDMetraPolice DispDispatch Law Dispatch
2992bb0DMetraPolice Ctl2Control 2 Law Talk
2993bb1DMetraPolice OpsOperations Law Talk
2994bb2DMetraPolice TacSpecial Operations Law Tac
2995bb3DMetraPolice 2995Operations Law Tac
2996bb4DMetraPolice 2996Operations Law Tac

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I see CN Police active on the St Clair site quite frequently, however I noticed it's always the same RID... so I assume it's being patched in from something else.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I see CN Police active on the St Clair site quite frequently, however I noticed it's always the same RID... so I assume it's being patched in from something else.

Likely is the two-way patch of 160.44000 (CNR Law Main 1) and 160.47000 (CNR Law Ops 2). Main ops for CNR Police are on the system though.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Also remember its CN/IC from IL to NOLA. This was proven in court that CN has no assets and owns no property in LA, MS, or IL. All CN assets are owned and managed by another company once they cross into the USA. Its how they get out of several lawsuits, including one pending by City of Jackson, MS.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Also remember its CN/IC from IL to NOLA. This was proven in court that CN has no assets and owns no property in LA, MS, or IL. All CN assets are owned and managed by another company once they cross into the USA. Its how they get out of several lawsuits, including one pending by City of Jackson, MS.

You're right and wrong at the same time. This is where it gets muddy when you get into railroad law when you start talking about international operations. They do own it all...yet they don't. The operations in Michigan/Wisconsin/Indiana are directly owned by the Grand Trunk Corporation, assets in Minnesota/Pennsylvania/soon to be New York are owned by The Bessemer & Lake Erie Company (a wholly owned subsidiary of Grand Trunk Corporation) while the southern assets are owned by the Illinois Central Asset Management (wholly owed subsidiary of Grand Trunk Corporation). All of which at the top of the chain is owned entirely as Class B stock (private) by Canadian National Railway.

It's convoluted but it makes it legal.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You're right and wrong at the same time. This is where it gets muddy when you get into railroad law when you start talking about international operations. They do own it all...yet they don't. The operations in Michigan/Wisconsin/Indiana are directly owned by the Grand Trunk Corporation, assets in Minnesota/Pennsylvania/soon to be New York are owned by The Bessemer & Lake Erie Company (a wholly owned subsidiary of Grand Trunk Corporation) while the southern assets are owned by the Illinois Central Asset Management (wholly owed subsidiary of Grand Trunk Corporation). All of which at the top of the chain is owned entirely as Class B stock (private) by Canadian National Railway.

It's convoluted but it makes it legal.
Same with Canadian Pacific .. When I worked on CP Rail Police vehicles they were owned and registered to SOO Line Corporation or Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern Ry or Iowa, Chicago and Eastern Ry though fully marked as CP Rail Police

Status
Not open for further replies.